- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design of Variable Gain Low Noise Amplifier with Memory Effects Feedback for 5.2 GHz Band
5.2 GHz 대역에서 동작하는 기억 기능 특성을 갖는 궤환 회로를 이용한 변환 이득 저잡음 증폭기 설계
- Lee, Won-Tae (Department of Computer and Radio Communication Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Jeong, Ji-Chai (Department of Computer and Radio Communication Engineering, Korea University)
- Published : 2010.01.31
This paper presents a novel gain control system composed of a feedback circuit, Two stage Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) using 0.18 um CMOS technology for 5.2 GHz. The feedback circuit consists of the seven function blocks: peak detector, comparator, ADC, IVE(Initial Voltage Elimination) circuit, switch, storage, and current controller. We focus on detecting signal and designing storage circuit that store the previous state. The power consumption of the feedback circuit in the system can be reduced without sacrificing the gain by inserting the storage circuit. The adaptive front-end system with the feedback circuit exhibits 11.39~22.74 dB gain, and has excellent noise performance at high gain mode. Variable gain LNA consumes 5.68~6.75 mW from a 1.8 V supply voltage.
- C. Cha, S. Lee, "A 5.2-GHz LNA in 0.35 um CMOS utilizing inter-stage series resonance and optimizing the substrate resistance", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 38, pp. 669-672, Apr. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2003.809523
- A. Vallese, A. Neviani, "Analysis and design of an integrated notch filter for the rejection of interence in UWB system", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 44, pp. 331-343, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2008.2010984
- K. Han, K. Lee, "Complete high-frequency thermal noise modeling of short-channel MOSFETs and design of 5.2 GHz low noise amplifier", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, pp. 726-735, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2005.843637
- A. Bevilacqua, A. M. Niknejad, "An ultra-wideband CMOS LNA for 3.1 to 10.6 GHz wireless reciver", ISSCC, session 21, pp. 382-533, Dec. 2004.
- H. O. Elwan, M. lsmail, "Digitally programmable decibel-linear CMOS VGA for low-power mixed signal applications", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 388-398, May 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/82.842107
- F. Piazza, P. Tsivis, "A 2 mA/3 V 71 MHz IF amplifier in 0.4 um CMOS programmable over range", ISSCC, session 5, pp. 78-79, Feb. 2009.
- W. Song, C. Cho, "High frequency/high dynamic range CMOS VGA", Electrical Letters, vol. 35, pp. 1096-1098, Jun. 2000.
- R. Barker, CMOS Circuit Design Layout Simulation, IEEE Pressseries on Microelectronic System 2nd Edition, pp. 985-995, May 2005.
- T. Kien, S. G. Lee, "CMOS low noise amplifier design optimization technique", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1433-1442, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2004.827014
- J. Hu, L. Ragan, "A fully integrated variable gain 5.75 GHz LNA with on chip active balun for WLAN", IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 388-398, Aug. 2008.
- D. K. Shaeffer, T. H. Lee, "A 1.5 V, 1.5 GHz CMOS low noise amplifier", IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 32, pp. 745-759, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/4.568846