- Volume 28 Issue 5
Effects of Horticultural Occupational Therapy on the Physical and Psychological Rehabilitation of Patients with Hemiplegia after Stroke
반신마비 뇌졸중 환자의 심리와 정서적 재활에 대한 원예작업치료 효과
- Kim, Mi-Young (Department of Occupational Therapy, Seoul Metropolitan Eunpyeong Hospital) ;
- Kim, Gui-Soon (Department of Environmental Horticulture, University of Seoul) ;
- Mattson, Neil S. (Department of Horticulture, Cornell University) ;
- Kim, Wan-Soon (Department of Environmental Horticulture, University of Seoul)
- Received : 2010.07.23
- Accepted : 2010.08.16
- Published : 2010.10.31
To examine the effects of horticultural occupational therapy (HOT) on the physical and psychological rehabilitation of stroke patients with paralysis on one side of the body, a horticultural therapy (HT) program was implemented along with occupational therapy (OT) in 20 patients with hemiplegia after stroke (treatment group). In the control group, another 20 patients with hemiplegia after stroke received OT but no HT. The HOT program consisted of various indoor horticultural activities that proceeded stepwise on a weekly basis over the course of four weeks. The selected horticultural occupations were organized into four-phases: motivation, adaptation, sociality, and interpersonal relationships and communication. The grooved pegboard test (GPT), geriatric depression scale (GDS), and functional independent measure (FIM) were tested to the patients in this study. Unlike control group, the treatment group showed statistically significant differences in GPT, GDS, and FIM (
- Folstein, M.F., L.N. Robins, and J.E. Helzer. 1983. The mini-mental state examination. Arch. Gen. Psychiatry 40:812-820. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1983.01790060110016
- Folstein, M.F., S.E. Folstein, and P.R. McHugh. 1975. Mini-mental state a practical method for grading cognitive state of patients for the clinicians. J. Psychiatric Res. 12:189-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- Getz, D.A., A. Karrow, and J.J. Kielbaso. 1982. Inner city preferences for trees and urban forestry programs. J. Arboriculture 8:258-263.
- Granger, C.V., B.B. Hamilton, R.A. Keith, M. Zielesky, and F.S. Sherwin. 1986. Advance in functional assessment for medical rehabilitation. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation 1:59-74. https://doi.org/10.1097/00013614-198604000-00007
- Han, T.R. 2004. Changes in function of the non-paralyzed hand over time in stroke patients with one-sided paralysis. J. Kor. Acad. Rehabilitation Medicine 28:13-19.
- Han, T.R., J.H. Kim, and S.J. Lee. 1992. Importance of evaluating hand function of patients with one-sided paralysis. J. Kor. Acad. Rehabilitation Medicine 16:420-430.
- Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service. 2006. Peoples making health. Proc. Health Rev. and Assessment 71:5-7.
- Jeong, S.A. 2004. Effects of a horticultural therapy program applied in accordance with psychological adaptation stages on psychological and physical rehabilitation of stroke patients. Master's Diss., Konkuk Univ. Seoul, Korea.
- Jeong, S.H., M.R. Huh, B.H. Lee, and J.C. Park. 2006. Effects of horticultural therapy on self-esteem in patients with senile diseases. J. Kor. Soc. Plant People and Environ. 9:79-87.
- Kim, E.K. 2000. Effects of horticultural therapy on rehabilitation of stroke patients. Master's Diss., Konkuk Univ. Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, H.Y. 1999. Horticultural therapy. p. 52-58. Hyosung Catholic Univ., Press. DaeGu, Korea.
- Kim, M.Y. 1994. Study on upper limb function after stroke. J. Kor. Soc. Occupational Therapy 3:19-26.
- Kim, S.Y. 2001. Effects of horticultural therapy on rehabilitation of stroke patients with one-sided paralysis. Master's Diss., Konkuk Univ. Seoul, Korea.
- Kwon, Y.C. and J.H. Park. 1989. Standardization of Korean old person in mini-menta1 state examination (MMSE-K). Kor. J. Neuropsychiatric Asso. 28:508-513.
- Kwon, Y.H. 2006. Effects of horticultural therapy on psychology and sociality of people with mentally retarded disabilities. Master's Diss., Univ. of Seoul, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, T.Y., J.G. Oh, H.Y. Kim, G.S. Lee, and M.H. Kim. 1999. Effects of upper limb function of the paralyzed side on hand dexterity of the non-paralyzed side. J. Kor. Soc. Occupational Therapy 7:56-67.
- Nakayama, H., H.S. Jorgenson, and H.O. Raschou. 1994. Compensation in recovery of upper extremity function after stroke. Arch. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 75:853-857.
- Patten C., J. Lexell, and H.E. Brown. 2004. Weakness and strength training in persons with poststroke hemiplegia: Rationale, method, and efficacy. J. Rehabilitation Res. Dev. 41:293-312. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2004.03.0293
- Pedretti, L.W. and M.B. Early. 2001. Occupational therapy practice skills for physical dysfunction. Mosby, Missouri.
- Relf, P.D. 1981. Dynamics of horticultural therapy. Rehabilitation Literature 42(5-6):147-150.
- Seo, J.G. 2005. Seoul horticultural fair 2005: Horticulture and Human care. p. 89-109. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. Suwon, Korea.
- Son, G.C., S.G. Park, H.O. Bu, G.Y. Bae, and G.Y. Baek. 2002. Horticultural therapy. Joongang Publishing Company, Seoul, Korea.
- Tereshkovieh, G. 1973. Horticultural therapy. HortScience 8:460. (Abstr.)
- Yesavage, J.A., T.L. Brink, T.L. Rose, O. Lum, V. Huang, M.B. Adey, and V.O. Leirer. 1986. Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: A preliminary report. J. Psychiatric Res. 17:37-49.