- Volume 5 Issue 2
This paper describes a new stochastic heuristic algorithm in engineering problem optimization especially in power system applications. An improved particle swarm optimization (PSO) called adaptive particle swarm optimization (APSO), mixed with simulated annealing (SA), is introduced and referred to as APSO-SA. This algorithm uses a novel PSO algorithm (APSO) to increase the convergence rate and incorporate the ability of SA to avoid being trapped in a local optimum. The APSO-SA algorithm efficiency is verified using some benchmark functions. This paper presents the application of APSO-SA to find the optimal location, type and size of flexible AC transmission system devices. Two types of FACTS devices, the thyristor controlled series capacitor (TCSC) and the static VAR compensator (SVC), are considered. The main objectives of the presented method are increasing the voltage stability index and over load factor, decreasing the cost of investment and total real power losses in the power system. In this regard, two cases are considered: single-type devices (same type of FACTS devices) and multi-type devices (combination of TCSC, SVC). Using the proposed method, the locations, type and sizes of FACTS devices are obtained to reach the optimal objective function. The APSO-SA is used to solve the above non.linear programming optimization problem for better accuracy and fast convergence and its results are compared with results of conventional PSO. The presented method expands the search space, improves performance and accelerates to the speed convergence, in comparison with the conventional PSO algorithm. The optimization results are compared with the standard PSO method. This comparison confirms the efficiency and validity of the proposed method. The proposed approach is examined and tested on IEEE 14 bus systems by MATLAB software. Numerical results demonstrate that the APSO-SA is fast and has a much lower computational cost.
FACTS devices;optimal location;PSO algorithm;SA algorithm;APSO-SA algorithm
- N. G. Hingorani and L. Gyugyi, "Understanding FACTS Concepts and Technology of Flexible AC Transmission System," IEEE Press, ISBN0-7803-3455-8, 2000.
- A. A. Edris, R. Aapa, M. H. Baker, L. Bohman and K. Clark, "Proposed terms and definitions for flexible ac transmission systems (FACTS)," IEEE Transaction on power delivery, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 1848-1853, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.634216
- P. Kundur, "Power system stability and control, EPRI Power System Engineering Series," McGraw-Hill, New York, 1994.
- P. R. Sharma, Ashok Kumar and Narender Kumar, "Optimal Location for Shunt Connected FACTS Devices in a Series Compensated Long Transmission Line," Turk J Elec Engin, Vol. 15, No.3, 2007.
- D. J. Gotham and G. T. Heydt, "Power flow control and power flow studies for system with FACTS devices," IEEE Transaction on Power System, Vol. 13, No.1, 1998.
- G. H. Hingorani, "Flexible AC transmission system," IEEE Spectrum, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/6.206621
- S. Gerbex, R. Cherkaoui and A. J. Germond, "Optimal location of multi-type FACTS devices in a power system by means of genetic algorithm," IEEE Transaction on power system, Vol. 16, August 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.932292
- L. J. Cai and I. Erlich, "Optimal choice and allocation of FACTS devices using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transaction on Power system, 2002.
- J. Baskaran, V. Palanisamy, "Optimal location of FACTS device in a power system network considering power loss using genetic algorithm," EE-Pub on line journal, March 2005, www.ee-pub.com.
- K. S. Verma, S. N. Singh and H. O. Gupda, "Location of unified power flow controller for congestion management," Electric power system research, Vol. 58, pp. 89-96, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(01)00123-7
- H. C. Leung and T. S. Chung, "Optimal power flow with a versatile FACTS controller by Genetic algorithm approach," Proceeding of the 5th international conference on advances in power system control, operation and management, APSCOM, pp. 178-183, October 2000.
- D. Chetterjee, A. Ghosh, "TCSC control design for transient stability improvement of a multi machine power system using trajectory, sensitivity," ELSEVIER, pp. 470-483, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.04.011
- Y. Xiz.Y. H.song and Y. Z.Sum, "Power Flow Control Approach to Power Systems With Embedded FACTS Devices," IEEE Transaction on Power system, Vol. 17, No.4, 2002.
- Sopl, Yut, "Coordination of TCSC and SVC for inter area stability enhancement," IEEE Transaction on power delivery, 2000.
- J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proceedings of the IEEE International conference on Neural Network, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
- S. Kirkpatrick,, C. D. Gelatt and Vecchi, "Optimization by Simulated Annealing," In Science 220, pp. 671-680, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.220.4598.671
- N. Metropolis, A, Rosenbluth, M., Rosenbluth, A., Teller and E. Teller, Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 21, pp. 1087-1092, 1956. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1699114
- P. Angleine, "Using Selection to Improve Particle Swarm Optimization," In Optimization Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Piscataway, IEEE service center, New Jersey, USA, pp. 84-89, 1998.
- F. Van den Bergh and A. P. Engelbrecht, "A New Locally Convergent Particle Swarm Optimization," In Proceedings of the IEEE conference on Systems, Man, and Cyberntics, Hammamet, Tunisia, 2002.
- J. Riget and J. Vesterstrom, "A Diversity-Guided Particle Swarm Optimizer-The ARPSO," EVALife Technical Report, No. 2002-2, 2002.
- J. Kennedi and R. Eberhart, "A Discrete Binary Version of the Particle Swarm Algorithm," In proceedings of the conference on systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 4104-4109, 1997.
- Ling-LiaLi, Ling Wang and Li-hengliu, "An effective hybrid PSOSA strategy for optimization and its application to parameter estimation," Applied Mathematics and Computation, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amc.2005.11.086|
- L. J. Cai and I. Erlich, "Optimal choice and allocation of FACTS devices in deregulated electricity market using genetic algorithms," IEEE conference (0-7803-8718-x/04), 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/PSCE.2004.1397562
- J. Baskaram and V. Palanisamy, "Optimal location of FACTS devices in a power system solved by a hybrid approach," Elsevier nonlinear analysis, 65 (2094-2102), 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.na.2005.11.052
- M. Saravanam, S. Mary and Raja Slochanal, "Application of particle swarm optimization technique for optimal location of FACTS devices considering cost of installation and system loadability," ELSEVIER Electric power systems, Vol.77, pp. 276-283, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.03.006
- Power System Test Case Archive, "IEEE 14 Bus Power Flow Test Cases", University of Washington.
- A Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm With Novel Expected Fitness Evaluation for Robust Optimization Problems vol.48, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.2.179
- Robust optimization approach to production system with failure in rework and breakdown under uncertainty: evolutionary methods vol.35, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.2.179
- A Low-Carbon Dispatch Model in a Wind Power Integrated System Considering Wind Speed Forecasting and Energy-Environmental Efficiency vol.5, pp.12, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.2.179