- Volume 10 Issue 1
The purpose of this study was to examine the validity of the Manual Ability Classification System (MACS) by analysing of relation between MACS and Jebsen-Talyor Hand Function Test. The concurrent validity was examined by calculation of correlation between MACS and Jabsen-Talyor Hand Function test and the discriminant validity was examined by measurement of hand function difference according to MACS level. For this, eighty-one children with spastic cerebral palsy were employed in this study. The children were evaluated by using the MACS and Jebsen-Taylor Hand Function Test for their hand function. There were a significant correlation between the MACS and Hand function (r = .870, p < .05). The good correlation between the MACS and subtest of Jabsen-Talyor Hand function (p < .05). The hand function according to the MACS level were different significantly (p < .05). The MACS is valid classification system for assessment of hand function of children with cerebral palsy. The MACS in practice will provide usefulness for assessment of hand function in children with spastic cerebral palsy.
Cerebral Palsy;Manual Ability Classification System;Validity
- M. Bax, " Terminology and Classification of Cerebral Palsy," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.6, pp.295-297, 1964. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1964.tb10791.x
- L. Mutch, E. Alberman, B. Hagberg, B, K. Kodama, and M. Velicovic Perat, "Cerebral Palsy Epidemiology: Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?", Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.34, No.6, pp.547-551, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1992.tb11479.x
- M. Arner, A. C. Eliasson, S. Nicklasson, K. Sommerstein, and G. Hägglund, "Hand Function in Cerebral Palsy: Report of 367 Children in a Population-Based Longitudinal Health Care Program," The J. of Hand Surgery, Vol.33, No.8, pp.1337-1347, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2008.02.032
- P. Uvebrandt, "Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy: Aetiology and Outcome," Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica Supplement, Vol.345, pp.1-100, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.1988.tb14939.x
- E. Fedrizzi, E. Pagliano, E. Andreucci, and G. Oleari, "Hand Function in Children with Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy: Prospective Follow-up and Functional Outcome in Adolescence," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.45, No.2, pp.85-91, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2003.tb00910.x
- World Health Organization, International Classification of Functioning Disability and Health(ICF), Geneva: World Health Organization, Pub, 2001.
- R. Palisano, P. Rosenbaum, S. Walter, D. Russell, E. Wood, and B. Galuppi, "Development and Reliability of a System to Classify Gross Motor Function in Children with Cerebral Palsy," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.39, No.4, pp.214-223, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1997.tb07414.x
- C. Morris and D. Bartlett, "Gross Motor Function Classification System: Impact and Utility," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.46, No.1, pp.60-65, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2004.tb00436.x
- E. Beckung and G. Hagberg, "Neuroimpairments, Activity Limitations, and Participation Restrictions in Children with Cerebral Palsy," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.44, No.5, pp.309-316, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2002.tb00816.x
- A. C. Eliasson, L. Krumlinde-Sundholm, and B. Rosblad, "The Manual Ability Classification System (MACS) for Children with Cerebral Palsy: Scale Development and Evidence of Validity and Reliability," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.48, No.7, pp.549-554, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0012162206001162
- A. C. Eliasson, L, Krumlinde-Sundholm, and B. Rosblad, "Using the MACS to Facilitate Comunication about Manual Abilities of Cbildren with Cerebral Palsy," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.49, No.2, pp.156-157, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0012162206002076
- C. Morris, J. Kurinczuk, R. Fitzpatrick, and P. Rosenbaum, "Reliability of the Manual Ability Classification System for Children with Cerebral Palsy," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.48, No.12, pp.950-953, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1017/S001216220600209X
- V. F. Plasschaert, M. Ketelaar, M. G. Nijnuis, L. Enkelaar, and J. W. Gorter, "Classification of Manual Abilities in Children with Cerebral Palsy under 5 Years of Age: How Reliable is the Manual Ability Classification System?", Clinical Rehabilitation, No.23, Vol.2, pp.164-170, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215508098892
- 성태제, 시기자, 연구방법론, 학지사, 2006.
- J. Sim and P. Arnell, "Measurement Validity in Physical Therapy Research," Physical Therapy, No.73, pp.102-110, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/73.2.102
- A. Harvey, J. Robin, and M. E. Morris, "A System Review of Measures of Activity Limitation for Children with Cerebral Palsy," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.50, pp.190-198, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2008.02027.x
- K. D. Carnahan, M. Arner, and G. Hagglund, "Association between Gross Motor Function (GMFCS) and Manual Ability (MACS) in Children with Cerebral Palsy: A Population-based Study of 359 Children," BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, Vol.50, No.8, pp.1-7, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-8-50
- 박은영, “경직형 뇌성마비 아동의손 기능 분류 체계와 기능적 수행도 평가 간의 상관”, 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제7호, pp.248-255, 2009.
- I. E. Asher, Occupational Therapy Assessment Tools, The American Occupational Therapy Association, 1996.
- L. G. Portney and M. P. Watkins, Foundations of Clinical Research: Applications to Practice, Appleton & Lange, 1993.
- M. E. Msall, B. T. Rogers, and H. Ripstein, "Measurements of Functional Outcomes in Children with Cerebral Palsy," Mental Retardation Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, Vol.8, pp.194-203, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2779(1997)3:2<194::AID-MRDD11>3.0.CO;2-Q
- D. J. Oeffinger, C. M. Tylkowski, M. K. Rayens, et al., "Gross Motor Function Classification System and Outcome Tools for Assessing Ambulatory Cerebral Palsy: A Multicenter Study," Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, Vol.46, No.5, pp.311-319, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2004.tb00491.x