- Volume 23 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Dietary Lysine Restriction and Energy Density on Performance, Nutrient Digestibility and Meat Quality in Finishing Pigs
- Jin, Y.H. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Oh, H.K. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Piao, L.G. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Jang, S.K. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Y.H. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Heo, P.S. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Jang, Y.D. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Y.Y. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2009.11.20
- Accepted : 2010.05.31
- Published : 2010.09.01
This experiment evaluated the effects of dietary lysine restriction and energy density on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and meat quality of finishing pigs. A
Lysine;Dietary Energy;Growth;Meat Quality;Finishing Pig
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis, 15th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Apple, J. K., C. V. Maxwell, D. C. Brown, K. G. Friesen, R. E. Musser, Z. B. Johnson and T. A. Armstrong. 2004. Effects of dietary lysine and energy density on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing pigs fed ractopamine. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3277-3287.
- Bikker, P., M. W. A. Verstegen, R. G. Campbell and B. Kemp. 1994. Digestible lysine requirement of gilts with high genetic potential for lean gain, in relation to the level of energy intake. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1744-1753.
- Cameron, N. D., J. C. Penman, A. C. Fisken, G. R. Nute, A. M. Perry and J. D. Wood. 1999. Genotype with nutrition interactions for carcass composition and meat quality in pig genotypes selected for components of efficient lean growth rate. Anim. Sci. 69:69-80.
- Campbell, R. G. and M. R. Taverner. 1988. Genotype and sex effects on the relationship between energy intake and protein deposition in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 66:676-686.
- Castell, A. G., R. L. Cliplef, L. M. Poste-Flyun and G. Butler. 1994. Performance, carcass and pork characteristics of castrates and gilts self-fed diets differing in protein content and lysine:energy ratio. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 74:519-528. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas94-073
- Cho, S. B., H. J. Lee, I. B. Chung, H. F. Long, J. S. Lim, Y. Y. Kim and In K. Han. 2008. Effects of dietary energy concentration and lysine on the digestible energy ration for apparent amino acid digestibility in finishing barrows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21(2):232-236. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.60322
- DeVol, D. L., F. K. McKeith, P. J. Bechtel, J. E. Novakofski, R. D. Shanks and T. R. Carr. 1988. Variation in composition and palatability traits and relationships between muscle characteristics and palatability in a random sample of pork carcasses. J. Anim. Sci. 66:385-395.
- Dubois, S. 1987. Effect of protein and lysine levels in the diet on body gain composition and energy utilization in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 65:717-726.
- Eggum, B. O. 1970. Blood urea measurement as a technique for assessing protein quality. Br. J. Nutr. 24:983-988. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19700101
- Ellis, M., A. J. Webb, P. J. Avery and I. Brown. 1996. The influence of terminal sire genotype, sex, slaughter weight, feeding regime and slaughter-house on growth performance and carcass and meat quality in pigs and on the organoleptic properties of fresh pork. Anim. Sci. 62:521-530. https://doi.org/10.1017/S135772980001506X
- Friesen, K. G., J. L. Nelssen, R. D. Goodband, M. D. Tokach, J. A. Unruh, D. H. Kropf and B. J. Kerr. 1994. Influence of dietary lysine on growth and carcass composition of high-lean-growth gilts fed from 34 to 72 kilograms. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1761-1770.
- Goerl, K. F., S. J. Eilert, R. W. Mandigo, H. Y. Chen and P. S. Miller. 1995. Pork characteristics as affected by two populations of swine and six crude protein levels. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3621-3626.
- Hahn, J. D., R. R. Biehl and D. H. Baker. 1995. Ideal digestible lysine levels for early and late finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 73:773-784.
- Honikel, D. O., C. J. Kim, R. Roncales and R. Hamm. 1986. Sarcomere shortening of prerigor muscles and its influence on drip loss. Meat Sci. 16:267-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90038-0
- Kenji, M. 2002. Creating special pork for the Japanese market. Advances in Pork Prod.13:233-237.
- Katsumata, M., Y. Kaji, R. Takada and M. J. Dauncey. 2007. Nutritional regulation of GLUT expression, glucose metabolism, and intramuscular fat content in porcine muscle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:1297-1304. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1297
- Kauffman, R. G., G. Eikelenboom, P. G. Vanderwal, G. Merkus and M. Zaar. 1986. The use of filter-paper to estimate drip loss of porcine musculature. Meat Sci. 18:191-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(86)90033-1
- Le Dividich, J., J. Noblet and T. Bikawa. 1987. Effect of environmental temperature and dietary energy concentration on the performance and carcass characteristics of growing-finishing pigs fed to equal rate of gain. Livest. Prod. Sci. 17:235-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(87)90069-8
- Matthews, J. O., A. D. Higbie, L. L. Southern, D. F. Coombs, T. D. Bidner and R. L. Odgaard. 2003. Effect of chromium propionate and metabolizable energy on growth, carcass traits, and pork quality of growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 81:191-196.
- Matthews, J. O., L. L. Southern, J. E. Pontif, A. D. Higbie and T. D. Bidner. 1998. Interactive effects of betaine, crude protein, and net energy in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2444-2455.
- Myer, R. O., D. D. Johnson, D. A. Knauft, D. W. Gorbet, J. H. Brendemuhl and W. R. Walker. 1992. Effect of feeding high-oleic-acid peanuts to growing-finishing swine on resulting carcass fatty acid profile and on carcass and meat quality characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 70:3734-3741.
- Novakofski, J., S. Park, P. J. Bechtel and F. K. Mckeith. 1989. Composition of cooked pork chops: Effect of removing subcutaneous fat before cooking. J. Food Sci. 54:15-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb08556.x
- NPPC. 1999. Official color and marbling standards. Natl. Pork Prod. Council, Des Moines, IA.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, DC.
- Rincker, P. J., J. Killefer, M. Ellis, M. S. Brewer and F. K. McKeith. 2008. Intramuscular fat content has little influence on the eating quality of fresh pork loin chops. J. Anim. Sci. 86:730-737.
- SAS. 2006. SAS. User's guide; Statistics, SAS Inst. Inc. Cary. NC.
- Schwab, C. R., T. J. Baas, K. Stalder and J. W. Mabry. 2006. Effect of long-term selection for increased leanness on meat and eating quality traits in Duroc swine. J. Anim. Sci. 84:1577-1583.
- Smith, II, J. W., M. D. Tokach, J. L. Nelssen and R. D. Goodband. 1999. Effects of lysine:calorie ratio on growth performance of 10- to 25-kilogram pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:3000-3006.
- Szabo', C., A. J. M. Jansman, L. Babinszky, E. Kanis and M. W. A. Verstegen. 2001. Effect of dietary protein source and lysine:DE ratio on growth performance, meat quality, and body composition of growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2857-2865.
- Witte, D. P., M. Ellis, F. K. McKeith and E. R. Wilson. 2000. Effect of dietary lysine level and environmental temperature during the finishing phase on the intramuscular fat content of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1272-1276.
- Zhang, J., J. Yin, X. Zhou, F. Li, J. Ni and B. Dong. 2008. Effect of lower dietary lysine and energy content on carcass characteristics and meat quality in growing finishing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21(12):1785-1793. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.80191
- Effects of dietary lysine levels on the concentrations of selected nutrient metabolites in blood plasma of late-stage finishing pigs pp.09312439, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12714
- The influence of dietary lysine restriction during the finishing period on growth performance and carcass, meat, and fat characteristics of barrows and gilts intended for dry-cured ham production1 vol.89, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3791
- Effect of dietary soy oil, glucose, and glutamine on growth performance, amino acid profile, blood profile, immunity, and antioxidant capacity in weaned piglets pp.1869-1889, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11427-018-9301-y