- Volume 23 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Antioxidants Supplementation on Acid Base Balance during Heat Stress in Goats
- Sivakumar, A.V.N. (Department of Veterinary Physiology, College of Veterinary Science) ;
- Singh, G. (Center for Advanced Studies on Physiology and Climatology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Varshney, V.P. (Center for Advanced Studies on Physiology and Climatology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2009.08.24
- Accepted : 2010.04.02
- Published : 2010.11.01
The effects of vitamin C and vitamin E with selenium on acid-base balance and some stress hormones were evaluated during heat stress in goats. Goats, 1.5 years of age, were divided into control, heat stress and antioxidant treatment groups 1, 2 and 3. Except for the control, all groups were exposed to a temperature of
Antioxidants;Acid Base Status;Stress Hormones;Heat Stress;Goats
- Abdel-Samee, A. M., T. H. Kamal, G. Abu-Sinna, and A. M.Hagag. 1992. Alleviation of the heat load on lactating goats with the use of diuretics and drinking cool water: Beitr. Trop. Landwirtsch. Veterinarmed. 30(1):91-99.
- Abilay, T. A., H. D. Johnson and M. Madan. 1975. The influence of environmental heat on peripheral plasma progesterone and cortisol during the bovine oestrous cycle. J. Dairy Sci. 58:1836-1840. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(75)84795-3
- Assali, N. S. 1968. Biology of gestation. Academic press, NY.
- Ayo, J. O., N. S. Minka and M. Mamman. 2006. Excitability scores of goats administered ascorbic acid and transported during hot-dry conditions. J. Vet. Sci. 7:127-131. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2006.7.2.127
- Benjamin, M. M. 1981. Fluid and electrolytes. In: Outline of Veterinary clinical pathology. Iowa state Univ. Press, Ames. Pp. 213-238.
- Benzie, E. F. I. and J. J. Strain. 1999. Ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay: Direct measurement of total antioxidant activity of biological fluids and modified version for simultaneous measurement of total antioxidant power and ascorbic acid concentration. Methods in Enzymol. 299:15-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99005-5
- Bernabucchi, V., B. Ronchi, N. Lacetera and A. Nardone. 2002. Markers of oxidative status in plasma and erythrocytes of transition dairy cows during hot season. J. Dairy Sci. 85:2173. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74296-3
- Brzezinska-Slebodzinska, E. 2001. Fever induced oxidative stress: the effect on thyroid status and the 5'-monodeiodinase activity, protective role of selenium and vitamin E. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 52(2):275-284.
- Bucklin, R. A., L. W. Turner, D. K. Beede, D. R. Bray and R. W. Hemken. 1991. Methods to relieve heat stress for dairy cows in hot, humid climates. Appl. Eng. Agric. 7:241-247. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.26218
- Cappa, C. 1958. Le metabolism de la vitamine C chez ruminants. Riv. Zootech. 31:299-308.
- Coppock, C. E., P. A. Grant, S. J. Portzer, D. A. Charles and A. Escobosa. 1982. Lactating dairy cow responses to dietary sodium, chloride and bicarbonate during hot weather. J. Dairy Sci. 65:566. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(82)82234-0
- Cummins, K. A. and C. J. Brunner. 1991. Effect of calf housing on plasma ascorbate and endocrine and immune function. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1582-1588. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78320-3
- Dale, H. E. and S. Brody. 1954. Thermal stress and acid-base balance in dairy cattle. Missouri Agric. Exp. Sta. Res. Bull., 562.
- Elmer, S. and P. Reinhold. 2002. Consequences of short term fluctuations of environmental temperature in calves- Part 1; Immediate reactions of respiratory system, the cardiovascular system, metabolism and thermal regulation. Dtsch. Tierarztl. Wochmshr. 109(4):182-192.
- Fraser, C. M. 1991. Acid-base balance. In: The Merck Veterinary Manual, 7th ed.merck&Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, pp. 1361-1367.
- Gall, T., M. Miklos, C. N. Raymond, J. Dixon and B. K. Speake. 1995. Development of Antioxidant capacity in tissues of Chicken embryo. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 112B(4):711-716.
- Ganong, W. F. 2001. Text book of review of medical physiology. Lange Medical books/Mc Graw hill Medical Publishing division, pp. 246.
- Ghanem, A. M., L. S. Jaber, M. Abi Said, E. K. Barbour and S. K.Hamadeh. 2008. Physiological and chemical responses in water deprived Awassi ewes treated with vitamin C. J. Arid Environ. 72:141-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2007.06.005
- Golub, M. S. and M. E. Gershwin. 1985. Stress induced immunomodulation. What is it, if it is? In: Animal stress (Ed. G. P. Moberg). Am. J. Physiol. Soc. Bethesda, M.D.
- Hadden, J. W. 1987. Neuroendocrine modulation of the thymus - dependent immune system. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 496:39. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1987.tb35744.x
- Hidiroglou, M. 1999. Tehenical note; Forms and routes of vitamin C supplementation for cows. J. Dairy Sci. 82:1831-1833. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75414-7
- Hoekstra, W. G. 1975. Biochemical function of selenium and its relation to vitamin E. Fed. Proc. 34:2083.
- Houpt, T. R. 1989. Water, electolytes and acid base balance. In: Dukes Physiology of Domestic Animals (Ed. M. J. Swenson), 10th ed. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, pp. 486-506.
- Kaushish, S. K., B. P. Sengupta and G. C. Georgie. 1997. Effects of thermal stress and water restriction on cortisol level of Beetal and Black Bengal goats. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 67:1104-1105.
- Kobeisy 1997. Effect of vitamin C and E on rectal temperature and respiratory rates in heat stressed goats. Assiut. Vet. Med. J. 37 (73):120-132.
- Kraus, A., H. P. Roth and M. Kirchgessner. 1997. Supplementation with vitamin C, vitamin E or beta-carotene influences osmotic fragility and oxidative damage of erythrocytes of zincdeficient rats. J. Nutr. 127(7):1290-1296.
- Lefcourt, A. M., J. Bitman, D. L. Wood and B. Stroud. 1986. Radiotelemetry system for continuously monitoring temperature in cows. J. Dairy Sci. 69:237-242. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80391-5
- Leonart, M. S., A. M. Weffort-Santos, E. M. Munoz, I. H. Higuti,V. A. Fortes and A. J. Nascimento. 1989. Effect of vitamin E on red blood cell preservation. Braz. J. Med. Biol. Res. 22(1):85-86.
- Masero, E. J. and P. D. Siegel. 1977. In: 2nd Edition. Acid Base regulation. Its Physiology and pathology and interpretation of blood gas analysis. W.B. Sunders, Philadalphia.
- McDowell, L. R. 1989. Vitamin C. Pages 365-387 in vitamins in Animal Nutrition. L.R. McDowell, ed.Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- Minton, J. E. 1994. Function of hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis and sympathatic nervous system in models of acute stress in domestic farm animals. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1891-1898.
- Orth, C. K. 1992. The glucocorticoids suppress immunity. New Sci. 205:311-313.
- Padilla, L., T. Matsui, M. Kamiya, M. Tanaka and H. Yano. 2006.Heat stress decreases plasma vitamin C concentration in lactating cows. Livest. Sci. 101:300-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.12.002
- Raghuramulu, N., K. Madhavan Nair and Kalyanasundaran. 1983. A manual of laboratory techniques. National Institute of Nutrition, ICMR, Jamai-Osmania, Hyderabad, pp. 124.
- Sahin, K., O. Kucuk, N. Sahin and M. Sari. 2002. Effects of vitamin C and vitamin E on lipid peroxidation status, serum hormone, metabolite, and mineral concentrations of Japanese quails reared under heat stress (340C). Int. J. Vitam Nutr. Res. 72(2):91-100. https://doi.org/10.1024/0300-98184.108.40.206
- Sanchez, W. K., M. A. McGurie and D. K. Beede. 1994. Macro mineral nutrition by heat stress interactions in dairy cattle: Review and original research. J. Dairy Sci. 77(7):2051-2079. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77150-2
- Shenglin, W., L. Yingcal, Z. Li, J. Z. Yong and J. Shouqun. 2003. Effect of antiheat stressors on serum biochemical index and immunity of finishing pigs. Chinese J. Anim. Sci. 39:11-12.
- Singh, R., S. S. Randhawa, M. S. Setia and S. P. S. Singha. 1991. Changes in acid-base status and blood gas dynamics in relation to season and pregnancy in buffaloes-A longitudinal study. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 61(6):584-589.
- Smith, V. G., R. R. Hacker and R. G. Brown. 1977. Effect of alterations in ambient temperature on serum prolactin concentration in steers. J. Anim. Sci. 44(4):645-649.
- Snedechor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. In. Statistical Methods, 8th Edition, Iowa state university press, Ames, Iowa -50010
- Srikandakumar, A., E. H. Johnson and O. Mahgoub. 2003. Effect of heat stress on respiratory rate, rectal temperature and blood chemistry in Omani and Australian Merino Sheep. Small Rum. Res. 49:193-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00097-X
- Usha R Deshpande, L. J. Joseph, U. N. Patwardhan and A. M. Samuel. 2002. Effect of Antioxidants (Vitamin C, E and Turmeric extract) on methimazole induced hypothyroidism in rats. Indian J. Exp. Biol. 40:735-738.
- Webel, D. M., D. C. Mahan, R. W. Johnson and D. H. Baker. 1998.Pretreatment of young pigs with vitamin E attenuates the elevation in plasma interleukin-6 and cortisol caused by a challenge dose of lipopolysaccharide. J. Nutr. 128(10):1657-1660.
- West, J. W. 1999. Nutritional strategies for managing the heat stressed dairy cow. J. Anim. Sci. 77(2):21-35.
- West, J. W., B. G. Mullinix and T. G. Sandifer. 1991. Changing dietary electrolyte balance for dairy cows in cool and hot environments. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1662-1674. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78329-X
- Yousef, M. I., M. H. Salem, K. I. Kamal and F. D. Nouty. 2003.Influence of ascorbic acid supplementation on the hematological and clinical biochemistry parameters of male rabbit exposed to aflatoxin B. J. Environ. Sci. B38:193-209.
- The stress of weaning influences serum levels of acute-phase proteins, iron-binding proteins, inflammatory cytokines, cortisol, and leukocyte subsets in Holstein calves vol.12, pp.2, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2011.12.2.151
- -Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) supplementation to optimize health and reproduction in cattle vol.32, pp.3-4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.2012.734640
- Effect of mineral mixture and antioxidant supplementation on growth, reproductive performance and adaptive capability of Malpura ewes subjected to heat stress vol.98, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12037
- The ameliorative effect of ascorbic acid on the oxidative status, live weight and recovery rate in road transport stressed goats in a hot humid tropical environment vol.85, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12174
- Review: Water stress in sheep raised under arid conditions vol.94, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas2013-188
- Expression of HSPs: an adaptive mechanism during long-term heat stress in goats (Capra hircus) vol.59, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-014-0922-5
- Exhaled breath condensate hydrogen peroxide concentration, a novel biomarker for assessment of oxidative stress in sheep during heat stress vol.56, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN14070
- Impact of heat stress and hypercapnia on physiological, hematological, and behavioral profile of Tharparkar and Karan Fries heifers vol.10, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2017.1149-1155
- Association of heat stress protein 90 and 70 gene polymorphism with adaptability traits in Indian sheep (Ovis aries) vol.22, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12192-017-0770-4
- Strong, sudden cooling alleviates the inflammatory responses in heat-stressed dairy cows based on iTRAQ proteomic analysis pp.1432-1254, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-017-1439-5
- Seasonal changes in blood biochemical and endocrine responses of different indigenous goat breeds of tropical island agro-ecological environment pp.1744-4179, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09291016.2017.1366723
- Dietary antioxidants at supranutritional doses improve oxidative status and reduce the negative effects of heat stress in sheep1,2 vol.92, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-7714
- Dietary antioxidants at supranutritional doses modulate skeletal muscle heat shock protein and inflammatory gene expression in sheep exposed to heat stress1,2 vol.92, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-8047
- Effect of induced transportation stress in goats supplemented with vitamin C and jaggery during hot dry season pp.1744-4179, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09291016.2018.1452591
- Physiological and biochemical blood variables of goats subjected to heat stress – a review vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1456439
- Metabolic Stress Indicators in Ewes (Ovis aries) under Post-parturient and High Protein Diet Conditions vol.13, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3923/ajava.2018.360.368
- Evaluation of some oxidative-stress and antioxidant markers in goats during estrous cycle under Egyptian environmental conditions vol.47, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/rbz4720160382