- Volume 59 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Development of a Hearing Impairment Simulator considering Frequency Selectivity and Asymmetrical Auditory Filter of the Hearing Impaired
난청인의 주파수 선택도와 비대칭적 청각 필터를 고려한 난청 시뮬레이터 개발에 관한 연구
- Received : 2010.01.30
- Accepted : 2010.02.25
- Published : 2010.04.01
In this paper, we propose a hearing impairment simulator considering reduced frequency selectivity and asymmetrical auditory filter of the hearing impaired, and we verified the reduced frequency selectivity and asymmetrical auditory filter affected in speech perception through experiments. The reduced frequency selectivity has made embodied by spectral smearing using LPC(linear prediction coding). The shapes of auditory filter are asymmetrical different with each center frequency. Hearing impaired person which has hearing loss was differently changed with that of normal hearing people and it has different value for speech of quality through auditory filter. The experiments confirmed subjective test and objective test. The subjective experiments are composed of 4 kinds of tests: pure tone test, SRT(speech reception threshold) test, and WRS(word recognition score) test without spectral smearing, and WRS test with spectral smearing. The experiment of the hearing impairment simulator was performed from 9 subjects who have normal ears. The amount of spectral smearing was controlled by LPC order. The asymmetrical auditory filter of proposed hearing impairment simulator was simulated and then some tests to estimate the filter's performance objectively were performed. The objective experiment as simulated auditory filter's performance evaluation method used PESQ(perceptual evaluation of speech quality) and LLR(log likelihood ratio) for speech through auditory filter. The processed speech was evaluated objective speech quality and distortion using PESQ and LLR value. When hearing loss processed, PESQ and LLR value have big difference according to asymmetrical auditory filter in hearing impairment simulator.
Hearing impairment simulator;Frequency selectivity;Asymmetrical auditory filter;LPC
Supported by : 한국연구재단(한국과학재단)
- 이성태, "소리의 원리와 응용," 청문각, ISBN 89-7088-379-7, pp.79-80, Jan. 2004,
- Brian C. J. Moore, "An Introduction to the Psychology of Hearing," 5th ed., Academic press, pp.152-153, 2003.
- Moore, B. C. J., Glasberg B, R. "Suggested formulae for calculating auditory filter Bandwidth and excitation patterns," J.Acoust.Soc. Am. 74, pp.750-753, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.389861
- 강성훈, "디지털 오디오와 심리음향," 대한전자공학회지, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 518-528, June. 1995.
- Thomas Baer and B. C. J. Moore, "Effects of spectral smearing on the intelligibility of sentences in noise," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 94(3), pp. 1229-1241, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.408176
- A. M. Kondoz, "Digital Speech, coding for low bit rate communication system Second Edition," John Wiley & Sons Ltd, West Sussex, ISBN 0-470-87007-9(HB), 2004.
- ITU-T, "Perceptual Evaluation of Speech Quality (PESQ), an Objective Method for End-to-end Speech Quality Assessment of Narrowband Telephone Networks and Speech Codecs", ITU-T Rec. P.862 Feb. 2001,
- Quackenbush, S.R., Barnwell, T.P., Clements, M.A., "Objective Measures of Speech Quality," Prentice-Hall, NJ, pp.47-51, 1988.
- Moore, B. C. J., Skrodzka, E., "Detection of frequency modulation by hearing-impaired listeners: Effects of carrier frequency, modulation rate, and added amplitude modulation," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 111, pp. 327–335, 2002.
- S. I. Joo, S. K. Kil, M. S. Goh, S. M. Lee, "Development of a Hearing Impairment Simulator considering Frequency Selectivity of the Hearing Impaired." Journal of Biomedical Engineering Research, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp.94-102, Feb. 2009
- Quackenbush, S.R., Barnwell, T.P., Clements,M.A., Objective Measures of Speech Quality, Prentice-Hall, NJ, pp.47-51, 1988.
- Moore, B. C. J., Glasberg B, R. "Comparisons of frequency selectivity in simultaneous and forward masking for subjects with unilateral cochlear impairments," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 80, pp. 93-107, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.394087
- Moore, Brian, and Glasberg, Brian, "Simulation of the effects of loudness recruitment and threshold elevation on the intelligibility of speech in quiet and in background of speech," J. Acoust. Soc. Am, 94(4), pp. 2050-2062, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.407478