- Volume 23 Issue 6
In this paper, a comparative study of metallic and non-metallic stiffened plates under a lateral pressure load is performed using conventional statistically determinate and SQP(Sequential Quadratic Programming) optimisation approaches. Initially, a metallic flat-bar stiffened plate is exemplified from the superstructure of a marine vessel and, subsequently, its structural topology is varied as hat-section stiffened FRP(Fibre Reinforced Plastics) single skin plates and monocoque FRP sandwich plates having a PVC foam core. These proposed structural alternatives are analysed using elastic closed-form solutions and SQP optimisation method under stress and deflection limits obtained from practice to calculate and optimise geometry dimensions and weights. Results obtained from the comparative study provide useful information for marine designers especially at the preliminary design stage where various building materials and structural configurations are dealt with.
Supported by : Kunsan National University
- American Bureau of Shipping (2003) Guide for Building and Classing, High-Speed Naval Craft (Part 3: Hull Construction and Equipment, Chapter 2: Hull Construction, Section 2: Design Pressure).
- Clarkson, J. (1965) The Elastic Analysis of Flat Grillages: With Particular Reference to Ship Structures, The Syndics of the Cambridge University Press.
- Davalos, J.F., Qiao, P., Barbero, E.J. (1996) Multiobjective Material Architecture Optimization of Pultruded FRP I-beams, Composite Structures, 35, pp.271-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(96)00035-9
- Gill, P.E., Murray, W., Wright, M.H. (1981) Practical Optimisation, Academic Press, London.
- He, Y., Aref, A.J. (2003) An Optimization Design Procedure for Fiber Reinforced Polymer Web-core Sandwich Bridge Deck Systems, Composite Structures, 60, pp.183-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8223(02)00311-2
- Muckle, W. (1967) Strength of Ships' Structures, Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd., London.
- Sedaghati, R., Esmailzadeh, E. (2003) Optimum Design of Structures with Stress and Displacement Constraints using the Force Method, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 45, pp.1369-1389. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2003.10.001
- Smith, C.S. (1990) Design of Marine Structures in Composite Materials, Elsevier Science Publishers Ltd.
- Zenkert, D. (1997) An Introduction to Sandwich Construction, EMAS, Chameleon Press Ltd., London.
- Liu, J.S., Hollaway, L. (2000) Design Optimisation of Composite Panel Structures with Stiffening Ribs under Multiple Loading Cases, Computers and Structures, 78, pp.637-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(00)00024-9