- Volume 27 Issue 3
Development of a Multi-material Stereolithography System
다중재료 광조형장치 개발
- Kim, Ho-Chan (School of Mechanical Engineering, Andong National Univ.) ;
- Choi, Jae-Won (W.M. Keck Center for 3D Innovation, University of Texas at EI Paso) ;
- Wicker, Ryan (W.M. Keck Center for 3D Innovation, University of Texas at EI Paso)
- Published : 2010.03.01
Researchers continue to explore possibilities for expanding additive manufacturing (AM) technologies into direct product manufacturing. One limitation is in the materials available for use in AM that can meet the needs of end-use applications. Stereolithography (SL) is an AM technology well known for its precision and high quality surface finish capabilities. SL builds parts by selectively crosslinking or solidifying photo-curable liquid resins, and the resin industry has been continuously developing new resins with improved performance characteristics. This paper introduces a unique SL machine that can fabricate parts out of multiple SL materials. The technology is based on using multiple vats positioned on a rotating vat carousel that contain different photo-curable materials. To change the material during the process, the build platform is raised out of the current vat, a new vat with a different material is rotated under the platform, and the platform is submerged into the new vat so that the new material can be used. This paper introduces a new vat exchange mechanism, cleaning process, recoating process, resin leveling mechanism and process planning technologies for the implementation of multiple material SL. An overview of the system framework is provided and the system integration and control software is described. In addition, several multiple material test parts are designed, fabricated, and described.
- Sangermano, M., Ortiz, R. A., Urbina, B. A. P., Duarte, L. B., Valdez, A. E. G. and Santos, R. G., "Synthesis of an epoxy functionalized spiroorthocarbonate used as low shrinkage additive in cationic UV curing of an epoxy resin," European Polymer Journal, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 1046-1052, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2008.01.039
- Sandoval, F. H. and Wicker, R. B., "Functionalizing stereo lithography resigns: effects of dispersed multi-walled carbon nanotubes on physical properties," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 292-303, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540610707059
- Chung, C.-M., Kim, J.-G., Kim, M.-S., Kim, K.-M. and Kim, K.-N., "Development of a new photocurable composite resin with reduced curing shrinkage," Dental Materials, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 174-178, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0109-5641(01)00039-2
- Nam, S., Khalil, J. and Sun, W., "Multi-nozzle deposition for Construction of 3D biopolymer Tissue Scaffolds," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 9-17, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540510573347
- Jafari, M. A., Han, W., Mohammadi, F., Safari, A., Danforth, S. G. and Langrana, N., "A Novel System for Fused Deposition of Advanced Multiple Ceramics," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 161-174, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540010337047
- Kumar, P., Santosa, J. K., Beck, E. and Das, S., "Direct-write Deposition of Fine Powders Through Miniature Hopper-nozzles for Multi-material Solid Freefrom Fabrication," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 14-23, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540410512499
- Li, X., Wang, J. and Shaw, L. L., "Laser Densification of Extruded Dental Porcelain Bodies in Multi-material Laser Densification Process," Rapid Prototyping Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 52-58, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552540510573392
- Son, Y., Lim, T. W., Yang, D.-Y., Yi, S. W., Kong, H. J. and Park, S. H., "Study on Process Parameters of a SU-8 Resin in Two-photon Streolithography for the Fabrication of Robust Three-dimensional Microstructures," J. of KSPE, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 130-137, 2008.
- Park, I. B., Ha, Y. M., Kim, M. S. and Lee, S. H., "Development of Dithering Process for Accuracy of Microstructure by Projection Microstereolithgraphy based on UV-DMD," J. of KSPE, Vol. 26, No. 8, pp. 7-13, 2009.
- Wicker, R. B., Medina, F. and Elkins, C. J., "Multiple Material Micro-Fabrication: Extending Stereolithography to Tissue Engineering and Other Novel Application," Proc. of 15th Annual Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, pp. 754-764, 2004.
- Arcaute, K., Zuverza, N., Mann, B. and Wicker, R., "Multi-Material Stereolithography: Spatially-Controlled Bioactive Poly(ethylene glycol) scaffolds for Tissue Engineering," Proc. of 18th Annual Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, pp. 458-69, 2007.
- Lozoya, O. A., "Development and demonstration of a multiple material stereolithography system," MS Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, The University of Texas at El Paso, 2005.
- Kim, H.-C., Choi, J.-W., MacDonald, E. and Wicker, R., "Slice overlap-detection algorithm for process planning in multiple-material stereo lithography," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, DOI 10.1007/s00170-009-2181-x.
- Kim, H., Choi, J.-W. and Wicker, R. B., "A Rule Based Scheduling and Process Planning Method for a Multi-Material Stereo lithography System," 19th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, pp. 26-27, 2008.