- Volume 10 Issue 2
In Korea, about 80 academic departments related to fire science are in operation throughout the country, but fire science is not included as a branch science in the science classification system acknowledged by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and its position as a science is not solid yet. In response to this problem, research is being made actively to establish fire science recently. This study aims at composing the fire service policy theory which is one of sub areas of fire science. First, the concept of fire service policy should be established, and fire service policies should be divided into different types. In addition, it is necessary to examine the direction of the development of fire service policies in Korea, and the unique characteristics of fire service policies should be described. Next, we will mention fire service policy making and participants, theories on the determinants of fire service policies, the execution of fire service policies, and the evaluation of fire service policies. Particularly, based on the peculiarity of fire service, it is necessary to explain policies on fire prevention and precaution, fire investigation, rescue and first aid, public campaigns for safety and prevention, fire insurance, etc. Finally, we suggest the future directions of fire service policies according to the change of environment in the future.
- NEMA. The Major Statistics and Data in 2008. 2008.
- Ira Sharkansky. Public Administration: Policy-Making in Government Agencies, 3rd ed. Chicago: Rand McNally Co. 1975.
- James E. Anderson. Public Policy-Making. New York: Praeger Publishers. 1975.
- H. R. Kim, Policy Science. Seoul: Bubmoonsa. 1990.
- J. E. Lee, Disaster Management Theory. Seoul: Daeyoung. 2006.
- C. W. Lee and J. S. Jun, The Vision and Strategy of Fire Public Administration in Korea. 2004.
- B. S. Sin, A Study on the Problem and Improvement of Fire Service Administration System of Korea. Master Dissertation, Jeonnam National University. 2005.
- J, S. Park, A Study on the Operation Reality Analysis and the Improvement Plan for Fire-fighting. Master Dissertation, Dongkuk University. 1996.
- H. J. Roh, The Theory of Policy Science. Seoul: Bakyoungsa. 1996.
- H. J. Roh, Policy Evaluation. Seoul: Bubmoonsa. 2001.
- J. G. Jung, Policy Decision Making. Seoul: Daemyoung. 1994.
- J. G. Jung, The Theory of Policy Science. Seoul: Daemyoung. 1999.
- S. A. Lee, Police Policy Science. Seoul: Daemyoung. 2005.
- S. C. Woo, Fire Public Administration. Donghuagisul. 2007.
- Fire Act(Act No.9094).
- Fire Act Enforcement Ordinance(Executive Orders No.21146).