- Volume 12 Issue 3
Effects of Aromatherapy in blending oil of Basil, Lavender, Rosemary, and Rose on Headache, Anxiety and Serum Cortisol level in the Middle-Aged Women
베질 등을 이용한 복합 향기요법이 중년 여성의 두통, 불안 및 혈중 코티졸에 미치는 효과: 베질(ocimum basilicum), 라벤더(lavandula angustifolia), 로즈마리(rosmarinus officinalis) 및 로즈(rosa damascena, rosa centifolia)를 복합사용
- Cha, Jung-Hee (College of Nursing, The Catholic University) ;
- Kim, Myung-Ja (College of Nursing, The Catholic University) ;
- Kim, Hee-Seung (College of Nursing, The Catholic University) ;
- Kim, Yeong-In (Department of Neurology, College of Medicine, The Catholic University)
- Received : 2010.11.01
- Accepted : 2010.12.08
- Published : 2010.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of aromatherapy on headache, anxiety, and serum cortisol level in middle-aged women with recurrent headaches. Methods: Nineteen patients in the intervention group and 21 in the control group participated in the exercise. They were randomly selected volunteers whose average headache score over 6 months with above 4 points on the visual analogue scale (VAS). The experimental group received aromatherapy for 5 days; inhalation (3 times per day) and an application on the neck and both shoulders (one time per day). Prior and post treatment scores in headache, anxiety, and measurement of serum cortisol in experimental group were measured. Then, these were compared with the control group. The headache score was measured by VAS; anxiety score was measured by State Trait Anxiety Inventory; serum cortisol was measured by Radio-Immune-Assay method. Results: Decrease in headache, anxiety, and serum cortisol level in the experimental group was greater than those in the control group. Conclusion: It confirmed aromatherapy is effective in reducing headache, anxiety, and serum cortisol level.
Supported by : 가톨릭대학교 대학원
- Andrasik, F. (1990). Psychologic and behavioral aspects of chronic headache. Neurologic Clinics, 8, 961-976.
- Battaglia, S. (1995). The complete guide to aromatherapy. Brisbane: The Perfect Potion (Aust) Pty Ltd.
- Bove, G., & Nilsson, N. (1998). Spinal manipulation in the treatment of episodic tension - type headache. Journal of American Medical Association, 280, 1576-1579. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.280.18.1576
- Buckle, J. (2003). Clinical aromatherapy: Essential oils in practice. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone: Elsevier Science.
- Cho, K. S. (1998). The effect of hand massage program on anxiety in cataract surgery under local anesthesia. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University, Seoul.
- Cline, M. E., Herman, J., Shaw, E. R., & Mortor, R. D. (1992). Standardization of visual analogue scale. Nursing Research, 41, 378-380.
- Edge, J. (2003). A pilot study addressing the effect of aromatherapy massage on mood, anxiety and relaxation in adult mental health. Complementary Therapies in Nursing &Midwifery, 9, 90-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1353-6117(02)00104-X
- Han, S. H. (2002). Effects of aromatherapy on headache, stress and immune response of students with tension - type headache. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University, Seoul.
- Hyun, K. S. (2002). The effect of the Dan-Jun breathing exercise program on pulmonary function and psychological health of women in midlife. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 32, 459-469. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.4.459
- Itai, T., Amayasu, H., Kuribayashi, M., Kawamura, N., Okada, M., Momose, A., et al. (2000). Psychological effects of aromatherapy on chronic hemodialysis patients. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 54, 393-397. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1819.2000.00727.x
- Jager, W., Buchbauer, G., Jirovetz, L., & Fritzer, M. (1992). Percutaneous absorption of lavender oil from a massage oil. Journal of Society of Cosmetic Chemists, 43, 49-54.
- Kim, J. C., Park, M. A., & Kim, M. J. (2002). Aromatherapy in primary care. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine, 23, 417-429.
- Kim, J. T., & Shin, D. K. (1978). A Study Based on the Standardization of the STAI for Korea. The Newest medical Journal, 21(11), 69-75.
- Kim, K. S. (2003). Effect of aromatherapy on psychological and physiological responses in the middle aged women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, Y. S. (2002). The effects of aromatherapy on the preoperative anxiety of surgical patients. Unpublished master thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Machin, D., Campbell, M. J., Frayers, P. M., & Pinol, A. P. Y. (1997). Sample size tables for clinical trials, 2nd ed. Blackwell Science, Cambridge.
- Norton, P. J., & Asmundson. G. J. (2004). Anxiety sensitivity, fear, and avoidance behavior in headache pain. Pain, 111, 218-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2004.06.018
- Oh, H. K., Choi, J. Y., Chun, K. K., Lee, J. S., Park, D. K., Choi, S. D., et al. (2000). A Study for antistress and arousal effects and the difference of its effectiveness among three aromatic synergic blending oils. Korean Journal of Stress Research, 8(2), 9-24.
- Park, M. H., Koh, S. B., Park, M. K., & Lee, D. H. (2004). A Study on Headache in an IsIand Area of Korea. Journal Korean Neurological Association, 22, 40-45.
- Ro, Y. J., Kim, N. C., & Kim, H. S. (1990). The effects on EMG level by EMG biofeedback with progressive muscle relaxation training on tension headache. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 20, 195-213.
- Saeki Y., & Shiohara, M. (2001). Physiological effects of inhaling fragnances. International Journal of Aromatherapy, 11, 118-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0962-4562(01)80047-3
- Seo, W., Lee, J. B., Koh, S. B., Kim, B. J, Park, M. K., Par, K. W., et al. (2002). Headache epidemiologic study in Ansan city, Kyunggi- Do. Korea. Journal of Korean Neurology Association, 20, 479-485.
- Smith, M. C., & Kyle, L. (2008). Holistic foundations of aromatherapy for nursing. Holistic Nursing Practice, 22, 3-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.HNP.0000306321.03590.32
- Spielberger, C. D., Gorsuch, R. L., & Lushene, R. E. (1970). Mannual for the state-trait anxiety inventory. Palo Alto, California: Consulting Psychologist Press.
- Tavola, T., Gala, C., Conte, G., & Invernixxi, G. (1992). Traditional Chinese acupuncture intension - type headache: A controlled study. Pain, 48, 325-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(92)90080-U
- Wiebe, E. (2000). A randomized of aromatherapy to reduce anxiety before abortion. Effective Clinical Practice, 3(4), 166.