- Volume 36 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Association Between Air Pollution and the Prevalence of Allergic Rhinitis in the Ulsan Metropolitan Region
울산지역 대기오염과 알레르기 비염 유병률과의 관계
- Received : 2010.10.14
- Accepted : 2010.12.20
- Published : 2010.12.30
This study aims to investigate the relationship between air pollution exposure and the prevalence of allergic rhinitis in a young population in the Ulsan metropolitan region (UMR). Data on physician-diagnosed allergic rhinitis (past 12 months) in 1,449 infants and children aged 1-18 years who lived within 1.5 or 2 km of air quality monitoring sites were collected in a cross-sectional health interview survey conducted between January-February 2006 in the UMR. Comparisons of the spatial distribution of the prevalence rates for allergic rhinitis and annual average pollutant concentrations over the region showed that a relatively high prevalence rate occurred around the coastal industrial area, with high PM10 concentrations. A linear correlation analysis demonstrated a positive correlation relationship between them (R = 0.680, p = 0.04). Multiple linear regression analysis revealed that the combined effect of the PM10 and
air pollution;allergic rhinitis;Ulsan;PM10
- World Health Organization (WHO) : Health aspects of air pollution with particulate matter, ozone and nitrogen dioxide, Report on a WHO working Group, EUR/03/5042688, Bonn, Germany, 7-56, 2003.
- Bernstein, J. A. : Health effects of air pollution. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 114(5), 1116-1126, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2004.08.030
- Asher, M. I., Montefort, S., Bjorksten, B., Lai, C. K., Strachan, D. P., Weiland, S. K., Williams, H. and the ISAAC Phase Three Study Group : Worldwide time trends in the prevalence of symptoms of asthma, allergic rhinoconjunctivitis, and eczema in childhood: ISAAC phases one and three repeat multicountry cross-sectional surveys. Lancet, 368, 733-743, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69283-0
- Jee, H. M., Kim, K. W., Kim, C. S., Sohn, M. H., Shin, D. C. and Kim, K.-E. : Prevalence of Asthma, Rhinitis and eczema in korean children using the international study of asthma and allergies in childhood (ISAAC) questionnaires. Pediatric Allergy and Respiratory Disease, 19(2), 165-172, 2009.
- D'Amato, G. : Outdoor air pollution, climate and allergic respiratory disease: evidence of a link. Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 32, 1391-1393, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2745.2002.01519.x
- Diaz-Sanchez, D., Garcia, M. P., Wang, M., Jyrala, M. and Saxon, A. : Nasal challenge with diesel exhaust particles can induce sensitization to a neoallergen in the human mucosa. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 104(6), 1183-1188, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0091-6749(99)70011-4
- Miyamoto, T., Matsumara, Y., Kodama, T. and Saito, T. : Effect of sulfur dioxide upon respiratory sensitization in animals. Japanese Journal of Allergy, 17, 179-182, 1989.
- Matsumura, Y. : The effects of ozone, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide on the experimentally induced allergic respiratory disorders in guinea pigs. The American Review of Respiratory Disease, 102, 430-447, 1970.
- Muranaka, M., Suzuki, S., Koizumi, K., Takafuji, S., Miyamoto, T., Ikemori, R. and Tokiwa, H. : Adjuvant activity of diesel-exhaust particulates for the production of IgE antibody in mice. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 77, 616-623, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-6749(86)90355-6
- Ki, Y., Min, J., Yoo, H. and Paek, D. : The relationship between allergic responses and oxidative stress among male adults in an industrial area. Journal of Environmental Health Sciences, 34(2), 117-123, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2008.34.2.117
- Kramer, U., Koch, T., Ranft, U., Ring, J. and Behrendt, H. : Traffic-related air pollution is associated with atopy in children living in urban areas. Epidemiology, 11(1), 64-70, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200001000-00014
- Hajat, S., Haines, A., Atkinson, R. W., Bremner, S. A., Anderson, H. R. and Emberlin, J. : Association between air pollution and daily consultations with general practitioners for allergic rhinitis in London, United Kingdom. American Journal of Epidemiology, 153(7), 704-714, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/153.7.704
- Lee, Y. L., Shaw, C. K., Su, H. J., Lai, J. S., Ko, Y. C., Huang, S. L., Sung, F. C. and Guo, Y. L. : Climate, traffic-related air pollutants and allergic rhinitis prevalence in middle-school children in Taiwan. European Respiratory Journal, 21, 964-970, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1183/09031936.03.00094602
- Hwang, B.-F., Jaakkola, J. K., Lee, Y.-L., Lin, Y.-C. and Guo, Y. L. : Relation between air pollution and allergic rhinitis in Taiwanese schoolchildren. Respiratory Research, 7, 23-29, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1186/1465-9921-7-23
- Mygind, N. and Dahl, R. : Epidemiology of allergic rhinitis. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology, 7, 57-62, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3038.1996.tb00397.x
- Aberg, N., Sundell, J., Eriksson, B., Hesselmar, B. and Aberg, B. : Prevalence of allergic diseases in schoolchildren in relation to family history, upper respiratory infections, and residential characteristics. Allergy, 51, 232-237, 1996.
- Wyler, C., Braun-Fahrländer, C., Künzli, N., Schindler, C., Ackemann-Liebrich, V., Perruchoud, A. P., Leuenberger, P. and Wüthrich, B. : Exposure to motor vehicle traffic and allergic sensitization. The Swiss Study on Air Pollution and Lung Diseases in Adults (SAPALDIA) Team. Epidemiology, 11, 450-456, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200007000-00015
- Dockery, D. W., Cunningham, J., Damokosh, A. I., Neas, L. M., Spengler, J. D., Koutrakis, P., Ware, J. H., Razenne, M. and Speizer, F. E. : Health effects of acid aerosols on North American children: respiratory symptoms. Environ Health Perspect, 104, 500-505, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1289/ehp.96104500
- Charpin, D., Pascal, L., Birnbaum, J., Armengaud, A., Sambuc, R., Lanteaume, A. and Vervloet, D. : Gaseous air pollution and atopy. Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 29, 1474-1480, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2222.1999.00685.x
- Hirsch, T., Weiland, S. K., von Mutius, E., Safeca, A. F., Grafe, H., Csaplovics, E., Duhme, H., Keil, U. and Leupold, W. : Inner city air pollution and respiratory health and atopy in children. European Respiratory Journal, 14, 669-676, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1399-3003.1999.14c29.x
- Kim, H. C. and Leem, J. H. : Traffic-related air pollution and allergic diseases. The Korean Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 30(1), 5-11, 2010.
- Korea Ministry of Environment : Annual Report of Ambient Air Quality in Korea (2008), 40-44, 2009.
- Cho, S.-H., Kim, Y.-K., Sohn, J. W., Kim, W. K., Lee, S. R., Park, J. K., Min, K. U., Ha, M. N., Ahn, Y. O., Jee, Y.-K., Lee, S. I. and Kim, Y. Y. : Prevalence of chronic rhinitis in Korean children and adolescents. The Korean Academy of Asthma, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 19(3), 452-458, 1999.
- Polosa, R., Salvi, S. and Maria, G. U. : Allergic susceptibility associated with diesel exhaust particle exposure: clear as mud. Archives of Environmental Health, 57(3), 188-193, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/00039890209602935
- Pulmonary Function and Its Influence Factors of Residents in Yeosu Industrial Complex vol.20, pp.7, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.7.799
- Association between Pollen Risk Indexes, Air Pollutants, and Allergic Diseases in Korea vol.7, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrp.2016.04.003
- The effect of outdoor air pollutants and greenness on allergic rhinitis incidence rates: a cross-sectional study in Seoul, Korea vol.26, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/13504509.2019.1570982