- Volume 23 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Relationship between MHC-DRB1 Gene Polymorphism and Hydatidosis in Kazakh Sheep
- Li, Ren-Yan ;
- Jia, Bin ;
- Zhang, Wen-Ju ;
- Zhao, Zong-Sheng ;
- Shi, Guo-Qing ;
- Shen, Hong ;
- Peng, Qiang ;
- Lv, Li-Min ;
- Zhou, Qi-Wei ;
- Du, Ying-Chun
- Received : 2009.09.13
- Accepted : 2010.03.21
- Published : 2010.09.01
The objective of this work was to analyze the relationship between ovine major histocompatibility complex (MHC) DRB1 gene polymorphism and genetic resistance to hydatidosis in Kazakh sheep. The Ovar (ovine MHC) class II DRB1 second exon was amplified by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) from DNA samples of 702 Kazakh sheep, including 302 sheep with hydatidosis and 400 health controls. PCR products were characterized by the restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) technique using five restriction enzymes, i.e., MvaI, HaeIII, SacI, SacII and Hin1I, yielding 14 alleles and 28 genotypes. Comparing the frequency of genotypes in hydatidosis sheep with the control group, it was found that the genotype frequencies of MvaIbc, Hin1Iab, SacIIab, HaeIIIde, HaeIIIdf and HaeIIIdd in control sheep were significantly (p<0.01) higher than in hydatidosis sheep, indicating that a significant correlation existed between these genotypes and resistance to hydatidosis. Genotype frequencies of MvaIbb, SacIIaa, Hin1Ibb and HaeIIIef in sheep with hydatidosis were extremely significantly (p<0.01) higher than in the control group, and the genotype frequency of HaeIIIab was significantly higher (p<0.05), indicating that a marked correlation existed between these genotypes and susceptibility to hydatidosis. By way of analyzing haplotype with these resistant genotypes, the hydatidosis resistant haplotype MvaIbc-SacIIab-Hin1Iab of Kazakh sheep was screened out, and then verified through artificial hydatid infection in sheep. The results indicated that the infection rate of sheep with the resistant haplotype of hydatidosis was significantly lower (p<0.01) than without this resistant haplotype. It showed that the genic haplotype MvaIbc-SacIIab-Hin1Iab of Ovar-DRB1 exon 2 was the resistant haplotype of hydatidosis in Kazakh sheep.
Major Histocompatibility Complex;Ovar (Ovine MHC);Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism
- Andersen, F. L., H. Ouhelli and M. Kashani. 1997. Compendium on cystic echinococcosis. Brigham Young University, Provo, USA.
- Adeli, Ayiguli and W. G. Chen. 2009. The suggestions about resources and utilizing of Hazakah sheep. Sinkiang Animal Husbandry, China. 1:48-49.
- Amills, M. and O. Francino. 1995. Nest PCR allows the characterization of Taq I and Pst I RFLPs in the second exon of the Caprine MHC class II DRB gene. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 48:313-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-2427(95)05442-9
- Amills, M. and O. Francino. 1996. A PCR-RFLP typing method for the Caprine MHC class II DRB gene. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 55:255-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(96)05713-3
- Briles, W. E., H. A. Stone and R. K. Cole. 1977. Marek's disease: effects of B histocompatibility alloalleles in resistant and susceptible chicken lines. Science 195:193-195. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.831269
- Bernatchez, L. and C. Landry. 2003. MHC studies in nonmodel vertebrates: what have we learned about natural selection in 15 years? J. Evol. Biol. 16:363-377. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1420-9101.2003.00531.x
- Coppin, H. L., P. Carmichael and G. Lombardi. 1993. Position 71 in the alpha helix of the DR beta domain is predicted to influence peptide binding and plays a central role in allorecognition. Eur. J. Immunol. 23:343-349. https://doi.org/10.1002/eji.1830230207
- Dalimi, A., G. Motamedi and M. Hosseini. 2002. Echinococcosis/hydatidosis in western Iran. Vet. Parasitol. 105:161-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4017(02)00005-5
- Dematteis, S., M. Rottenberg and A. Baz. 2003. Cytokine response and outcome of infection depends on the infective dose of parasites in experimental infection by Echinococcus granulosus. Parasite Immunol. 25:189-219. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3024.2003.00620.x
- Ding, Y., B. Xia and M. Lu. 2005. MHC class I chain-related gene A-A5.1 allele is associated with ulcerative colitis in Chinese population. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 142:193-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2249.2005.02907.x
- Eckert, J. and P. Deplazes. 2004. Biological, epidemiological, and clinical aspects of echinococcosis, a zoonosis of increasing concern. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 17:107-135. https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.17.1.107-135.2004
- Jenkins, D. J., T. Romig and Thompson. 2005. Emergence re-emergence of Echinococcus spp. a global update. Int. J. Parasitol. 35:1205-1219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpara.2005.07.014
- Hedrick, P. W. 1994. Evolutionary genetics of the major histocompatibility complex. Am. Nat. 143:945-964. https://doi.org/10.1086/285643
- Klein, J. 1986. Natural history of the major histocompatibility complex. Wiley, New York.
- Kaufman, J. 1998. Venugopal K The importance of MHC for Rous sarcoma virus and Marek's disease virus some Payneful considerations. Avian Pathol. 27:S82-S87. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459808419297
- Konnai, S., Y. Nagaoka, S. Takesima, M. Onuma and Y. Aida. 2003. Technical note: DNA typing for ovine MHC DRB1 using polymerase chain reaction-restriction fragment length polymorphism (PCR-RFLP). J. Dairy Sci. 86:3362-3365. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73939-3
- Krieger, J. I., R. W. Karr and M. Grey. 1991. Single amino acid changes in DR and antigen define residues critical for peptide-MHC binding and T cell recognition. J. Immunol. 146:2331-2340.
- Li, Y., J. L. Yan and J. Li. 2005. Investigation and analysis of epidemic conditions of hydatidosis disease of sheep in Sinkiang. Journal of Shihezi University (Natural Science), China. 23:60-64.
- Longenecker, B. M. and W. M. Gallatin. 1978. Genetic control of resistance to Marek's disease. IARC Sci Publ. 24:845-850.
- Liu, Y. F., J. F. Gao and X. L. Pan. 1997. A Study on preparation of DNA from sheep blood. Journal of Shihezi University (Natural Science), China. 1:136-138.
- Liu, C. J., Y. J. Lee and K. W. Chang. 2004. Polymorphism of the MICA gene and risk for oral submucous fibrosis. J. Oral Pathol. Med. 33:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2004.00047.x
- Menkir, M., Sissay and Arvid Uggla. 2008. Prevalence and seasonal incidence of larval and adult cestode infections of sheep and goats in eastern Ethiopia. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 40:387-394. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-007-9096-z
- Piertney, S. B. and M. K. Oliver. 2006. The evolutionary ecology of the major histocompatibility complex. Heredity 96:7-21.
- Peng, L. Z., H. Shen and B. Jia. 2007. Polymorphism analysis of MHC-DRB1 gene in Chinese merino sheep by PCR-RFLP. Acta Veterinaria et Zootechnica Sinica, China. 38:1115-1119.
- Rausch, R. L. 1995. Life cycle patterns and geographic distribution of Echinococcus species. In: Echinococcus and hydatid disease CAB International (Ed. R. C. A. Thompson and A. J. Lymbery), Oxon, UK.
- Sayers, G., B. Good and J. P. Hanrahan. 2005. Major histocompatibility complex DRB1 gene: its role in nematode resistance in Suffolk and Texel sheep breeds. Parasitology 131:403-409. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0031182005007778
- Schierman, L. W. and W. M. Collins. 1987. Influence of the major histocompatibility complex on tumor regression and immunity in chickens. Poult. Sci. 66:812-818. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0660812
- Sun, D. X. and Y. Zhang. 2004. Polymorphism of the second exon of MHC-DRB gene in Chinese local sheep and goat. Biochem. Genet. 42:385-390. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:BIGI.0000039812.46203.89
- Schwaiger, F. W., D. Gostomski and M. J. Stear. 1995. An ovine major histocompatibility complex DRB1 allele is associated with low faecal egg counts following natural, predominantly Ostertagia circumcincta infection. Int. J. Parasitol. 25:815-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7519(94)00216-B
- Yang, Y., J. R. Xu and J. Wang. 2006. Polymorphisms of GoLA DRB3 exon 2 in 4 populations of sichuan local goats. Heilongjiang Animal Science And Veterinary Medicine, China. 1:12-15.
- Zheng, H., Z. X. Xu and H. Wen. 2000. Initial establishment of sheep model with Echinococcus granulosus infection. Endemic Diseases Bulletin, China. 15:15-16.
- Antibody and cytokine responses to hydatid in experimentally infected Kazakh sheep with hydatidosis resistance haplotype vol.108, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-010-2155-9
- Differential expressions of MHC-DQB1 mRNA in Chinese merino sheep infected with Echinococosus granuclosus vol.110, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-011-2714-8
- Effect of genetic variation in the MHC Class II DRB region on resistance and susceptibility to Johne’s disease in endangered Indian Jamunapari goats vol.39, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-313X.2012.01092.x
- infection, using a high-throughput approach vol.23, pp.1776-1042, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1051/parasite/2016023