- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Efficient Log Buffer Management Scheme of Flash Memory Through Delay of Merging Hot Data Blocks
HOT 데이터 블록 병합 지연을 이용한 효율적인 플래시 메모리 로그 버퍼 관리 기법
- 김학철 (충북대학교 정보통신공학과) ;
- 박용훈 (충북대학교 정보통신공학과) ;
- 윤종현 (한국전자통신연구원 지식e러닝연구팀) ;
- 서동민 (한국과학기술원 전자계산학과) ;
- 송석일 (충주대학교 컴퓨터공학과) ;
- 유재수 (충북대학교 정보통신공학과)
- Published : 2010.01.28
In this paper, we propose a new log buffer management scheme considering the accessibility of the data. Our proposed scheme evaluates the worth of the merge of log blocks. It conducts the merge operations between infrequently updated data and the data blocks and postpones as much as possible the merge operations between frequently updated data and the data blocks. As a result, the proposed method prevents the unnecessary merge operations, reduces the number of the erase operations, and improves the utilization of the flash memory storage. In order to show the superiority of the proposed scheme, we compare it with BAST and FAST. It is shown through performance evaluation that the proposed method achieves about 25% and 65% performance improvements over BAST and FAST on average in terms of the number of the erase operations.
Flash memory;Log Blocks;FTL
- E. Gal and S. Toledo "Algorithms and data structures for flash memories," ACM Comput. Surv, Vol.37, No.2. pp.138-16, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1145/1089733.1089735
- S. E. Wells and C. H. Calif, “Method for wear leveling in a flash EEPROM memory," United States Patent, No.5,341,339, 1994.
- S. W. Han, “"Flash memory wear leveling system and method,” United States Patent, No. 6,016,275, 2000.
- J. S Kim, J. M. Kim, S. H. Noh, S. L. Min, and Y. K. Cho, “A space-efficient flash translation layer for Compact Flash systems,” IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, pp.366-375, 2002(5). https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2002.1010143
- S. W. Lee, D. J. Park, S. W. Lee, T. S. Chung, D. H. Lee, S. W. Park, and H. J. Song, “A Log Buffer-Based Flash Translation Layer Using Fully-Associative Sector Translation,” ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, Vol.6 Issue 3, 2007(7). https://doi.org/10.1145/1275986.1275990
- SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS. Nand flash memory & smartmedia data block, 2005.
- SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS, Nand Flash memory, K9F2G08R0B data book, 2007.
- B. S. KIM and G. Y. LEE, "Method of driving remapping in flash memory and flash memory architecture suitable therefore," United States Patent, No.6,381,176, 2002(4).
- C. Park, J. Seo, D. Seo, S. Kim, and B. Kim, "Cost-efficient memory architecture design of nand flash memory embedded systems," In Proccedings of the 21st International Conference on Computer Design(ICCD '03), pp.474-480, 2003(10). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCD.2003.1240943