- Volume 36 Issue 6
Researchers who work in science and engineering R&D laboratories are commonly exposed to a wide range of chemical, biological and physical hazards. They also may adopt ergonomically poor postures for long periods of time. These factors may increase the risk of adverse health outcomes in laboratory workers. Recently, there were several fatal accidents in the laboratories in universities and research institutes in Korea. Consequently, the 'Laboratory Safety Act' was enacted in 2006. However, there are concerns about the health risk associated with chronic exposures to hazards, as the management measures provided in this Act are very limited, focusing primarily on accident prevention and compensation for lab work-related accidents. In this article, the methods for assessing exposure to chemicals in laboratory environments are discussed. Also, epidemiological studies examining the association between laboratory exposure and health effects, including cancer and reproductive toxicity are extensively reviewed. Finally, the possible roles of environmental health professionals in this area are suggested, along with a list of critical research needs for properly assessing laboratory workers' exposure and risk.
laboratory worker;exposure assessment;health effects;research needs
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Korea. 2008 Research and Development Activities Survey, 2008.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Korea. Pilot Study for Building a Laboratory Safety and Health Center, 2009.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 29 CFR 1910.1450 'Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories', 1990.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Korea. Laboratory Safety Act, 2009.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Korea. 2006 Surveillance on Laboratory Safety and Health Status of Universities and R&D Institutes, 2006.
- Sharam, J., Gurvich, R. and Kneshet, Y. : Cancer incidence among laboratory workers in biomedical research and routine laboratories in Israel: Part I - The cohort study. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 44, 600-610, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.10311
- Rachet, B., Partanen, T., Kauppinen, T. and Sasco, A. J. : Cancer risk in laboratory workers: An emphasis on biological research. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 38, 651-665, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0274(200012)38:6<651::AID-AJIM6>3.0.CO;2-J
- Vecchio, D., Sasco, A. J. and Cann, C. I. : Occupational risk in health care and research. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 43, 369-397, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.10191
- Apostoli, P., Lucchini, R. and Alessio, L. : Proposal of a method for identifying exposure to hazardous chemicals in biomedical laboratories. Clinica Chemica Acta, 256, 75-86, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-8981(96)06416-9
- Julien, R., DiBerardinis, L., Herrick, R. and Edwards, R. : Strategy to assess exposures of laboratory personnel to select OSHA-regulated chemicals at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Chemical Health & Safety, July/August, 25-29, 2001.
- Miller, S. K., Bigelow, P. L., Sharp-Geiger, R. and Bucham, R. M. : Exposures of geotechnical laboratory workers to respirable crystalline silica. Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 14, 39-44, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/104732299303403
- Kretchman, K. : Exposure assessment in a laboratory environment. Chemical Health & Safety, January/February, 2002.
- Henn, S. A., Utterback, D. F., Waters, K. M., Markey, A. M. and Tankersley, W. G. : Task- and time-dependent weighting factors in a retrospective exposure assessment of chemical laboratory workers. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 4, 71-79, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/15459620601109407
- Zalk, D. M. and Nelson, D. I. : History and evolution of control banding: A review. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 5, 330-346, 2008.
- Hashimoto, H., Goto, T., Nackachi, N., Suzuki, H., Takebayashi, T., Kajiki, S. and Mori, K. : Evaluation of the control banding method - Comparison with measurement-based comprehensive risk assessment. Journal of Occupational Health, 49, 482-492, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1539/joh.49.482
- Paik, S. Y., Zalk, D. M. and Swuste, P. : Application of a pilot control banding tool for risk level assessment and control of nanoparticle exposures. Annals of Occupational Hygiene, 52, 419-428, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/annhyg/men041
- Li, F. P., Fraumeni J. F. Jr., Mantel, N. and Miller, R. W. : Cancer mortality among chemists. Journal of National Cancer Institute, 43, 1159-1164, 1969.
- Olin, G. R. : Leukemia and Hodgkin's disease among Swedish chemistry graduates. Lancet, 2, 916, 1976.
- Olin, G. R. and Ahlbom, A. : The cancer mortality among Swedish chemists graduated during three decades. Environmental Research, 22, 154-161, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-9351(80)90127-9
- Hoar, S. K. and Pell, S. : A retrospective cohort study of morality and cancer incidence among chemists. Journal of Occupational Medicine, 23(7), 485-494, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-198107000-00016
- Walrath, J., Li, F. P., Hoar, S. K., Mead, M. W. and Fraumeni, J. Jr. : Causes of death among female chemists. American Journal of Public Health, 75(8), 883-884, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.75.8.883
- Checkoway, H., Mathew, R. M., Shy, C. M., Watson, J. E. Jr., Tankersley, W. G., Wolf, S. H., Smith, J. C. and Fry, S. A. : Radiation, work experience, cause specific mortality among workers at an energy research laboratory. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 42, 525-533, 1985.
- Maher, K. V. and Defonso, L. R. : A historical cohort study of mortality among chemical researchers. Archives of Environmental Health, 41(2), 109-116, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1986.9937419
- Cordier, S. : Risk of cancer among laboratory workers. Lancet, 335, 1097, 1990.
- Vagero, D., Swerdlow, A. J. and Beral, V. : Occupation and malignant melanoma: a study based on cancer registration data in England and Wales and in Sweden. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 47, 317-324, 1990.
- Carpenter, L., Beral, V., Roman, E., Swerdlow, A. J. and Davis, G. : Cancer in laboratory workers. Lancet, 338, 1080-1081, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(91)91938-Q
- Cordier, S., Mousel, M.-L., Le Goaster, C., Gachelin, G., Le Moual, N., Mandereau, L., Carrat, F., Michaud, G. and Hemon, D. : Cancer risk among workers in biomedical research. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment, and Health, 21, 450-459, 1995. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.61
- Brown, T. P., Paulson, J., Pannett, B., Coupland, C., Coggon, D., Chilvers, C. E. D. and Sasco, A. J. : Mortality pattern among biological research laboratory workers. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 73, 1152-1155, 1996.
- Gustavsson, P., Reuterwall, C., Sadigh, J. and Söderholm, M. : Mortality and cancer incidence among laboratory technicians in medical research and routine laboratories (Sweden). Cancer Causes and Control, 10, 59-64, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008892830922
- Wennborg, H., Yuen, J., Axelsson, G., Ahlbom, A., Gustavsson, P. and Sasco, A. J. : Mortality and cancer incidence in biomedical laboratory personnel in Sweden. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 35, 382-389, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(199904)35:4<382::AID-AJIM9>3.0.CO;2-F
- Wennborg, H., Yuen, J., Nise, G., Sasco, A. J., Vainio, H. and Gustavsson, P. : Cancer incidence and work place exposure among Swedish biomedical research personnel. International Archives of Occupational Environmental Health, 74, 558-564, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004200100267
- Kauppinen, T., Pukkala, E., Saalo, A. and Sasco, A. J. : Exposure to chemical carcinogens and risk of cancer among Finnish laboratory workers. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 44, 343-350, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.10278
- van Barneveld, T. A., Sasco, A. J. and van Leeuwen, F. E. : A cohort study of cancer mortality among Biology Research Laboratory workers in the Netherlands. Cancer Causes and Control, 15, 55-66, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CACO.0000016607.70457.47
- Kubale, T., Hiratzka, S., Henn, S., Markey, A., Daniels, R., Utterback, D., Waters, K., Silver, S., Robinson, C., Macievic, G. and Lodwick, J. : A cohort mortality study of chemical laboratory workers at department of energy nuclear plants. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 51, 656-667, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20601
- Canu, G. I., Rogel, A., Samson, E., Benhamou, S., Laplanche, A. and Tirmarche, M. : Cancer mortality risk among biologu research workers in France: first results of two retrospective cohort studies. International Archives of Occupational Environmental Health, 81, 777-785, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00420-007-0260-6
- Meirik, O., Källén, B., Gauffin, U. and Ericson, A. : Major malformations in infants born of women who worked in laboratories while pregnant. Lancet, 14, 91, 1979.
- Holmberg, P. C. : Central-nervous-system defects in children born to mothers exposed to organic solvents during pregnancy. Lancet, 28, 177-179, 1979.
- Hansson, E., Jansa, S., Wande, H., Kallen, B. and Ostlund, E. : Pregnancy outcome for women working in laboratories in some of the pharmaceutical industries in Sweden. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment, and Health, 6, 131-134, 1980. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.2623
- Axelsson, G., Jeansson, S., Rylander, R. and Unander, M. : Pregnancy abnormalities among personnel at a virological laboratory. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1, 129-137, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700010203
- Ericson, A., Källén, B., Meirik, O. and Westerholm, P. : Gastrointestinal atresia and maternal occupation during pregnancy. Journal of Occupational Medicine, 24, 515-518, 1982.
- Axelsson, G. and Rylander, R. : Use of questionnaires in occupational studies of pregnancy outcome. Annals Academy of Medicine Singapore, 13, 327-330, 1984.
- Axelsson, G., Lütz, C. and Rylander, R. : Exposure to solvents and outcome of pregnancy in university laboaratory employees. British Journal of Industrial Medicine, 41, 305-312, 1984.
- Ericson, A., Eriksson M., Källén, B., Westerholm, P. and Zetterström, R. : Delivery outcome of women working in laboratories during pregnancy. Archives of Environmental Health, 39, 5-10, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039896.1984.10545826
- Heidam, L. Z. : Spontaneous abortions among laboratory workers; a follow up study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 38, 36-41, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.38.1.36
- Taskinen, H., Kyyrönen, P., Hemminki, K., Hoikkala, M., Lajunen, K. and Lindbohm, M. L. : Laboratory work and pregnancy outcome. Journal of Occupational Medicine, 36, 311-319, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199403000-00008
- Khattak, S., K-Moghtader, G., McMartin, K., Barrera, M., Kennedy, D. and Koren, G. : Pregnancy outcome following gestational exposure to organic solvents - A prospective controlled study. Journal of the American Medical Association, 281, 1106-1109, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.281.12.1106
- Wennborg, H., Bodin, L., Vainio, H. and Axelsson, G. : Pregnancy outcome of personnel in Swedish biomedical research laboratories. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 42, 438-446, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-200004000-00022
- Wennborg, H., Bonde, J. P., Stenbeck, M. and Olsen, J. : Adverse reproduction outcomes among employees working in biomedical research laboratories. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment, and Health, 28, 5-11, 2002. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.640
- Zhu, J. L., Knudsen, L. E., Andersen, A.-M. N., Hjollund, N. H. and Olsen, J. : Laboratory work and pregnancy outcomes: a study within the National Birth Cohort in Denmark. Occupational Environmental Medicine, 63, 53-58, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2005.021204
- Halliday-Bell, J. A., Quansah, R., Gissler, M. and Jaakkola, J. J. K. : Laboratory work and adverse pregnancy outcomes. Occupational Medicine, 60, 310-313, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqq018
- Wright, W. E., Peters, J. M. and Mack, T. M. : Organic chemicals and malignant melanoma. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 4, 577-581, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700040411
- Chiazze, L. Jr., Walf, P. and Ference, L. D. : A historical cohort study of mortality among salaried research and development workers of the Allied Corporation. Journal of Occupational Medicine, 28, 1185-1188, 1986.
- Divine, B. J. and Barron, V. : Texaco Mortality Study II : Patterns of mortality among white male by specific job groups. American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 10, 371-381, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700100405
- Olin, G. R. : The hazards of a chemical laboratory environment-a study of the mortality in two cohorts of Swedish chemists. American Industrial Hygiene Association, 39, 557-562, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1080/0002889778507808
- Lindbohm, M.-L. : Effects of parental exposure to solvents on pregnancy outcome. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 37, 909-915, 1995.
- Kim, J. S. and Lee, H. W. : Studies on Microbiological Laboratory biosafety in Korea - I. A survey on biosafety status in laboratory. Infection and Chemotherapy, 20(2), 133-146, 1988.
- Park, S. Y., Kim, C. Y., Kim, J. Y. and Sakong, J. : The health effects of formaldehyde during an anatomy dissection course. Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 18(3), 171-178, 2006.
- Lee, H. J. : A survey on safety and health at chemical laboratories in university. Master's thesis in Public Health in Seoul National University, 1996.
- Kim, M. S. : A study on organic solvent exposure in chemical laboratories of universities. Master's thesis in Public Health in Seoul National University, 1997.
- Yoo, K. M., Roh, Y. M., Han, J. G. and Won, J. I. : A survey and recommendation on safety and health for occupational health laboratories. Korean Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 10(2), 150-164, 2000.
- Ha, J. H., Shin, Y. C., Lee, H. S., Paik, S. Y., Yi, G. Y. and Lee, B. K. : Evaluation of air contaminants concentrations and ventilation systems in governmental agency and university laboratories. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, 20(1), 63-69, 2010a.
- Ha, J. H., Shin, Y. C., Lee, S. C., Paik, S. Y., Kim, B. W., Choi, B. S., Kang, D. M. and Paik, N. W. : Exposure of laboratory workers to airborne nanoparticles during acid treatments on engineered carbon nanotubes. Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 36(5), 343-350, 2010b. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2010.36.5.343
- Byun, H. J., Ryu, K. N., Yoon, C. S. and Park, J. : Quantitative assessment strategy for determining the exposures to the volatile organic chemicals in chemistry laboratories. Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. (submitted)
Grant : 기초연구사업
Supported by : 한국연구재단