- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Control Algorithm for Stable Galloping of Quadruped Robots on Irregular Surfaces
비평탄면에서의 4 족 로봇의 갤로핑 알고리즘
- Shin, Chang-Rok (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jang-Seob (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Park, Jong-Hyeon (School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2009.01.09
- Accepted : 2010.04.12
- Published : 2010.06.01
This paper proposes a control algorithm for quadruped robots moving on irregularly sloped uneven surfaces. Since the body balance of a quadruped robot is controlled by the forces acting on its feet during touchdown, the ground reaction force (GRF) is controlled for stable running. The desired GRF for each foot is generated on the basis of the desired galloping pattern; this GRF is then compared with the actual contact force. The difference between the two forces is used to modify the foot trajectory. The desired force is realized by considering a combination of the rate change of the angular and linear momenta at flight. Then, the amplitude of the GRF to be applied at each foot in order to achieve the desired linear and angular momenta is determined by fuzzy logic. Dynamic simulations of galloping motion were performed using RecurDyn; these simulations show that the proposed control method can be used to achieve stable galloping for a quadruped robot on irregularly sloped uneven surfaces.
Force Control;Galloping;Ground Reaction Force;Linear and Angular Momenta;Quadruped Robot
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- Hodgins, J. K. and Raibert, M. H., 1991, “Adjusting Step Length for Rough Terrain Locomotion,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 7, No.3.
- Raibert, M. H., 1986, Legged Robots That Balance, MIT press, Cambridge.
- Marhefka, D. W., 2000, “Fuzzy Control and Dynamic Simulation of Quadruped Galloping Machine,” Ph.D. thesis, The Ohio State University.
- Nichol, J. G., 2005, “Design for Energy Loss and Energy Control In A Galloping Artificial Quadruped,” Ph.D. thesis, The Stanford University.
- Palmer, L. R. III, 2007, “Intelligent Control and Force Redistribution for a High-Speed Quadruped Trot,” ph.D. thesis, The Ohio State University.
- Kawamura, A., Sugio, K., Suzuki, K. and Zhu, C., 2004, “Simulation Study on One Leg Jumping for Biped Running”, The 8th IEEE International Workshop on Advanced Motion Control, pp. 71- 74.
- Spong, M. W., Hutchinson, S. and Vidyasager, M., 2006, “ Robot Modeling and Control,” John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Alexander, R. M., 1990, “Three Uses for Spring in Legged Locomotion,” The international journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 53-61. https://doi.org/10.1177/027836499000900205
- Seipel, J. E. and Holmes, P., 2005, “Running in Three Dimensions: Analysis of a Point-mass Sprungleg Model,” The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 24, No. 8, pp. 657-674. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364905056194
- Shin, C. -R., Chae, K. G. and Park, J. H., 2008, “Development of Quadruped Robot and Dynamic Walking,” proceedings of the KSME 2008 Spring Annual Meeting, pp. 220-225.