- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing the Experiences of Sexual Violence Victims while Dating as College Students
대학생의 데이트 성폭력 피해경험에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Lee, Eun-Sook (Department of Nursing, Chunnam Techno College) ;
- Kang, Hee-Sun (Sexual Harassment-Violence Counseling Center, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2010.07.20
- Accepted : 2010.09.02
- Published : 2010.09.20
Purpose: This study was conducted to identify the factors influencing the experience of sexual violence victims while dating as College Students. Methods: With a correlational survey design, data was collected by self-report questionnaires from 560 college students who had reported sexual violence during a date. The data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: College students while on date who reported sexual violence showed a significantly negative correlation with self-esteem, dating sexual assault recognition, sexual assertiveness, and significantly positive correlations with the gender role stereotypes, sexual violence permissiveness, date sexual violence inflictions, and family violence. A combination of date sexual violence inflictions, self-esteem, sexual violence permissiveness, sexual assertiveness all accounted for 41% of the variance in date sexual violence among college students. Conclusion: Self-esteem and sexual assertiveness must be progressively uplifted in order to prevent date sexual violence. A specific program established to reduce sexual violence permissiveness would be useful in order to reduce the number of sexual violence victims for college students who are dating.
- Ahn, G. Y. R. (2002). Personal risk factors related to dating violence. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 9, 55-75.
- Choi, M. H. (2005). Factors influencing sexual assertiveness among women college students. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Diann, M. A., & Dianne, N. (2002). Date violence and date rape among adolescents: Association with disordered eating behaviors and psychological health. Child Abuse & Neglect, 26, 455-473. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(02)00322-8
- Emilio, C. U.,＆Monica, D. U. (2008). Sexual relationship power as a mediator between dating violence and sexually transmitted infections among college. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 27 (9), 539-565.
- Jang, H. S., ＆ Cho, H. G. (2001). The prevalence and risk factors of dating violence among university students. Korean Journal of Family Social Work, 8, 197-204.
- Jang, M. S. (2003). (The) Relationship between experiences of sexual violence at school and mental health, sexual attitudes among male & female adolescents. Unpublished master's thesis, Hoseo University, Seoul.
- Jang, Y. K. (2002). A study on date sexual violence victims experience. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, D. I. (1999). Sociology of gender. Seoul: Muneumsa
- Kim, H. S. (2001). The sexual behavior by the attachment and love style in university students. Unpublished doctor's thesis, Dongguk University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. R. (1999). College students' dating violence and coping behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Kim, N. Y. (2002). A study on the influence of sexual violence severity and negative life attitude on the mental health. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, O. S. (2005). The effects of family violence ＆ tolerance towards violence on dating violence among college students victims. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju.
- Kim, Y. J. (2006). The effect of sexual decision-making ability and sexual attitude of high school girls. Unpublished master's thesis, Changwon University, Changwon.
- Koh, H. R. (2006). (An) Analysis of rape case perception difference: With special to sex-role stereotype, rape myths effects. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Korean Institute of Criminology (2000). A study on the Korean sexuality and sexual violence. Seoul: Korean Institude of Criminology.
- Lee, J. H. (2007). Psychological symptoms of date violence. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. Y., ＆ Lee, E. S. (2005). The explanatory models of dating violence and victimization with dating partners among college students. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 17 (2), 419-436.
- Luthra, R., ＆ Gidycz, C. A. (2006). Dating violence among college men and women: Evaluation of a theoretical model. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 21 (6), 717-731. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260506287312
- Nam, H. M. (2003). A study on predicting date rape among university students. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Nam, W. K. (2008). A study on experiences and factors of sexual violence while dating among unmarried men in Busan. Unpublished master's thesis, Silla University, Busan.
- O'Keefe, M. (1997). Predictors of dating violence among high school students. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 12 (4), 546-568. https://doi.org/10.1177/088626097012004005
- Park, M. R. (2007). Relationships among gender role attitudes, sexual attitudes, impulsivity, internet pornography addiction and sexual violence permissiveness. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyungnam University, Masan.
- Patricia, J. M., Kathryn, Q., Lisa, L. H., Laura, W., Diane, M.G., Pamela, R. G., et al. (1997). Sexual assertiveness scale for women: Development and validation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 73 (4), 790-804. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- Rohini, L., ＆ Christine, A. G. (2006). Dating violence among college men and women: Evaluation of a theoretical model. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 21 (6), 717-731. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260506287312
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, Princeton University Press.
- Seo, K. H., ＆ Lee, K. S. (2002). Anger, psychoticism, and addiction in dating violence inflictors and recipients. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 7 (3), 353-368.
- Song, H. S. (2006). A study of college students in the relationship among sexuality, self-assertiveness and self-esteem. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyeongsang University, Jinju
- Straus, M. A. (1979). Prevalence of violence against dating partners by male and female university students worldwide. Violence against Women, 10 (7), 790-811.
- Sugarman, D, B. (1996). Risk marker analysis of husband-towife violence: A continuum of aggression. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 26 (4), 313-328. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1996.tb01852.x
- Yu, S. H. (2000). (A) Study on the factor mediating the link between family violence victimization and dating violence victimization of college women: Focusing on the acceptability of dating violence. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.