- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Bottom Ash as an Adsorbent of Lead from Aqueous Solutions
- Gorme, Joan B. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Maniquiz, Marla C. (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Soon-Seok (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Son, Young-Gyu (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Yun-Tae (Department of Ocean Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Lee-Hyung (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Kongju National University)
- Received : 2010.10.04
- Accepted : 2010.11.17
- Published : 2010.12.30
This study investigated the potential of using bottom ash to be used as an adsorbent for the removal of lead (Pb) from aqueous solutions. The physical and chemical characteristics of bottom ash were determined, with a series of leaching and adsorption experiments performed to evaluate the suitability of bottom ash as an adsorbent material. Trace elements were present, such as silicon and aluminum, indicating that the material had a good adsorption capacity. All heavy metals leached during the Korea standard leaching test (KSLT) passed the regulatory limits for safe disposal, while batch adsorption experiments showed that bottom ash was capable of adsorbing Pb (experimental
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). Management of drinking water quality [Internet]. Gwacheon: MOE; c2009 [cited 2010 Oct 10]. Available from: http://eng.me.go.kr/content.do?method=moveContent&menuCode=pol_wss_sup_pol_drinking.
- Ahmad A, Rafatullah M, Sulaiman O, Ibrahim MH, Chii YY, Siddique BM. Removal of Cu(II) and Pb(II) ions from aqueous solutions by adsorption on sawdust of Meranti wood. Desalination 2009;247:636-646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2009.01.007
- Kim MS, Sung CH, Chung JG. Adsorption of Pb(II) on metal oxide particles containing aluminum and titanium in aqueous solutions. Eviron. Eng. Res. 2005;10:45-53. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2005.10.2.045
- Aluyor EO, Oboh IO, Obahiagbon KO. Equilibrium sorption isotherm for lead (Pb) ions on hydrogen peroxide modified rice hulls. Int. J. Phys. Sci. 2009;4:423-427.
- Gueu S, Yao B, Adouby K, Ado G. Kinetics and thermodynamics study of lead adsorption on to activated carbons from coconut and seed hull of the palm tree. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Tech. 2007;4:11-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03325956
- Khan TA, Singh V, Ali I. Sorption of Cd(II), Pb(II), and Cr(VI) metal ions from wastewater using bottom fly ash as a low cost sorbent. J. Environ. Protect. Sci. 2009;3:124-132.
- Igwe JC, Abia AA. Equilibrium sorption isotherm studies of Cd(II), Pb(II) and Zn(II) ions detoxification from waste water using unmodified and EDTA-modified maize husk. Electron. J. Biotechno. 2007;10:536-548.
- Um NI, Ahn JW, Han GC, You KS, Lee SJ, Cho HC. Characteristic of magnetic-substance classification from coal bottom ash using wet magnetic separator. In: 3rd World of Coal Ash Conference; 2009 May 4-7; Lexington, KY.
- Kim SY, Tanaka N, Matsuto T. Solubility and adsorption characteristics of Pb in leachate from MSW incinerator bottom ash. Waste Manage. Res. 2002;20:373-381. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734247X0202000409
- Shim YS, Kim YK, Kong SH, Rhee SW, Lee WK. The adsorption characteristics of heavy metals by various particle sizes of MSWI bottom ash. Waste Manage. 2003;23:851-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(02)00163-0
- Sim YS, Lee WK. Preparation of adsorbent from MSWI ash. J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng. 2001;23:379-388.
- Ozkan O, Yuksel I, Muratoglu O. Strength properties of concrete incorporating coal bottom ash and granulated blast furnace slag. Waste Manage. 2007;27:161-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2006.01.006
- United States Geological Survey (USGS). Arsenic in coal [Internet]. U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2005-3152; c2006 [cited 2010 Oct 18]. Available from: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2005/3152/index.html.
- Lagergren S. About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances. Sven. Veten. Hand. 1898;24:1-39.
- Ho YS, McKay G. A comparison of chemisorption kinetic models applied to pollutant removal on various sorbents. Process Saf. Environ. Protect. 1998;76:332-340. https://doi.org/10.1205/095758298529696
- Low MJD. Kinetics of chemisorption of gases on solids. Chem. Rev. 1960;60:267-312. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr60205a003
- Freundlic HMF. Uber die adsorption in losungen. Zeitschrift fur Physikalische Chemie. 1906;57A:385-470.
- Removal of Cd(II) and Cu(II) from Aqueous Solution by Agro Biomass: Equilibrium, Kinetic and Thermodynamic Studies vol.17, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2012.17.3.125
- Reuse options for coal fired power plant bottom ash and fly ash vol.13, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11157-014-9336-4
- Single and binary adsorption of Cd (II) and Zn (II) ions from aqueous solutions onto bottom ash vol.32, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-014-0309-7
- Wertstoffgewinnung aus Kraftwerksaschen Teil I: Charakterisierung von Braunkohlenkraftwerksaschen zur Gewinnung strategischer Metalle vol.87, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/cite.201500052
- A Case Study of Landfill Leachate Using Coal Bottom Ash for the Removal of Cd2+, Zn2+ and Ni2+ vol.6, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/met6120300
- Immobilization of Metal Ions from Acid Mine Drainage by Coal Bottom Ash vol.228, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-017-3530-2
- Metal removal efficiency, operational life and secondary environmental impacts of a stormwater filter developed from iron-oxide-amended bottom ash vol.52, pp.14, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2017.1362291
- Adsorption isotherm models and error analysis for single and binary adsorption of Cd(II) and Zn(II) using leonardite as adsorbent vol.76, pp.22, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-7110-y