- Volume 35 Issue 4
Growth Inhibition of Human Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas by Angelica decursiva Extracts
- Shin, Woo-Cheol (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University School of Dentistry) ;
- Kim, Chun-Sung (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University School of Dentistry) ;
- Kim, Heung-Joong (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University School of Dentistry) ;
- Lee, Myoung-Hwa (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University School of Dentistry) ;
- Kim, Hye-Ryun (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University School of Dentistry) ;
- Kim, Do-Kyung (Department of Oral Physiology, Chosun University School of Dentistry)
- Received : 2010.08.25
- Accepted : 2010.11.05
- Published : 2010.12.31
Angelica decursiva has been used in Korean traditional medicine as an antitussive, an analgesic, an antipyretic and a cough remedy. However, the anti-cancer properties of Angelica decursiva have not yet been well defined. In our current study the cytotoxic activity of ethanol extracts of Angelica decursiva root (EEAD) and the mechanism of cell death exhibited by EEAD were examined in FaDu human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma cells. The cytotoxic effects of EEAD upon the growth of FaDu cells were examined with an MTT assay. In addition, the mechanism of cell death induced by EEAD was evaluated by DNA fragmentation analysis, immunoblotting and caspase activation measurements. EEAD induced apoptotic cell death in FaDu cells in a concentration- and time-dependent manner, as determined by MTT assay and DNA fragmentation analysis. Furthermore, the proteolytic processing of caspase-3, -7 and -9 was increased by EEAD treatment of FaDu cells. In addition, the activation of caspase-3 and -7 was detected in living FaDu cells by fluorescence microscopy. These results suggest that EEAD can induce apoptosis and suppress cell growth in cancer cells and may have utility as a future anticancer therapy.
Supported by : 조선대학교
- Capuani S, Gili T, Bozzali M, Russo S, Porcari P, Cametti C, D'Amore E, Colasanti M, Venturini G, Maraviglia B, Lazzarino G, Pastore FS. L-DOPA preloading increases the uptake of borophenylalanine in C6 glioma rat model : A new strategy to improve BNCT efficacy. Int J Radiat Oncol. 2008;72:562-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.06.1493
- Cheng YL, Lee SC, Lin SZ, Chang WL, Chen YL, Tsai NM, Liu YC, Tzao C, Yu DS, Harn HJ. Anti-proliferative activity of Bupleurum scrozonerifolium in A549 human lung cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett. 2005;222:183-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2004.10.015
- Chicca A, Adinolfi B, Martinotti E, Fogli S, Breschi MC, Pellati F, Benvenuti S, Nieri P. Cytotoxic effects of Echinacea root hexanic extracts on human cancer cell lines. J Ethnopharmacol. 2007;110:148-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.09.013
- Christou L, Hatzimichael E, Chaidos A, Tsiara S, Bourantas KL. Treatment of plasma cell leukemia with vincristine, liposomal doxorubicin and dexamethasone. Eur J Hematol. 2001;67:51-3. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0609.2001.067001051.x
- Cohen GM. Caspases: the executioners of apoptosis. Biochem J. 1997;326:1-16. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj3260001
- Datta R, Kojima H, Yoshida K, Kufe D. Caspase-3-mediated cleavage of protein kinase C theta in induction of apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:20317-20. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.33.20317
- Green DR, Reed JC. Mitochondria and apoptosis. Science. 1998;281:1308-12.
- Hengartner MO. The biochemistry of apoptosis. Nature. 2000;407:770-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/35037710
- Hoshino T, Hara A, Inoue M, Honda J, Imai Y, Oizumi K, Yokoyama MM. Flowcytometric measurement of NK cell cytotoxicity. J Clin Lab Immunol. 1991;36:39-43.
- Hostanska K, Jurgenliemk G, Abel G, Nahrstedt A, Saller R. Willow bark extract (BNO1455) and its fractions suppress growth and induce apoptosis in human colon and lung cancer cells. Cancer Detect Prev. 2007;31:129-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdp.2007.03.001
- Hu H, Ahn NS, Yang X, Lee YS, Kang KS. Ganoderma lucidum extract induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in MCF-7 human breast cancer cell. Int J Cancer. 2002;102:250-3. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10707
- Hu W, Kavanagh JJ. Anticancer therapy targeting the apoptotic pathway. Lancet Oncol. 2003;4:721-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(03)01277-4
- Hwang IN, Jeong YJ, Jung JY, Lee JH, Kim KM, Kim WJ. Mechanism underlying NO-induced apoptosis in human gingival fibroblasts. Int J Oral Biol. 2009;34:7-14.
- Hwang JH, Kim JY, Cha MR, Park HR. Effect of methanolic extract from silkworm droppings on proliferation and caspase activity in HT-29 human colon cancer cells. J Med Food. 2007;10:467-72. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2006.165
- Jun JH, Ryoo HM, Woo KM, Kim GS, Baek JH. Bone morphogenetic protein 2-induced MAPKs activation is independent of the Smad1/5 activation. Int J Oral Biol. 2009; 34:115-21.
- Kaufmann SH, Earnshaw WC. Induction of apoptosis by cancer chemotherapy. Exp Cell Res. 2000;256:42-9. https://doi.org/10.1006/excr.2000.4838
- Kaufmann SH, Hengartner MO. Programmed cell death : alive and well in the new millennium. Trends Cell Biol. 2001;11:526-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0962-8924(01)02173-0
- Kim JY, Kim HS, Kang HS, Choi JS, Yokozawa T, Chung HY. Antioxidant potential of dimethyl lithospermate isolated from Salvia miltiorrhiza (red sage) against peroxynitrite. J Med Food. 2008;11:21-8. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2007.040
- Kwon JI, Kim GY, Park KY, Ryu CH, Choi YH. Induction of apoptosis by linoleic acid is associated with the modulation of Bcl-2 family and Fas/FasL system and activation of caspases in AGS human gastric adenocarcinoma cells. J Med Food. 2008;11:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2007.073
- Lee SM, Li ML, Tse YC, Leung SC, Lee MM, Tsui SK. Paeoniae Radix, a chinese herbal extract, inhibit hepatoma cells growth by inducing apoptosis in a p53 independent pathway. Life Sci. 2002;71:2267-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(02)01962-8
- Liu X, Zou H, Slaughter C, Wang X. DFF, a heterodimeric protein that functions downstream of caspase-3 to trigger DNA fragmentation during apoptosis. Cell. 1997;89:175-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)80197-X
- Mukherjee AK, Basu S, Sarkar N, Ghosh AC. Advances in cancer therapy with plant based natural products. Curr Med Chem. 2001;8:1467-86. https://doi.org/10.2174/0929867013372094
- Park DI, Lee JH, Moon SK, Kim CH, Lee YT, Cheong J, Choi BT, Choi YH. Induction of apoptosis and inhibition of telomerase activity by aqueous extract from Platycodon grandiforum in human lung carcinama cells. Pharmacol Res. 2005;51:437-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2004.11.003
- Paschka AG, Butler R, Young CYF. Induction of apoptosis in prostate cancer cell lines by the green tea component, (−)- epigallocatechin-3-gallate. Cancer Lett. 1998;130:1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(98)00084-6
- Pezutto JM. Plant-derived anticancer agents. Biochem Pharmacol. 1997;53:121-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(96)00654-5
- Reed JC. Apoptosis-regulating proteins as targets for drug discovery. Trends Mol Med. 2001;7:314-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1471-4914(01)02026-3
- Smets LA. Programmed cell death (apoptosis) and response to anti-cancer drugs. Anti-Cancer Drug. 1994;5:3-9.
- Tan ML, Suaiman SF, Najimuddin N, Smian MR, Tengku Muhammad TS. Methanolic extract of Pereskia bleo (Kunth) DC. (Cactaceae) induces apoptosis in breast carcinama, T47- D cell line. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;96:287-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.09.025
- Tian Z, Chen S, Zhang Y, Huang M, Shi L, Huang F, Fong C, Yang M, Xiao P. The cytotoxicity of naturally occurring styryl lactones. Phytomedicine. 2006;13:181-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2004.07.010
- van Poppel G, van den Berg H. Vitamins and cancer. Cancer Lett. 1997;114:195-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(97)04662-4
- Yang HL, Chang WH, Chia YC, Huang CJ, Lu FJ, Hsu HK, Hseu YC. Toona sinensis extracts induces apoptosis via reactive oxygen species in human premyelocytic leukemia cells. Food Chem Toxicol. 2006;44:1978-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2006.06.027