- Volume 32 Issue 6
Fundamental Studies on the Characteristics of the Surface Electrokinetic Behavior of Particulate Matter as an Extensive Property
입자성 물질의 크기성질로서의 표면 전기적 특성 규명에 대한 기초연구
- O, Se-Jin (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Su (Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2010.02.03
- Accepted : 2010.06.04
- Published : 2010.06.30
Generally, electrokinetic potential has been considered as an intensive property. In other words, electrokinetic potential is not affected by the amount of particulate matter. Montmorillonite, one of essential inorganic matter, was chosen to measure electrokinetic potential. The result of electrokinetic potential measuring experiment showed that the value observed to decrease as the amount of montmorillonite clay increased. This is due to the fact that total ions that adsorbed per unit mass were decreased as the amount of montmorillonite was increased. As a result, electrokinetic potential is considered as an extensive property. By using these results, total interaction energy of suspension was also checked, and revealed that total interaction energy was decreased as the amount of montmorillonite increased.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Liang, Y., Hilal, N., Langston, P., and Starov, V., "Interaction forces between colloidal particles in liquid : Theory and experiment," Advances in Colloid and Interface Sci., 134-135, 151-166 (2007).
- Gibson, J. H., Hon, H., Farnood, R., Droppoa, I. G., and Seto, P., "Effects of ultrasound on suspended particles in municipal wastewater,"Water Res., 43, 2251-2259(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2009.02.024
- Bjorklund, J., Geber, U., and Rydberg, T., "Energy analysis of municipal wastewater treatment and generation of electricity by digestion of sewage sludge," Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 31, 293-316 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(00)00091-4
- Takahashi, T., Ohkubo, T., and Ikeda, Y., "Montmorillonite alignment induced by magnetic field: Evidence based on the diffusion anisotropy of water molecules," J. Colloid Interface Sci., 299, 198-203 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.01.049
- Tombacz, E., and Szekeres, M., "Colloidal behavior of aqueous montmorillonite suspension:the specific role of pH in the presence of indifferent electrolytes," Appl. Clay Sci., 27, 75-94 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2004.01.001
- Lyklema, J., "Molecular interpretation of electrokinetic potentials," Curr. Opin. Colloid Interface Sci., 15(3), 125-130, (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cocis.2010.01.001
- Cadene, A., Durand-Vidal, S., Turq, P., and Brendle, J., "Study of individual Na-montmorillonite particles size, morphology, and apparent charge," J. Colloid Interface Sci., 285, 713-730 (2005).
- G. Lagaly, S. Ziesmer, "Colloid chemistry of clay minerals: the coagulation of montmorillonite dispersions", Adv. in Colloid and Interface Science, 100-102, 105-128 (2003).
- 임성철, "Electrokinetic 배수와 Zeta Potential의 상관성에 관한 실험적 연구," 석사학위논문. , 중앙대학교 대학원, (2008).
- Kinsela, A. S., Tjitradjaja, A., Collins, R. N., Waite, T. D., Payne, T. E., Macdonald, B. C. T., and White, I., "Influence of calcium and silica on hydraulic properties of sodium montmorillonite assemblages under alkaline conditions," J. Colloid Interface Sci., 343(1), 366-393 (2009).
- Benítez, E. I., Genovese, D. B., and Lozano, J. E., "Effect of pH and ionic strength on apple juice turbidity: Application of the extended DLVO theory." Food Hydrocolloids, 21, 100-109 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2006.02.007
- Liang, Y., Hilal, N., Langston, P., and Starov, V., "Interaction forces between colloidal particles in liquid: Theory and experiment," Adv. Colloid Interface Sci., 134-135, 151-166 (2007).
- Adamson, A. W. and Gast, A. P., Physical Chemistry of Surfaces 6th edition, John Wiley and Sons, Inc. (1997).
- Yuan, C. and Chiang, T., "Enhancement of electrokinetic remediation of arsenic spiked soil by chemical reagents," J. Hazard. Mater, 152. 309-315 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.06.099