- Volume 59 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Electron Emission Properties of Hetero-Junction Structured Carbon Nanotube Microtips Coated With BN And CN Thin Films
탄소 나노튜브 위에 붕소 및 탄소 질화 박막이 코팅된 이종접합 구조 미세팁의 전자방출 특성
- Received : 2010.01.21
- Accepted : 2010.03.08
- Published : 2010.04.01
Boron nitride (BN) and carbon nitride (CN) films, which have relatively low work functions and commonly exhibit negative electron affinity behaviors, were coated on carbon nanotubes (CNTs) by magnetron sputtering. The CNTs were directly grown on metal-tip (tungsten, approximately 500nm in diameter at the summit part) substrates by inductively coupled plasma-chemical vapor deposition (ICP-CVD). The variations in the morphology and microstructure of CNTs due to coating of the BN and CN films were analyzed by field-emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM). The energy dispersive x-ray (EDX) spectroscopy and Raman spectroscopy were used to identify the existence of the coated layers (CN and BN) on CNTs. The electron-emission properties of the BN-coated and CN-coated CNT-emitters were characterized using a high-vacuum field emission measurement system, in terms of their maximum emission currents (
Carbon Nanotubes;Microtip X-Ray Electron Source;Amorphous Boron Nitride;Amorphous Carbon Nitride;Field Emission;Long-Term Stability
Supported by : 한국학술진흥재단
- H. Y. Jung, S. M. Jung, and J. S. Suh, "Horizontally aligned single-walled carbon nanotube field emitters fabricated on vertically aligned multi-walled carbon nanotube electrode arrays", Carbon, Vol 46, pp. 1345-1349, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2008.05.020
- J. P. Kim, Y. K. Kim, C. K. Park, H. Y. Choi, C. H. Shon, J. U. Kim, and J. S. Park, "Long-term stability of various carbon-nanotube-based micro-tip emitters", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 18, pp. 486-489, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2008.10.019
- N. Soin, S. S. Roy, L. Karlsson, and J. A. McLaughlion, "Sputter deposition of highly dispersed platinum nanoparticles on carbon nanotube arrays for fuel cell electrode material", Diamond Relat. Mater., Article in press, 2010.
- J. P. Kim, Y. K. Kim, C. K. Park, H. Y. Choi, J. U. Kim, and J. S. Park, "Direct growth of carbon nanotubes on a micro-sized cobalt tip and characterization of electron-emission properties", Thin Solid Films, Vol. 517, pp. 1136-1140, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2008.08.174
- J. P. Sun, Z. X. Zhang, S. M. Hou, G. M. Zhang, Z. N. Gu, X. Y. Zhao, W. M. Liu, and Z. Q. Xue, "Work function of single-walled carbon nanotubes determined by field emission microscopy", Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 75, pp. 479-483, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s003390201403
- Y. S. Lee, J. H. Ryu, H. E. Lim, J. W. Lim, B. T. Son, J. U. Kim, J. Jang, and K. C. Park, "X-ray image resolution of carbon nanotube emitters grown with resist-assisted patterning process", Vacuum, Vol. 84, pp. 523-525, 2010.
- C. Liu, K. S. Kim, J. Baek, Y. Cho, S. Han, S. W. Kim, N. K. Min, Y. Choi, J. U. Kim, and C. J. Lee, "Improved field emission properties of double-walled carbon nanotubes decorated with Ru nanoparticles", Carbon, Vol. 47, pp. 1158-1164, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2008.12.054
- W. T. Zheng, J. J. Li, X. Wang, X. T. Li, Z. S. Jin, B. K. Tay, and C. Q. Sun, "Electron emission of carbon nitride films and mechanism for the nitrogen-lowered threshold in cold cathode", J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 94, pp. 2741-2745, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1594822
- 박창균, 김종필, 윤성준, 박진석, "ICP-CVD 방법으로 성장된 탄소 나노튜브의 구조적 특성 및 전계방출 특성: 기판전압 인가 효과", 전기학회논문지, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 132-138, 2007.
- J. Li, H. Mimura, Y. Neo, C. Gu, H. Li, and S. Chen, "Effect of the addition of argon to reactive nitrogen gas on field emission properties of amorphous carbon nitride films", J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, Vol. 24, pp. 2570-2574, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1116/1.2360980
- Y. Kubota, K. Watanabe, O. Tsuda, and T. Taniguchi, "Deep ultraviolet light-emitting hexagonal boron nitride synthesized at atmospheric pressure", Science, Vol. 317, pp. 932-934, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1144216
- Z. Liu, G. Yang, Y. Z. Lee, D. Bordelon, J. Lu, and O. Zhou, "Carbon nanotube based microfocus field emission x-ray source for microcomputed tomography", Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, pp. 103111, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2345829