- Volume 21 Issue 6
Nafion Ionomer Content in Catalyst Layer for PEMFC Nafion Ionomer Content in Catalyst Layer for PEMFC
고분자 전해질 막 연료전지의 촉매층 내의 나피온 아이오노머양에 따른 단위 셀의 전기화학적 특성 연구
- Ahn, Kyung-Yong (Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Grad. School of Changwon National Univ.) ;
- Yang, Cheol-Nam (Material Processing Division, Korea Institute of Materials Science) ;
- Lee, Soo (Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Grad. School of Changwon National Univ.)
- Received : 2010.10.27
- Accepted : 2010.12.17
- Published : 2010.12.31
In order to confirm the effect of Nafion ionomer content in catalyst layer on the performance of PEMFC, we have fabricated several electrodes which were prepared by varying the quantity of Nafion ionomer from 24 wt.% to 39 wt.% in catalyst layer. The effect of Nafion ionomer of each electrode was evaluated with cyclic voltammetry measurement. In addition, cell performance was obtained through single cell test using hydrogen and air. The Pt utilization and performance of single cell were changed by addition of Nafion ionomer to the electrode. Single cell fabricated with 33 wt.% of Nafion ionomer in catalyst layer showed the maximum Pt utilization and performance.
Nafion ionomer;PEMFC;Cell performance;Cyclic voltammetry;Electrochemically active specific area
- S. J. Lee, S. Mukerjee, J. McBreen, Y. W. Rho, Y. T. Kho and T. H. Lee, "Effects of Nafion impregnation on performances of PEMFC electrodes", Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 43, No. 24, 1998, pp. 3693-3701. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-4686(98)00127-3
- S. H. Seo and C. S. Lee, "Performance Analysis of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel cell by AC Impedance Measurement", Trans. of the Korean Hydrogen and New Energy Society, Vol. 20, No. 4, 2009, pp. 283-290.
- S. J. Lee, K. H. Choi, T. H. Lee, W. I. Cho, Y. W. Rho and Y. T. Kho, "Effect of Nafion Impregnation for a Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell", J. of the Korean Institute of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 34, No. 2, 1996, pp. 188-193.
- J. P. Shim, T. Y. Oh, H. K. Lee and S. G. Park, "Characteristics and manufacturing proton exchange membrane fuel cell electrode by ion exchange method", J. of RIEET, Vol. 2, 1995, pp. 133-791.
- K. H. KIm, H. J. Kim, K. Y. Lee, J. H. Jang, S. Y. Lee, E. Cho, I. H. Oh and T. H. Lim, "Effect of Nafion Gradient In dual catalyst layer on proton exchange membrane fuel cell performance", Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 33, 2008, pp. 2783-2789. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.03.015
- J. K. Lee, H. Y. Ha, S. A. Hong, H. S. Chun, T. W. Lim and I. H. On, "Effect of Preparation Method of Catalytic Layer on the Performance of Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cells", J. of the Korean Institute of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 39, No. 1, 2001, pp. 109-115.
- G. SasiKumar, J. W. Ihm and H. Ryu, "Optimum Nafion content in PEM fuel cell electrodes", Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 50, 2004, pp. 601-605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2004.01.126
- X. Cheng, B. Yi, M. Han, J. Zhang, Y. Qiao and J. Yu, "Investigation of platinum utilization and morphology in catalyst layer of polymer electrolyte fuel cells", J. of Power Sources, Vol. 79, 1999, pp. 75-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(99)00046-4
- M. Uchida, Y. Aoyama, N. Eda, A. Ohta, "Investigation of the Microstructure in the Catalyst Layer and Effects Both Perfluorosulfonate Ionomer and PTFE-Loaded Carbon on the Catalyst Layer of Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cells", J. of the Electrochemical Society. Vol. 142, No. 2, 1995, pp. 4143-4149. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2048477
- V.A. Paganin, E.A. Ticianelli, E.R. Gonzalez, "Development and electrochemical studies of gas diffusion electrodes for polymer electrolyte fuel cells", J. of the Applied Electrochemistry, Vol. 26, No. 3, 1996, pp. 297-304.
- G. Sasikumar, J.W. Ihm, H. Ryu, "Dependence of optimum Nafion content in catalyst layer on platinum loading", J. of the Power Sources, Vol. 132, 2004, pp. 11-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2003.12.060
- Ying Song, Hui Xu, Yu Wei, H. Russell Kunz, Leonard J. Bonville, James M. Fenton, "Dependence of high-temperature PEM fuel cell performance on Nafion content", J. of Power Sources, Vol. 154, 2006, pp. 138-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.04.001