- Volume 23 Issue 10
The objectives of this study were to compare the effectiveness of different indicators of mammary inflammation in buffalo and to evaluate the association of the indicators with buffalo milk yield, composition, and rennet coagulation properties. This study was carried out at four buffalo farms in central Italy using a total of 50 lactating buffalo. Milk from each buffalo was tested at the beginning, middle, and end of lactation. To evaluate the relationship between mastitis markers and milk components, three classes were defined for each of the following markers: total somatic cell count (TSCC), differential somatic cell count (DSCC), and bacteriological results The regression coefficient for the reference method and the alternative method of determining TSCC was 0.81, indicating that the method routinely used to analyze buffalo milk consistently underestimated actual TSCC. The milk samples positive for udder-specific bacteria also had higher TSCC values than the samples that were negative for bacteria (
Buffalo Milk;Somatic Cells;Polymorphonuclear Leukocytes;Milk Composition;Coagulating Properties
- Bansal, B. K., J. Hamann, O. Lind, S. T. Singh and P. S. Dhaliwal. 2007. Somatic cell count and biochemical components of milk related to udder health in buffaloes. Proceedings of the 8th World Buffalo Congress, Caserta, October 19-22. 1035-1038.
- Barbano, D. M., R. R. Rasmussen and J. M. Lynch. 1991. Influence of milk somatic cell count and milk age on cheese yield. J. Dairy Sci. 74:369-388. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78179-4
- Bartocci, S., C. Tripaldi and S. Terramoccia. 2002. The characteristics of foodstuffs and diets, the quanti-qualitative milk parameters of Mediterranean buffaloes bred in Italy using the intensive system. An estimate of the nutritional requirements of buffalo herd lactating or dry. Livest. Prod. Sci. 77: 45-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00022-2
- Burvenich, C., A. J. Guidry and M. J. Paape. 1995. Natural defence mechanism of the lactating and dry mammary gland (overview paper). Proceedings of 3rd IDF Int. Mastitis Seminar, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Ceron-Munoz, M., H. Tonhati, J. Duarte, J. Oliveira, M. Munoz-Berrocal and H. Jurado-Gamez. 2002. Factors affecting somatic cell counts and their relations with milk and milk constituent yield in buffaloes. J. Dairy Sci. 85:2885-2889. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74376-2
- Dhakal, I. P. 2004. Normal somatic cell count and subclinical mastitis in Murrah buffaloes. Buffalo J. 3:261-270.
- Galli, A. and L. Guallini. 1966. Ricerche sul valore diagnostico dei polinucleati neutrofili nel latte mastitico. Arch. Vet. Ital. 17: 435-444.
- Grandison, A. S. and G. D. Ford. 1986. Effect of variations in somatic cell count on the rennet coagulation properties of milk and on the yield, composition and quality of Cheddar cheese. J. Dairy Res. 53:645-655. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900033173
- Guarino, A., L. Baldi, G. Fusco, M. C. Landolfi, A. Russo, R. Gagliardi and L. Serpe. 1994 Valutazione quanti-qualitativa delle cellule presenti nel latte di bufala. Atti SISVet. 1201-1204.
- Hamann, J. and V. Kromker. 1997. Potential of specific milk composition variables for cow health management. Livest. Prod. Sci. 48:201-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(97)00027-4
- Hamann, J. 2002a. Relation between somatic cell count and milk composition. IDF Bulletin 372:56-59.
- Hamann, J. 2002b. Milk quality and udder health in relation to modern milking. In: Recent developments and perpective in bovine medicine. Proceedings of the XXII World Buiatrics Congress, Hannover. pp. 334-345.
- Harmon, R. 1994. Physiology of mastitis and factors affecting somatic cell counts. In Mastitis and genetic evaluation for somatic cell count Symposium. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2103-2112. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77153-8
- Kelly, A. L., D. Tiernan, C. O’Sullivan and P. Joyce. 2000. Correlation between bovine milk somatic cell count and polymorphonuclear leukocyte level for sample of bulk milk and milk from individual cows. J. Dairy Sci. 83:300-304. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)74878-8
- Kitchen, B. J. 1981. Review of the progress of dairy science: bovine mastitis: milk compositional changes and related diagnostic tests. J. Dairy Res. 48:167-188. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900021580
- Miller, R. H., M. J. Paape and L. A. Fulton. 1991. Variation in milk somatic cells of heifers at first calving. J. Dairy Sci. 74: 3782-3790. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78570-6
- Munro, G. L., P. A. Grieve and B. J. Kitchen. 1984. Effects of mastitis on milk yield, milk composition, processing properties and yield and quality of milk products. Aust. J. Dairy Technol. 39:7-16.
- O’Sullivan, C. A., P. J. Joyce, T. Sloan and A. G. Shattock. 1992. Capture immunoassay for the diagnosis of bovine mastitis using a monoclonal antibody to polymorphonuclear granulocytes. J. Dairy Res. 59:123-133. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029900030375
- Orlandini, S., M. Miarelli, G. Palocci, C. Tripaldi, M. Catta and A. Fontana. 2008. Confronto tra il metodo di riferimento ed i metodi di routine per la determinazione delle cellule somatiche nel latte di bufala. Sci. Tecn. Latt.-Cas. 60:143-147.
- Pasquini, M., B. Tommei and S. Mattii. 2003. Buffalo milk: proteins electrophoretic profile and somatic cell count. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 2:299-301.
- Piccinini, R., M. Miarelli, B. Ferri, C. Tripaldi, M. Belotti, V. Dapra, S. Orlandini and A. Zecconi. 2006. Relationship between cellular and whey components in buffalo milk. J. Dairy Res. 73:129-133. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029905001548
- Politis, I. and K. F. Ng-Kwai-Hang. 1988a. Effects of somatic cell counts and milk composition on cheese composition and cheese making efficiency. J. Dairy Sci. 71:1711-1719. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79737-4
- Politis, I. and K. F. Ng-Kwai-Hang. 1988b. Association between somatic cell count of milk and cheese yielding capacity. J. Dairy Sci. 71:1720-1727. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79738-6
- Politis, I. and K. F. Ng-Kwai-Hang. 1988c. Effects of somatic cell counts and milk composition on the coagulating properties of milk. J. Dairy Sci. 71:1740-1746. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(88)79740-4
- Pyorala, S. 2003 Indicators of inflammation in the diagnosis of mastitis. Vet. Res. 34:565-578. https://doi.org/10.1051/vetres:2003026
- Rosati, R., G. Militello, C. Boselli, G. Giangolini, S. Amatiste, G.Brajon, S. Gazzoni, M. Casini, M. Scatassa, P. Bono, A.Cannas, G. Mugoni, M. Simula, G. Denti, S. Gradassi and A. Fagiolo. 2005. Cellule somatiche nel latte ovino e caprino: definizione del valore medio nazionale e del valore fisiologico. Sci. Tecn. Latt.-Cas. 56:161-181.
- SAS Institute Inc. 2006. SAS/STAT Release 9.12. Cary, NC, USA.
- Silva, I. D. and K. F. S. T. Silva. 1994. Total and differential cell counts in buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) milk. Buffalo J. 2:133-137.
- Singh, M. and R. S. Ludri. 2001. Somatic cell counts in Murrah buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) during different stages of lactation, parity and season. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:189-192. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.189
- Singh, R. S. and B. K. Bansal. 2004. Variation in selected components of milk among different milk fractions and its relevance to diagnosis of mastitis in buffaloes. Buffalo J. 20: 213-224.
- Smith, K. L. 2002. A discussion of normal and abnormal milk based on somatic cell count and clinical mastitis. IDF Bulletin. 372:43-45.
- Thomas, C. S., H. Nimmervoll, C. Boije, K. Svennersten-Sjaunja, N. Lundeheim and K. Ostensson. 2004. Occurrence of subclinical mastitis in buffaloes in different herd sizes and milking management system. Buffalo J. 20:289-306.
- Tripaldi, C., S. Terramoccia, S. Bartocci, M. Angelucci and V. Danese. 2003. The effects of the somatic cell count on yield, composition and coagulation properties of mediterranean buffalo milk. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:738-742. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.738
- Zannoni, M. and S. Annibaldi. 1981. Standardization of the renneting ability of milk by Formagraph. Sci. Tecn. Latt.-Cas. 32:79-94.
- Zecconi, A. and K. L. Smith. 2003. Ruminant Mammary Gland Immunity. FIL-IDF.
- 1. fruit juice on the biophysical parameters of healthy as well as mastitis-affected cow milk vol.41, pp.1, 2013, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618
- 2. Aspectos clínicos e laboratoriais da mastite induzida por inoculação intramamária de Staphylococcus aureus em vacas e búfalas vol.66, pp.5, 2014, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618
- 3. Efficacy of a polyvalent mastitis vaccine against Staphylococcus aureus on a dairy Mediterranean buffalo farm: results of two clinical field trials vol.13, pp.1, 2016, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618
- 4. Estimation of Mineral and Trace Element Profile in Bubaline Milk Affected with Subclinical Mastitis vol.176, pp.2, 2017, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618
- 5. Buffalo milk composition, processing factors, whey constituents recovery and yield in manufacturing Mozzarella cheese pp.0, 2017, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618
- 6. ) milk: A three year study pp.13443941, 2017, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618
- 7. Diurnal variation of milk somatic and differential leukocyte counts of Murrah buffaloes as influenced by different milk fractions, seasons and parities vol.49, pp.1, 2018, doi:10.5713/ajas.2010.90618