- Volume 53 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Medicinal Herbs Extracts on Physicochemical Characteristics of Cooked Rice
복합 약용식물 추출물이 쌀밥의 이화학적 특성에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Yong-Sik (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Ha (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Ha, Hyun-Jee (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Shin-Young (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choi, Yoon-Hee (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Eun-Mi (Fermentation and Food Processing Division, National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration)
- 조용식 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 발효이용과) ;
- 이경하 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 발효이용과) ;
- 하현지 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 발효이용과) ;
- 박신영 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 발효이용과) ;
- 최윤희 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 발효이용과) ;
- 김은미 (농촌진흥청 국립농업과학원 발효이용과)
- Received : 2010.09.29
- Accepted : 2010.12.02
- Published : 2010.12.31
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of medical herbs extracts on physicochemical characteristics of cooked rice. Three types (CLP 1, CLP 2, CLP 3) of extracts were prepared using 11 medicinal herbs, respectively. Polished rice was cooked with different concentration of medicinal herbs extracts by electric cooker. The moisture contents in cooked rice were decreased by increased concentration of herbs extracts, while total polyphenol contents were significantly increased. DPPH radical scavenging activities of cooked rice obviously were increased as herb extracts level increased. The consistency and setback value of the rice flour was reduced at all of the extracts, while breakdown and initial pasting temperature was increased. Color of cooked rice was shown different comparing to the control. However, the hardness, adhesiveness, springiness, cohesiveness and gumminess of cooked rice was increased depending on the concentration of extracts. These results showed that medicinal herbs extracts, which can benefit human health, is inducing the changes of physicochemical characteristics of cooked rice.
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 17th ed. Arlington, Virginia.
Bao JS and Corke H (2002) Pasting properties of
$\gamma$-irradiated rice starches as affected by pH. J Agr Food Chem 50, 336-341. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010230c
- Beta T and Corke H (2004) Effect of ferulic acid and catechin on sorghum and maize starch pasting properties. Cereal Chem 81, 418-422. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2004.81.3.418
- Cai YZ, Luo Q, Sun M and Corke H (2004) Antioxidant activity and phenolic compounds of 112 traditional Chinese medicinal plants associated with anticancer. Life Sci 74, 2157-2184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2003.09.047
- Cardoso MB, Putaux JL, Samios D and Silveira NP (2007) Influence of alkali concentration on the deproteinization and/or gelatinization of rice starch. Carbohyd Polym 70, 160-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2007.03.014
- Choi GH, Kim KC and Lee KH (2010) Quality and antioxidant characteristics of soft Tofu supplemented with red ginseng extract during storage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39, 414-420. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.414
- Choo NY (2002) Effect of water extracts of Gardenia jasminoides on the sensory quality and putrefactive microorganism of cooked rice. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 18, 543-547.
- Deshpande SS and Salunkhe DK (1982) Interactions of tannic acid and catechin with legume starches. J Food Sci 47, 2080-2081. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1982.tb12956.x
- Funami T, Kataoka Y, Omoto T, Goto Y, Asai I and Nishinari K (2005) Effects of non-ionic polysaccharides on the gelatinization and retrogradation behavior of wheat starch. Food Hydrocolloid 19, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2004.04.024
- Gunaratne A, Ranaweera S and Corke H (2007) Thermal, pasting and gelling properties of wheat and potato starches in the presence of sucrose, glucose, glycerol and hydroxypropyl beta-cyclodextrin. Carbohyd polym 70, 112-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2007.03.011
- Heo YJ, Sim KH, Choi HY and Kim SI (2010) Antioxidant activity of crakers made with a Guava(Psidium guajava Linn.) leaf extract harvested in Korea. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 26, 171-179.
- Hibi Y (1982) Property of rice gruel boiled in water (Shiragayu) and tea(Chagaya) Japan J Home econ Assoc 33, 565-572.
- Im JG and Kim YH (1999) Effect of green tea addition on the quality of white bread. Korean J Food Sci 15, 395-400.
- Jeong CH, Kang ST, Joo OS, Lee SC, Shin YH, Shim KH, Cho SH, Choi SG and Heo HJ (2009) Phenolic content, antioxidant effect and acetylcholinesterase inhibitory activity of Korean commercial green, puer, oolong and black teas. Korean J Food Preserv 16, 230-237.
- Kim Do, Lee KW, Lee HJ and Lee CY (2002) Vitamin C equivalent antioxidant capacity (VCEAC) of phenolic phytochemicals. J Agr Food Chem, 50, 3713-3717. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020071c
- Kim EY, Baik IH, Kim JH, Kim SR and Rhyu MR (2004) Screening of the antioxidant activity of some medicinal plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36, 333-338.
- Kim HS and Kang JS (2008) Preparation and characteristics of bread by medicinal herb composites with immunostimulating activity. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37, 109-116. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.1.109
- Kim SD, Do JH and Oh HI (1981) Antioxidant activity of panax ginseng browning products. J Korean agri Chem Soc 24, 161-166.
- Kim SI, Ko SH, Lee YJ, Choi HY and Han YS (2008) Antioxidant activity of yogurt supplemented with gingseng extract. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24, 358-366.
- Lim YS, Park KN and Lee SH (2007) Effect of Tumeric (Curcuma aromatica Salab.) extract on shelf life of cooked rice. Korean J Food Preserv 14, 445-450.
OH SH, Lee YS, Kim JH, Kim JH, Lee JW, Kim MR, Yook HS and Byun MW (2006) Effect of pH on non-enzymatic browning reaction
$\gamma$-irradiation processing using sugar and sugar-glycine solutions. Food Chem 94, 420-427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.11.034
- Park KT and Kim DW (2003) Studies on development of functional herbal food based on Yaksun: Focusing on the relevant Chinese literature. Korea J Culinary Res 9, 191-202.
- Park YO and Lim HS (2007) Effect of the extract of bamboo (Sasa borealis) leaves on the physical and sensory characteristics of cooked rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36, 908-914. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.7.908
- Park YS (1998) Effect of Prunus mume extract on the sensory quality and shelf life of cooked rice. Korean J Soc Food Sci 14, 503-508.
- Roh HJ, Shin YS, Lee KS and Shin MK (1996) Antimicrobial activity of water extract of green tea against cooked rice putrefactive microorganism. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28, 66-71.
- Shahidi F, McDonald J, Chandrasekara A and Zhong Y (2008) Phytochemicals of foods, beverages and fruit vinegars: Chemistry and health effects. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17, 380S-382S.
- Shan B, Cai YZ, Brooks JD and Corke H (2007) The in vitro antibacterial activity of dietary spice and medicinal herb extracts. Int J Food Microbiol 117, 112-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2007.03.003
- Shin DH and Lee YH (2004) Effect of green tea powder on the sensory quality of cooked rice. Korean J Food Nutr 17, 266-271.
- Shim JY, Hwang EH, Lee IH and Jang HS (2005) Production of Ramyen from Korean cultured wheat by adding with hot water extract power of safflower seed. J East Asian Soc Dietary life 15, 78-90.
- Wu Y, Chen Z, Li X and Li M (2009) Effect of tea polyphenols on the retrogradation of rice starch. Food Res Int 42, 221-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2008.11.001
- Zhu F, Cai YZ, Sun M and Corke H (2009) Effect of phytochemical extracts on the pasting, thermal and gelling properties of wheat starch. Food Chem 112, 919-923. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.06.079