- Volume 34 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study of Bifurcation Behavior of Rubber in Accordance with the Constitutive Equations
구성방정식에 따른 고무 분기점 거동 비교 연구
- Received : 2010.01.04
- Accepted : 2010.04.22
- Published : 2010.06.01
Modeling of rubber for design or analysis often requires confusing or complex work because there are a large number of constitutive models to be considered. Some models have few material constants, while others have many. Researchers have to prepare and fit extensive experimental data with caution and discretion. In this paper, we first compared some typical rubber models in which deformation was carried out by stretching up to around eight times the original size. We conclude that continuum-based models and chain molecular models can be used in the study of the small deformation in most engineering applications, but chain molecular models are preferred in the study of the large deformations in most biomaterial applications. As discrimination problems, Treloar's patch and cylindrical balloon stick are tested theoretically and numerically for studying bifurcation. In the case of Treloar's patch, by using the Kearsley's equation, we show that bifurcation exists for continuum-based models but not for chain molecular models. Both models show bifurcation in the cylindrical balloon stick. Therefore, in the analysis of the bifurcation of rubber showed that its existence also depends on the constitutive model selected.
Rubber;Constitutive Equation;Continuum-Based Model;Chain Molecular Model;Bifurcation;Treloar Patch;Cylindrical Balloon Stick
- Treloar, L. R. G., 1975, The Physics of Rubber Elasticity, Oxford University Press.
- Xu, H., Cheng, Z. -Y., Olsen, D., Mai, T., Zang, Q. M. and Kavarnos, G., 2001, “Ferroelectric and Electromechanical Properties of Poly (Vinylidene - Fluoride - Trifluoroethylene - Chlorotrifluoroethylene) Terpolymer,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, pp. 2360-2362. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1358847
- Pelrine, R. E., Kornblush, R. D. and Joseph, J. P., 1998, “Electrostriction of Polymer Dielectrics with Compliant Electrodes as a Means of Actuation,” Sensors and Actuators, A64, pp. 77-85.
- Von Meyer, K. H., von Susich, G. and Valko, E., 1932, “Die Elastischen Eigenschaften der Organischen Hochpolymeren und Ihre Kinetische Deutung,” Kolloid Zeitschrift (Colloid & Polymer Science), 59, pp. 208-216.
- Boyce, M. C. and Arruda, E. M., 2000, “Constitutive Models of Rubber Elasticity: A Review,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 73, pp. 504-523. https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3547602
- Haughton, D. M., 1980, “Post-Bifurcation of Perfect and Imperfect Spherical Elastic Membranes,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 16, pp. 1123-1133. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(80)90067-0
- Destrade, M., Annaidh, A. N. and Coman, C. D., 2009, “Bending Instabilities of Soft Biological Tissues,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 46, pp. 4322-4330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.08.017
- Gent, A. N., 2005, “Elastic Instabilities in Rubber,” International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 40, pp. 156-175.
- Goriely, A., Destrade, M., Ben Amar, M. 2006, “Instabilities in Elastomers and in Soft Tissues,” The Quarterly Journal of Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, 59, pp. 615-630. https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmam/hbl017
- Ogden, R. W., 1972, “Large Deformation Isotropic Elasticity - on the Correlation of Theory and Experiment for Incompressible Rubberlike Solids,” Proceedings of Royal Society of London, A326, pp. 565-584.
- Arruda, E. M. and Boyce, M. C., 1993, “A Three-Dimensional Constitutive Model for the Large Stretch Behavior of Rubber Elastic Materials,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 41, pp. 389-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(93)90013-6
- Gent, A. N., 1996, “A New Constitutive Relation for Rubber,” Rubber Chemistry Technology, 69, pp. 59-61. https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3538357
- Boyce, M. C., 1996, “Direct Comparison of the Gent and the Arrudaboyce Constitutive Models of Rubber Elasticity,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 69, pp. 781-785. https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3538401
- Horgan, C. O. and Giuseppe Saccomandi, 2002, “A Molecular-Statistical Basis for the Gent Constitutive Model of Rubber Elasticity,” Journal of Elasticity, 68, pp. 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026029111723
- Fung, Y.C., 1993, Biomechanics: Mechanical Properties of Living Tissue, 2nd edn, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Ogden, R. W., 1984, Non-Linear Elastic Deformations, Ellis Horwood Ltd.
- Wan-doo Kim, Wan-soo Kim, Dong-jin Kim, Chang-soo Woo, Hak-joo Lee, 2004, “Mechanical Testing and Nonlinear Material Properties for Finite Element Analysis of Rubber Components,” Trans. of the KSME (B), 28, pp. 848-859. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.6.848
- Abaqus, General purpose FEA package, Abaqus Inc.
- Muller, I. and Strehlow, P., 2004, Rubber and Rubber Balloons: Paradigms of Thermodynamics, Springer.
- Kearsley, E. A., 1985, “Asymmetric Stretching of a Symmetrically Loaded Elastic Sheet,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 22, pp. 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(86)90001-6
- Batra, R. C., Muller, I. and Strehlow, P., 2005, “Treloar's Biaxial Tests and Kearsley'S Bifurcation in Rubber Sheets,” Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, 10, pp. 705-713. https://doi.org/10.1177/1081286505043032
- Haughton D. M. and Ogden, R. W., 1979, “Bifurcation of Inflated Circular Cylinders of Elastic Material Under Axial Loading - I. Membrane Theory for Thin-Walled Tubes,” Journal of Mechanics Physics of Solids, 27, pp. 179-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(79)90001-2
Supported by : 한남대학교