- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Regulation against Unlicensed Contents Sharing on the Contents Producers' Profit
불법복제에 대한 규제가 콘텐츠 제작자의 수익에 미치는 영향
- Koh, Byung-Wan (School of Management, University of Texas at Dallas) ;
- Song, Hee-Seok ;
- Ryu, Young (School of Management, University of Texas at Dallas) ;
- Lee, Sang-Ho ;
- Kim, Dong-Il
- Published : 2010.02.28
As software producers have tried to keep their profit against illegal piracy, contents producers also want to protect their contents from unlawful sharing among users. Some researchers uncovered that the regulation on the unlicensed contents is not the best policy to maximize their profit mainly due to network effect but this issue has been still controversial. In this paper, we develop a model to investigate the effect of regulation against unlicensed contents sharing on the profit of contents producers and present the optimal condition to maximize profit of contents producers under the regulation and non-regulation of unlicensed contents. As a result, we analyzed that the firm's payoff under the regulation on unlicensed contents is not always greater than the payoff under the non-regulation because of network externality. If the additional utility from off-line purchase of type P consumers (who enjoy the additional benefit of off-line purchase) is large enough, then the firm's payoff is maximized without regulation.
- Y. Bakos, E. Brynjolfsson, and D. Lichtman, “Shared Information Goods,” Journal of Lawand Economics, Vol.42, No.1, pp.117-155, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1086/467420
- R. K. Conner and R. P. Runmelt, “Software Piracy: An Analysis of Protection Strategies,” Management Science, Vol.37, No.2, pp.125-139, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.37.2.125
- P. Gillin, “Site Licensing Gains Favor: Lotus Resists,” PC Week, pp.1-4, 1985(2).
- S. Liebowitz, “Testing File Sharing’s Impact on Music Album Sales in Cities,” Management Science, Vol.54, No.4, pp.852-859, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1070.0833
- Y. Liu, “Word of Mouth for Movies: Its Dynamics and Impact on Box Office Revenue,” Journal of Marketing, Vol.70, No.3, pp.74-89, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.70.3.74
- D. Mayzlin, “Promotional Chat on the Internet,” Marketing Science, Vol.25, No.2, pp.155-163, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.1050.0137
- N. J. Michel, “The Impact of Digital File Sharing on the Music Industry: An Empirical Analysis,” Topics in Economic Analysis and Policy, Vol.6, No.1, Article18, 2006.
- F. Oberholzer-Gee and K. Strumpf, “The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales: An Empirical Analysis,” Journal of Political Economy, Vol.115, No.1, pp.1-42, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1086/511995
- R. Rob and J. Waldfogel, "Piracy on the High C’s: Music Downloading, Sales Displacement, and Social Welfare in a Sample of College Students,” Journal of Lawand Economics, Vol.49, No.1, pp.29-62, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1086/430809
- O. Shy, The Economics of Network Industries, NewYork, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- M. D. Smith and R. Telang, “Competing with Free: The Impact of Movie Broadcasts on DVD Sales and Internet Piracy,” MIS Quarterly, Vol.33, No.2, pp.321-338, 2009.
- L. Tekeyama, “The Welfare Implications of Unauthorized Reproduction of Intellectual Property in the Presence of Demand Network Externalities,” Journal of Industrial Economics, Vol.42, No.2, pp.155-166, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/2950487
- H. R. Varian, “Buying, Sharing and Renting Information Goods,” Journal of Industrial Economics, Vol.48, No.4, pp.473-488, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6451.00133
- H. R. Varian, “Position Auctions,” International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol.25, No.6, pp.1163-1178, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijindorg.2006.10.002
- A. Zentner, “File Sharing and International Sales of Copyrighted Music: An Empirical Analysis with a Panel of Countries,” Topics in Economic Analysis & Policy, Vol.5, No.1, Article21, 2005.
- A. Zentner, “Measuring the Effect of File Sharing on Music Purchases,” Journal of Lawand Economics, Vol.49, No.1, pp.63-90, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1086/501082
- International Federation of the Phonographic Industry(IFPI),IFPIDigitalMusicReport2008,2008. http://www.ifpi.org/content/library/DMR2008.pdf.
- Considerations on the Making of Scientific Content and Processing of Biological Knowledge vol.11, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.11.503