- Volume 5 Issue 2
In this paper, an extremely low voltage operated micro corner cube retroreflector (CCR) was fabricated for free-space optical communication applications by using bulk silicon micromachining technologies. The CCR was comprised of an orthogonal vertical mirror and a horizontal actuated mirror. For low voltage operation, the horizontal actuated mirror was designed with two PZT cantilever actuators, torsional bars, hinges, and a mirror plate with a size of
MEMS;Orthogonal mirror;Corner cube retroreflector (CCR);Vertical silicon mirror;Piezoelectric actuation;Cantilever;Optical communication
- D. Steere, A. Baptista, D. McNamee, C. Pu and J. Walpole, "Research challenges in environmental observation and forecasting systems," in Proc. ACM/IEEE MOBICOM, pp. 292-299, Aug. 2000.
- L. Schwiebert, S. K. S. Gupta and J. Weinmann, "Research challenges in wireless networks of biomedical sensors," in Proc. ACM/IEEE MOBICOM, pp. 151-165, 2001.
- S. D. Feller, E. Cull, D. P. Kowalski, K. Farlow, J. Burchett, J. Adleman, C. Lin and D. J. Brady, "Tracking and imaging humans on heterogeneous infrared sensor array for tactical applications," SPIE Aerosense, Apr. 2002.
- J. Kahn, R. H. Katz and K. Pister, "Emerging Challenges: Mobile Networking for 'Smart Dust'," J. Communications and Networks, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 188-196, Sep., 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/JCN.2000.6596708
- S. Teramoto and T. Ohtsuki, "Optical Wireless Sensor Network System Using Corner Cube Retroreflectors," J. Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 1, pp. 39-44, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCNC.2005.1424473
- D. J. Vasquez and Jack W. Judy, "Optically-Interrogated Zero-Power MEMS Magnetometer," J. Microelecmech. Syst., Vol. 16, No.2, Apr. 2007.
- L. Zhou, J. M. Kahn and K. S. J. Pister, "Corner-cube retroreflectors based on structure-assisted assembly for free-space optical communication," J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 233-242, June 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/JMEMS.2003.809956
- Y. K. Hong and R. R. A. Syms, "Dynamic Response Modeling of MEMS Micromirror Corner Cube Reflectors With Angular Vertical Combdrives," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 25, pp. 472-480, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/JLT.2006.889137
- R. Agarwal, S. Samson, S. Kedia and S. Bhansali, "Fabrication of Integrated Vertical Mirror Surfaces and Transparent Window for Packaging MEMS Devices," J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol. 16, No. 1, Feb. 2007.
- C. Marxer, C. Thio, M. Gretillat, N. F. de Rooji, R. Battig, R. Anthamatten, B. Valk and P. Vogel, "Vertical mirrors fabricated by deep reactive ion etching for fiber-optic switching applications," J. Microelectromech. Syst., Vol. 6, No. 7, pp. 277-285, July 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/84.623118
- Optics-based wireless sensor node localization using MEMS CCR vol.13, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-014-9221-5
- Development and characterization of piezoelectrically actuated corner cube retroreflectors for applications in free-space optical sensor network vol.51, pp.13, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.51.002315
- Surface-Micromachined MEMS Tunable Three-Leaf Trefoil-Type Corner Cube Retro-Reflector for Free-Space Optical Applications vol.21, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTQE.2014.2381462
- Bulk Micromachined Vibration Driven Electromagnetic Energy Harvesters for Self-sustainable Wireless Sensor Node Applications vol.8, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.6.1320