- Volume 23 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Nutritionally-related Blood Metabolites and Gastrointestinal Parasites in Nguni Goats of South Africa
- Gwaze, F. Rumosa (Department of Livestock and Pasture Science, University of Fort Hare, Faculty of Science and Agriculture) ;
- Chimonyo, M. (Department of Livestock and Pasture Science, University of Fort Hare, Faculty of Science and Agriculture) ;
- Dzama, K. (Department of Animal Sciences, Stellenbosch University)
- Received : 2009.10.28
- Accepted : 2010.01.17
- Published : 2010.09.01
The objective of the study was to determine the relationship between faecal egg counts and nutritionally-related blood metabolites in Nguni goats of South Africa. Body weights, body condition scores (BCS), FAMACHA scores, faecal and blood samples were collected from 96 Nguni castrates. Faecal samples were analysed using the modified McMaster technique for nematodes and the sedimentation method for trematodes. Blood was analysed for packed cell volume (PCV), glucose, cholesterol, total protein, albumin, urea and creatinine. Season had an effect on glucose, globulin, total protein, creatinine, PCV and faecal egg counts (FEC). Globulin, PCV, creatinine and FEC were significantly higher in the wet season compared to the dry season. A quadratic relationship existed between faecal egg count loads and BCS whilst negative linear relationships were observed between faecal egg counts and creatinine, albumin and cholesterol levels of Nguni goats.
- Abo-Shehada, M. N. and H. A. Abo-Farieha. 2003. Prevalence of Eimeria species among goats in northern Jordan. Small Rumin. Res. 49:109-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00078-6
- Barry, D. M. and R. A. Godke. 2001. The boer goat: The potential for cross breeding. Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, USA. email@example.com
- Cabiddu, A., A. Branca, M. Decandia, A. Pes, P. M. Santucci, F. Masoero and L. Calamari. 1999. Relationship between body condition score, metabolic profile, milk yield and milk composition in goats browsing a Mediterranean shrubland. Livest. Prod. Sci. 61:267-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00076-7
- Calame, K. B., L. Gallo, E. Cheriathundam, G. V. Vahouny and C. R. Treadwell. 1975. Purification and properties of subunits of sterol ester hydrolase from rats pancreas. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 168:57-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(75)90227-1
- Caldeira, R. M., A. T. Belo, C. C. Santos, M. I. Vazques and A. V. Portugal. 2007. The effect of long-term feed restriction and over-nutrition on body condition score, blood metabolites and hormonal profiles in ewes. Small Rumin. Res. 68:242-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.08.026
- Coop, R. L. and I. Kyriazakis. 2001. Influence of host nutrition on the development and consequences of nematode parasitism in ruminants. Trends Parasitol. 17:325-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1471-4922(01)01900-6
- Daramola, J. O., A. A. Adeloye, T. A. Fatoba and A. O. Soladoye. 2005. Haematological and biochemical parameters of WAD goats. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 17:8.
- Dawo, F. and M. Tibbo. 2005. Anthelmintic effect of Halothamus somalensis in Arsi-Bale goats. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 17:68.
- Doumas, B. T. and H. G. Briggs. 1972. Determination of serum albumin: In Standard methods of clinical chemistry. Cooper, G.A., (Ed), Academic Press, Inc., New York, 7, 175.
- Foreyt, W. J. 2001. Veterinary Parasitology Reference Manual, Blackwell Publishers, Iowa, USA.
- Friedricks, G. 1993. Using body condition score to evaluate feeding management. In: Proceedings of the 1993 American Dairy Goat Association Natural Convention, Portland, Oregon. Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL.
- Gochman, N. and J. M. Schmitz. 1972. Application of a new peroxidase indicator reaction to the specific, automated determination of glucose with glucose oxidase. Clin. Chem. 18: 943-950.
- Grunwaldt, E. G., J. C. Guevara, O. R. Estevez, A. Vicente, H. Rousselle, N. Alcunten, D. Aguerregaray and C. R. Stasi. 2005. Biochemical and haematological measurements in beef cattle in Mendoza plain rangelands (Argentina). Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 37:527-540. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-005-2474-5
- Honhold, N., H. Petit, R. W. and B. Halliwell. 1989. Condition scoring scheme for Small East African goats in Zimbabwe. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 21:121-127. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02236191
- Hoste, H., J. F. Torres-Acosta, V. Paolini, A. Aguilar-Caballero, E. Etter, Y. Lefrileux, C. Chartier and C. Broqua. 2005. Interactions between nutrition and gastrointestinal infections with parasitic nematodes in goats. Small Rumin. Res. 60:141-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.008
- Kaneko, J. J., J. W. Harvey and M. L. Bruss. 1997. Clinical biochemistry of domestic animals, Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Kaplan, R. M., J. M. Burke, T. H. Terrill, J. E. Miller, W. R. Getz, S. Mobini, E. Valencia, M. Williams, L. H. Williamson, M. Larsen and A. F. Vatta. 2004. Validation of the FAMACHA eye colour chart for detecting clinical anaemia on sheep and goat farms in the southern United States. Vet. Parasitol. 123:105-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2004.06.005
- Kida, Y., F. Morimoto and M. Sakaguchi. 2007. Two translocating hydrophilic segments of a nascent chain span the ER membrane during multispanning protein topogenesis. J. Cell. Biol. 179:1441-1452. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.200707050
- Kohn, R. A., M. M. Dinneen and E. Russek-Cohen. 2005. Using blood urea nitrogen to predict nitrogen excretion and efficiency of nitrogen utilization in cattle, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, and rats. J. Anim. Sci. 83:879-889.
- Kusiluka, L. and D. Kambarage. 1996. Diseases of small ruminants - A Handbook. Common Diseases of Sheep and Goats in Sub-Saharan Africa, VETAID, Centre for Tropical Veterinary Medicine Easter Bush Roslin, Scotland.
- Lehloenya, K. C., J. P. C. Greyling and L. M. J. Schwalbach. 2005. Reproductive performance of South African indigenous goats following oestrous synchronisation and AI. Small Rumin. Res. 57:115-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.05.004
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr and R. J. Randall. 1951. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:265-275.
- Matanovic, K., K. Serevin, F. Martinkovic, M. Simpraga, Z. Janicki and J. Barisic. 2007. Haematological and biochemical changes in organically farmed sheep naturally infected with Fasciola hepatica. Parasitol. Res. 101:1657-1661. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-007-0709-2
- Matjila, P. T. and B. L. Penzhorn. 2003. Occurrence and diversity of bovine coccidia at three localities in South Africa. Vet. Parasitol. 104:93-102.
- Mbuh, J. V., K. J. N. Ndamukong, N. Ntonifor and G. F. Nforlem. 2008. Parasites of sheep and goats and their prevalence in Bokova, a rural area of Buea Sub Division, Cameroon. Vet. Parasitol. 156:350-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2008.06.021
- Mellado, M., R. Valdez, L. M. Lara and J. E. Garcia. 2004. Risk factors involved in conception, abortion, and kidding rates of goats under extensive conditions. Small Rumin. Res. 55:191-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2003.10.016
- Mucina, I. and M. C. Rutherford. 2006. The vegetation of South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland. Strelitzia 19. South African National Biodiversity Institute, Pretoria.
- Ndlovu, T., M. Chimonyo, A. I. Okoh, V. Muchenje, K. Dzama and J. G. Raats. 2007. Assessing the nutritional status of beef cattle: current practices and future prospects. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 6:2727-2734.
- Nwosu, C. O., P. P. Madu and W. S. Richards. 2007. Prevalence and seasonal changes in the population of gastrointestinal nematodes of small ruminants in the semi-arid zone of north-eastern Nigeria. Vet. Parasitol. 144:118-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2006.09.004
- Pambu-Golla, R., P. B. Cronja and N. H. Casey. 2000. An evaluation of the use of blood metabolite concentrations as indicators of nutritional status in free-ranging indigenous goats. S Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 20:115-120.
- Payne, J. M. and S. Payne. 1987. The metabolic profile test, Oxford University Press, Oxford (1987) 179 pp.
- Pinnell, A. E. and B. E. Northam. 1978. New automated dye-binding method for serum albumin determination with bromcresol purple. Clin. Chem. 24:80-86.
- Regassa, F., T. Sori, R. Dhuguma and Y. Kiros. 2006. Epidemiology of gastrointestinal parasites of ruminants in Western Oromia, Ethiopia. J. Appl. Res. Vet. Med. 4:51-57.
- Reynolds, C. K., P. C. Aikman, B. Lupoli, D. J. Humphries and D. E. Beever. 2003. Splanchnic metabolism of dairy cows during the transition from late gestation through early lactation. J. Dairy Sci. 86:1201-1217. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73704-7
- Sasaki, O., N. Yamamoto, K. Togashi and M. Minezawa. 2002. Effects of age, environments and sex on plasma metabolite levels in young Holstein calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:637-642. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.637
- SAS. 2003. Statistical analysis system user's guide (5th Edition), Version 6, (SAS Institute Inc., Raleigh, North Carolina, USA).
- Schroder, U. J. and R. Staufenbiel. 2006. Methods to determine body fat reserves in the dairy cow with special regards to ultrasonographic measurement of backfat thickness. J. Dairy Sci. 89:1-14. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72064-1
- Shabalala, N. and B. Mosima. 2002. Report on the survey of large and small scale agriculture/Statistics South Africa. Statistics SA Library Cataloguing-in-Publication (CIP) Data Pretoria: Statistics South Africa.
- Soulsby, E. J. L. 1982. Helminths, Arthropods and protozoa of domesticated animals, Lea and Febiger, Philadelphia.
- Tietz, N. W. 1995. Clinical Guide to Laboratory Tests, (3rd Ed.) WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA.
- Uhlinger, C. A. 1991. Equine small strongyles: epidemiology, pathology and control. The Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practising Veterinarian, 13:332-338.
- Whitlock, H. V. 1948. Some modifications of the McMaster helminth egg counting technique and apparatus. J. Council of Sci. and Ind. Res. Aust. 51:177-180.
- Wisloff, H., A. Flaoyen, N. Ottesen and T. Hove. 2003. Narthecium ossifragum (L.) Huds. causes of kidney damage in goats: Morphologic and Functional Effects. Vet. Pathol. 40:317-327. https://doi.org/10.1354/vp.40-3-317
- Influence of Dietary Supplementation of Condensed Tannins through Leaf Meal Mixture on Intake, Nutrient Utilization and Performance of Haemonchus contortus Infected Sheep vol.26, pp.10, 1970, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13066
- Grazing system and floor type effects on blood biochemistry, growth and carcass characteristics of Nguni goats vol.30, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0334