- Volume 45 Issue 1
Effects of Sizing Treatment of Carbon Fibers on Mechanical Interfacial Properties of Nylon 6 Matrix Composites
탄소섬유의 사이징처리가 탄소섬유/나일론6 복합재료의 기계적 계면 특성에 미치는 영향
- Park, Soo-Jin (Department of Chemistry, Inha University) ;
- Choi, Woong-Ki (Jeonju Institute of Machinery and Carbon Composites) ;
- Kim, Byung-Joo (Jeonju Institute of Machinery and Carbon Composites) ;
- Min, Byung-Gak (Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Chungju National University) ;
- Bae, Kyong-Min (Department of Chemistry, Inha University)
- Received : 2010.01.06
- Accepted : 2010.01.15
- Published : 2010.03.30
The sizing treatments of PAN-based carbon fiber surfaces were carried out in order to improve the interfacial adhesion in the carbon fibers/nylon6 composite system. The parameter to characterize the wetting performance and surface free energy of the sized fibers were determined by a contact angle method. The mechanical interfacial properties of the composites were investigated using critical stress intensity factor (
- M. M. Schwartz, "Composite Materials Handbook", 2nd ed., McGraw-Hill, New-York, 1992.
- W. S. Smith, "Engineered Materials Handbook", vol. 1, ASM International, Ohio, 1987.
- J. B. Donnet and R. C. Bansal, "Carbon Fibers", 2nd ed., p. 95-121, Marcel Dekker, New-York, 1990.
- E. Fitzer, "Carbon Fibers and Their Composites", Springer- Verlag, New-York, 1992.
- R. S. Bauer, "Epoxy Resin Chemistry", ACS Advances in Chemistry Series No. 114, American Chemical Society, Washington DC, 1979.
- S. J. Park, in "Interfacial Forces and Fields: Theory and Applications", ed. By J. P. Hsu, chap. 9, Marcel Dekker, New-York, 1999.
- J. R. Fried, "Polymer Science and Technology", p. 276-287, Prentice Hall, 1995.
- P. K. Mallick, "Fiber-Reinforced Composites; Materials, Manufacturing, and Design", p. 23-29, Marcel Dekker, New York and Basel, 1988.
- S. L. Chuang, N. J. Chu, and W. T. Whang, "Effect of polyamic acids on interracial shear strength in carbon fiber/aro- matic thermoplastics", J. Appl. Polymer Sci., 41, 373 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1990.070410129
- R. V. Subramanian et al., "Electrodeposition of a Polymer Interphase in Carbon-Fiber Composites", Polym. Compos., 7, 201 (1986). https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.750070403
- O. K. Johannson, F. O. Stark, G.E. Vogel, and R. M. Flesichmann, "Evidence for chemical bond formation at silane coupling agent interfaces", J. Comp. Mater., 1, 278 (1967).
- J. L. Koenig and P. T. K. Shih, "Raman Studies of the Glass Fiber-Silane-Resin", J. Colloid. Interface Sci., 36, 247 (1971). https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9797(71)90169-X
- S. J. Park and Y. S. Jang, "Interfacial Characteristics and Fracture Toughness of Electrolytically Ni-Plated Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Phenolic Resin Matrix Composites", J. Colloid Interface Sci., 237, 91 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2001.7441
- S. J. Park, M. H. Kim, J. R. Lee, and S. W. Choi, "Effect of Fiber-Polymer Interactions on Fracture Toughness Behavior of Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Epoxy Matrix Composites", J. Colloid Interface Sci., 228, 287 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2000.6953
- S. J. Park, B. J. Kim, D. I. Seo, K. Y. Rhee, and Y. Y. Lyu, "Effects of a silane treatment on the mechanical interfacial properties of montmorillonite/epoxy nanocomposites", Mater. Sci. Eng. A., 526, 74 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2009.07.023
- F. L. Jin, and S. J. Park," Impact-strength improvement of epoxy resins reinforced with a biodegradable polymer", Mater. Sci. Eng. A., 478, 402 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.05.053
- S. J. Park, M. K. Seo, and J. R. Lee, "Roles of interfaces between carbon fibers and epoxy matrix on interlaminar fracture toughness of composites", Compos. Interfaces, 13, 249 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1163/156855406775997079