- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Efficient Dynamic Index Structure for SSD (SPM)
SSD에 적합한 동적 색인 저장 구조 : SPM
- 진두석 (한국과학기술정보연구원 정보기술연구실) ;
- 김진숙 (한국과학기술정보연구원 정보기술연구실) ;
- 류범종 (한국과학기술정보연구원 정보기술연구실) ;
- 정회경 (배재대학교 컴퓨터공학과)
- Published : 2010.02.28
Inverted index structures have become the most efficient data structure for high performance indexing of large text collections, especially online index maintenance, In-Place and merge-based index structures are the two main competing strategies for index construction in dynamic search environments. In the above-mentioned two strategies, a contiguity of posting information is the mainstay of design for online index maintenance and query time. Whereas with the emergence of new storage device(SSD, SCRAM), those do not consider a contiguity of posting information in the design of index structures because of its superiority such as low access latency and I/O throughput speeds. However, SSD(Solid State Drive) is not well suited for traditional inverted structures due to the poor random write throughput in practical systems. In this paper, we propose the new efficient online index structure(SPM) for SSD that significantly reduces the query time and improves the index maintenance performance.
- D. R. Cutting and J. O. Pedersen, "Optimization for dynamic inverted index maintenance," In Proceedings of the 13th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval, pp.405-411, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1145/96749.98245
- T. Chiueh and L. Huang, "Efficient real-time index updates in text retrieval systems," Technical Report ECSL-TR-66, Computer Science Department, SUNY at Stony Brook, 1999.
- L. Lim, M. Wang, S. Padmanabhan, J. S. Vitter, and R. Agrwal, "Dynamic maintenance of web indexes using landmarks," In Proceedings of the 12th international conference on World Wide Web, pp.102-111, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1145/775152.775167
- N. Lester, J. Zobel, and H. Williams, "In-Place versus Re-Build versus Re-Merge: Index Maintenance Strategies for Text Retrieval Systems," In Computer Science, 27th Australasian Computer Science Conference, pp.15-22, 2004.
- N. Lester, A. Moffat, and J. Zobel, "Efficient Online Index Construction for Text Database," J. of ACM Trans. Database Systems, Vol.33, No.3, Article 19, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1145/1386118.1386125
- A. Tomasic, H. Garcia-Molina, and K. A. Shoens. "Incremental updates of inverted lists for text document retrieval," In Proceedings of the 1994 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pp.289-300, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1145/191839.191896
- S. Buttcher, C. L. A. Clarke, and B. Lushman, "Hybrid index maintenance for growing text collections," In Proceedings of the 2004 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data, pp.1-4, 2004.
- D. Narayanan, E. Thereska, A. Donnelly, S. Elnikety, and A. Rowstron, "Migrating enterprise storage to SSDs: analysis of tradeoff," MSR-TR-2008-169, 2008.
- John A. Garrison and A. L. Narasimha Reddy, "Umbrella File System: Storage Management across Heterogeneous Devices," ACM Trans. Stor., Vol.5, No.1, Article 3, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1145/1502777.1502780
- S. W. Lee and M. Bongki, "Design of Flash-Based DBMS: An In-Page Logging Approach," In Proceedings of the 2007 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data, pp.55-66, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1145/1247480.1247488