- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Use of Guided Waves for Monitoring Material Conditions in Fossil-Fuel Power Plants
판파를 이용한 화력 발전 설비의 물성 평가
- Cho, Youn-Ho (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jung, Kyung-Sik (Lotte Engineering &Construction, CS team) ;
- Lee, Jae-Sun (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2009.08.17
- Accepted : 2010.04.21
- Published : 2010.06.01
Material properties of the lock plate, which covers the gas-turbine blade, are studied using ultrasonic guided waves. The lock plate is a crucial part of a gas-turbine power plant. The wave velocity and attenuation coefficient are measured to investigate the changes in the material properties under three heat-treatment conditions. Compared to the destructive mechanical tests, the material characterization of Inconel X-750 can be performed more efficiently and nondestructively by using ultrasonic guided waves; this characterization helps identify the changes occurring in its elastic moduli and Poisson's ratio under different heat-treatment conditions. The wave velocity and hardness of Inconel X-750 are proportional to each other. This nondestructive technique for the measurement of material properties can be widely used in various industries to avoid catastrophic failure. It is also expected that the guided-wave technique can be applied as a new cost- and time-saving inspection tool for longer and wider inspection ranges.
Guided Wave;Inconel X-750;Dispersion Curve;Material Property;Attenuation Ratio
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Jung, H., 1991, “A Study in Measurement of Thermal Aging In High Temperature Facility," Journal of the KSME, Vol.37, No.11, pp.251-260.
- Hur, S. K., Hong, K. T. and Do, J. M., 1988, “The Measurement of Degradation in Creep-Ruptured Cr-Mo-V Steels by NDE Methods," Proc. of the 2nd Conference on Mechanical Behaviors of Materials, Seoul, Korea, pp.17-24.
- Yamashita, M., Viswanathan, U. K., Yamamoto, I. and Kobayashi, T., 1997, “Service-induced Changes in the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a Cr-Mo-Ni-V Turbine Steel," ISIJ International, Vol.37, No. 11, pp.1133-1138. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.37.1133
- Viswanathan, R. and Bruemmer, S. M., 1985, “In-Service Degradation of Toughness of Steam Turbine Rotors," Transactions of the ASME, Vol.107, pp.316-324.
- Rose, J. L., Rajana, K. M. and Carr, F. T., 1994, "Ultrasonic Guided Wave Inspection Concepts for Steam Generator Tubing," Material Evaluation, Vol.52, pp.307-311.
- Cho, Y., 1995, "Defect Detection and Characterization Potential with Guided Waves," Ph. D. Dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Cho, Y. and Rose, J. L., 1996, "Guided Waves in a Water Loaded Hollow Cylinder," Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol.12, pp.323-339. https://doi.org/10.1080/10589759608952856
- Lee, J., Cho, Y. and Jeong, K., 2009, "Material Characterization of Lock Plate Using Guided Wave," Journal of KSME, A, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp.373-379. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.4.373
- Rose, J. L., 1999, Ultrasonic Waves in Solid Media, Cambridge.
- Younho Cho, 2001, "Understanding and Application of Ultrasocin Guided Waves," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.446-463.
- A Study on Scattered Wave Amplitude Closed-Form Solution Calculation of Torsional Wave Mode by Reciprocity Theorem vol.40, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.7.647