- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Leader-member Exchange on Affective Commitment and Continuance Commitment: The Mediating Role of Job Stress
리더-부하간 교환관계(LMX)가 정서적 몰입과 근속적 몰입에 미치는 영향: 직무스트레스의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Published : 2010.01.28
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of leader-member exchange(LMX) on employee's affective commitment and continuance commitment focusing on the mediating role of job stress. On the basis of theoretical linkages between the constructs, a conceptual model and hypotheses were established. The sample included 482 employees. Structural equation modeling(SEM) was employed to test the hypothesized relationships in the conceptual model. This study shows that the proposed model is reasonably fit to the actual data. Empirical results indicate that LMX has a negative impact on employee's job stress, has a positive impact on employees' affective commitment and continuance commitment. Employees' job stress has partially mediated effect on the relationship between LMX and employees' affective commitment, but has not mediated effect on the relationship between LMX and employees' continuance commitment.
Leader-member Exchange;LMX;Job Stress;Affective Commitment;Continuance Commitment;Organizational Commitment
- B. M. Bass, "From transactional to transformational leadership: learning to share the vision," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.18, No.3, pp.19-32, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(90)90061-S
- S. Kozlowski and M. Doherty, "Integration of climate and leadership: examination of a neglected issue," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.74, pp.546-553, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.74.4.546
- A. S. Gill, A. B. Flaschner, and M. Shachar, "Mitigating stress and burnout by implementing transformational leadership," International Journal of contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol.18, No.6, pp.469-481, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110610681511
- A. P. Brief, R. S. Schuler, and M. V. Sell, Managing job stress, Boston, MA: Little, Brown and Company, 1981.
- H. Lingard, "The impact of individual and job characteristics on ‘burnout’ among civil engineers in Australia and the implications for employee turnover," Construction Management and Economics, Vol.21, pp.69-80, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144619032000065126
- C. C. Pinder, Work Motivation, Glenviwe, IL: Schtt, Foresman and Company, 1984.
- R. H. Rasch and A. Harrell, "The impact of individual differences on MAS personnel satisfaction and turnover intention," Journal of Information Systems, Fall, pp.13-22, 1989.
- D. D. White and D. A. Bednar, Organizational Behavior. Understanding and managing people at work (2nd ed.), Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon, 1991.
- S. Williams and L. Cooper, Managing Workplace stress, A best practice blueprint, West Sussex, England: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 2002.
- J. P. Meyer and N. J. Allen, "A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment," Human Resource Management Review, Vol.1, pp.61-89, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- S. Jaros, J. Jermier, J. Joehler, and T. Sincich, "Effects of continuous, affective, and moral commitment on the withdrawal process: An evaluation of eight structural model," Academy of Managemant Journal, Vol.36, pp.951-995, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/256642
- C. R. Gernster and D. V. Day, "Meta-analytic review of leader-member exchange theory: Correlates and construct issues," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.82, No.6, pp.827-844, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.6.827
- R. M. Dienesch and R. C. Liden, "Leader-member exchange model of leadership: A critique and further development," Academy of Management Review, Vol.11, pp.618-634, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2307/258314
- R. C. Liden and G. Graen, "Generalizability of the vertical dyad linkage model of leadership," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.23, No.3, pp.451-465, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/255511
- T. A. Scandura and G. B. Graen, "Moderating effects of initial leader-member exchange status on the effects of leadership intervention," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.69, pp.428-436, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.3.428
- T. A. Bauer and S. Green, "Development of leader-member exchange: A longitudinal test," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.39, No.6, pp.1538-1567, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/257068
- R. C. Liden, S. J. Wayne, and D. Stilwell, "A longitudinal study on the early development of leader-member exchanges," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.78, pp.662-674, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.4.662
- R. J. Deluga, "Leader-member exchange quality and effectiveness ratings," Group and Organization Management, Vol.23, No.2, pp.189-216, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601198232006
- G. B. Graen, Role-making processes within complex organizations, In M.D. Dunnette (Ed.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Chicago, IL: Rand McNally, pp.1201-1245, 1976.
- G. B. Graen and M. Uhi-Bien, "Relationship-based approach to leadership: development of leader-member exchange(LMX) theory of leadership over 25 years: applying a multi-level multi-domain perspective," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.6, No.2, pp.219-247, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(95)90036-5
- C. A. Schriesheim, S. L. Castro, and C. C. Cogliser, "Leader-member exchange (LMX) research: A comprehensive review of theory, measurement, and dataanalytic practices," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.10, No.1, pp.63-113, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(99)80009-5
- C. H. Thomas and M. J. Lankau, "Preventing burnout: The effects of LMX and mentoring on socialization, role stress, and burnout," Human Resource Management, Vol.48, No.3, pp.417-432, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20288
- K. J. Harris and K. M. Kacmar, "Too much of a good thing? The curvilinear effect of leader-member exchange on stress," Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.146, pp.65-84, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.146.1.65-84
- J. L. Jensen, J. C. Olberding, and R. Rodgers, "The quality of leader-member exchange(LMX) and member performance: A meta-analytic review," Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Academy of Management, Boston, MA, 1997.
- B. Erdogan and R. C. Liden, Social exchanges in the workplace: A review of recent developments and future research directions in leader-member exchange theory, In L. L. Neider and C. A. Schriesheim (Eds), Leadership. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Press, pp.65-114, 2002.
- S. Cartwright and C. L. Cooper, Managing workplace stress, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publication, 1997.
- D. C. Ganster and J. Schaubroeck, "Work stress and employee health," Journal of Management. Vol.17, No.2, pp.235-271, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700202
- P. C. Nystrom, "Vertical exchanges and organizational commitments of American business managers," Group and Organizational Studies, Vol.15, pp.296-312, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960119001500305
- J. P. Meyer and N. J. Allen, Commitment in the workplace: Theory, research, and application, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1997.
- J. J. Sosik, B. J. Avolio, and D. I. Jung, "Beneath the mask: Examining the relationship of self-presentation attributes and impression management to charismatic leadership," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.13, pp.217−242, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00102-9
- N. J. Allen and J. P. Meyer, "The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization," Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol.63, pp.1-18, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham, Multivariate Data Analysis(6th ed.), New Jersey : Prentice Hall, 2006.
- R. L. Brown, "Assessing specific mediational effects in complex theoretical models," Structural Equation Modeling,4, pp.142-156, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519709540067
- Mediation Effect of LMX Quality on the Relationship between Job Stress and Job Satisfaction vol.10, pp.11, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.424
- Factors Affecting Subjective Well-Being of Office Worker vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.01.400
- Study on the Relationship between Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction in Food & Beverage Department of Deluxe Hotel vol.31, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2016.31.2.141