- Volume 23 Issue 10
This study compared the effect of four different feeding methods for gestating gilts on reproductive performance and growth of their progeny. A total of 40 F1 primiparous sows (Yorkshire
Feeding Method;Gilts;Body Weight;Backfat Thickness;Reproductive Performance;LH
- Agricultural Research Council. 1981. The nutrient requirements of pigs. Commonwealth Agriculture Bureaux, Slough, UK.
- Barb, C. R., X. Yan, M. J. Azain, R. R. Kraeling, G. B. Rampacekand T. G. Ramsay. 1998. Recombinant porcine leptin reduces feed intake and stimulates growth hormone secretion in swine. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 15:77-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(97)00064-7
- Bauman, B. E. and W. B. Currie. 1980. Partitioning of nutrients during pregnancy and lactation: A review of mechanisms involving homeostasis and homeorhesis. J. Dairy Sci. 63:1514. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)83111-0
- Boyd, R. D., K. J. Touchette, G. C. Castro, M. E. Johnston, K. U. Lee and I. K. Han. 2000. Recent advances in amino acid and energy nutrition of prolific sows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1638-1652. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1638
- Buitrago, J. A., E. F. Walker, W. I. Snyder and W. G. Pond. 1974.Blood and tissue traits in pigs at birth and at 3 weeks from gilts fed low or high energy diets during gestation. J. Anim. Sci. 38:766-771.
- Close, W. H. and D. J. A. Cole. 2000. Nutrition of sows and boars. Trumpton: Nottingham University, p.. 373.
- Dourmad, J. Y. 1991. Effect of feeding level of the gilt during pregnancy on voluntary feed intake during lactation and changes in body composition during gestation and lactation. Livest. Prod. Sci. 27:309-319. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(91)90126-B
- Dourmad, J. Y., M. Etienne and J. Noblet. 1996. Reconstitution of body reserves in multiparous sows during pregnancy: Effect of energy intake during pregnancy and mobilization during the previous lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2211-2219.
- Dourmad, J. Y., J. Noblet and M. Etienne. 1998. Effect of protein and lysine supply on performance, nitrogen balance, and body composition changes of sows during lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 76:542-550.
- Gamble, M. S. and G. A. Cook. 1985. Alteration of the apparent Ki of carnitine palmitoyltransferase for malonyl-CoA by the diabetic state and reversal by insulin. J. Biol. Chem. 260:9516.
- Kemp, B., N. M. Soede, F. A. Helmond and M. W. Bosch. 1995.Effects of energy source in the diet on reproductive hormones and insulin during lactation and subsequent estrus in multiparous sows. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3022-3029.
- King, R. H. and G. B. Martin. 1989. Relationships between protein intake during lactation, LH levels and oestrus activity in firstlitter sows. J. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 19:283. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4320(89)90101-2
- Kirkwood, R. N., E. S. Lythgoe and F. X. Aherne. 1987. Effect of lactation feed intake and gonadotrophin releasing hormone on the reproductive performance of sows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:715. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-074
- Koketsu. Y., G. D. Dial, J. E. Pettigrew, W. E. Marsh and V. L. King. 1996. Characterization of feed intake patterns during lactation in commercial swine herds. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1202-1210.
- Louise, B. M., C. S. Eeil, P. B. Lynch, M. K. O’Connell and P. G.Lawlor. 2008. The influence of increasing feed intake during gestation on litter size, piglet growth and within litter variation form birth to weaning. Arch. Tierz. 51:23-24.
- Lynch, P. B. 1989. Voluntary food intake of sows and gilts. In: The voluntary food intake of pigs (Ed. J. M. Forbes, M. A. Varley and D. P. Hennessy). Br. Soc. J. Anim. Prod. 13:71-77.
- Mullan, B. A. and I. H. William. 1988. The effect of food intake prior to farrowing on the body composition of first litter sows during lactation. Anim. Prod. 46:495.
- Mullan, B. A., W. H. Close and D. J. A. Cole. 1989. Predicting nutrient responses of the lactating sows. In: Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition (Ed. D. J. A. Cole and W. Haresign). p. 229.
- Noblet, J., J. Y. Dourmad and M. Etienne. 1990. Energy utilization in pregnant and lactating sows: Modeling of energy requirements. J. Anim. Sci. 68:562-572.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Quesnel, H. and A. Prunier. 1998. Effect of insulin administration before weaning on reproductive performance in feed-restricted primiparous sows. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 51:119-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(98)00061-X
- Revell, D. K., I. H. Williams, B. P. Mullan, J. L. Ranford and R. J.Smits. 1998. Body composition at farrowing and nutrition during lactation affect the performance of primiparous sows: I. Voluntary feed intake, weight loss, and plasma metabolites. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1729-1737.
- Rojkittikhun, T., S. Einarssons, K. Uvnas-Moberg, N. Lundeheimand A. Madej. 1993. Patterns of release of oxytocin, prolactin, insulin and LH in lactating sows, studied using continuous blood collection technique. Zentralbl. Veterinarmed. A. 40:412-421. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.1993.tb00646.x
- Shimizu, S., K. Inoue, Y. Tani and H. Yamada. 1979. Analytical biochemistry. 98:341. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90151-9
- Tokach, M. D., J. E. Pettigrew, B. A. Crooker, G. D. Dial and A. F.Sower. 1992. Quantitative influence of lysine and energy intake on yield of milk components in the primiparous sow. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1864-1872.
- Trottier, N. L. and L. J. Johnston. 2001. Feeding gilts during development and sows during gestation and lactation. In: Swine Nutrition. 2nd ed. (Ed. A. J. Lewis and L. L. Southern). CRC Press, New York. pp. 725-769.
- Weldon, W. C., A. J. Lewis, G. F. Louis, J. L. Kovar, M. A.Giesemann and P. S. Miller. 1994. Postpartum hypophagia in primiparous sows: I. Effects of gestation feeding level on feed intake, feeding behavior, and plasma metabolite concentrations during lactation. J. Anim. Sci. 72:387-394.
- Whitley, N. C., M. Thomas, J. L. Ramirez, A. B. Moore and N. M.Cox. 2002. Influences of parity and level of feed intake on reproductive response to insulin administration after weaning in sows. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1038-1043.
- Williams, I. H. 1998. Nutritional effects during lactation and during the interval from weaning to oestrus. In: The lactating sow (Ed. M. W. A. Verstrgen, P. J. Moughan and J. W. Schrama), Wageningen Pers, Wageningen. pp. 159-181.
- Xue, J. L., Y. Koketsu, G. D. Dial, J. E. Pettigrew and A. Sower.1997. Glucose tolerance, luteinizing hormone release, and reproductive performance of first litter sows fed two levels of energy during gestation. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1845-1852.
- Yang, H., A. R. Eastham, A. Phillips and C. T. Whittemore. 1989. Reproductive performance, body weight and body condition of breeding sows with differing body fatness at parturition, differing nutrition during lactation, differing litter size. J. Anim. Prod. 48:181-201. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100003901
- Young, M. G., M. D. Tokach, F. X. Aherne, R. G. Main, S. S. Dritz,R. D. Goodband and J. L. Nelssen. 2004. Comparison of three methods of feeding sows in gestation and the subsequent effects on lactation performance. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3058-3070.
- Effects of Dietary Energy Levels on the Physiological Parameters and Reproductive Performance of Gestating Gilts vol.29, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.10064