- Volume 15 Issue 6
Building a Classification Scheme of Soil and Groundwater Contamination Sources in Korea: 1. State-of-the-Art and Suggestions
토양.지하수오염원 분류체계 구축방안: 1. 국내외 현황 및 시사점
- An, Jeong-Yi (Integrated Environmental Research Group, Korea Environment Institute) ;
- Shin, Kyung-Hee (Integrated Environmental Research Group, Korea Environment Institute) ;
- Hwang, Sang-Il (Integrated Environmental Research Group, Korea Environment Institute)
- Received : 2010.09.16
- Accepted : 2010.10.12
- Published : 2010.12.31
National inventory of soil and groundwater contamination is an efficient decision-making tool to identify and manage existing or potential contaminated sources and contaminants. It has been used as basic data for establishing the scheme of regulations and remediation plans of soil and groundwater contamination in developed countries. This study examined classification of existing or potential sources of soil and groundwater contamination from various countries to suggest implications that required for development of classification of soil and groundwater contamination sources in Korea. Each country has provided a list of currently or potentially contaminating activities or landuses and identified some of the potential contaminants related to those contamination sources. Consideration of sources which had not been mentioned or regarded as contamination sources before was suggested for Korea situation. In addition, it is necessary to compile a list of existing data and information as much as possible to develop a detailed and practical list of various contamination sources.
- 국립환경과학원, 2007, 우선관리대상 토양오염물질 선정 연구.
- 국립환경과학원, 2008, 지하수오염물질 우선관리대상항목 선정 연구.
- 환경부, 2009, 토양보전기본계획.
- ANZECC, 1992, Australian and New Zealand Guidelines for the Assessment and Management of Contaminated Sites, Australian and New Zealand Environment and Conservation Council, National Health and Medical Research Council.
- Arizona DEQ, 1997, Wellhead Protection: A Guide for Arizona Communities, Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, Tucson, Arizona.
- California DHS, 1999, Drinking Water Source Assessment and Protection(DWSAP) Program, California Department of Health Services.
- DEC, 2004, Contaminated Sites Management Series-Potentially Contaminating Activities, Industries and Landuses, Department of Environment and Conservation, Western Australia.
- Demetriades, A., Androulakakis, N., Kaminari, K., and Vergou, K., 2007, National Inventory of Potential sources of Soil Contamination in Cyprus-Part 1: Compilation of the Inventory of Soil Polluting Activities, 2007 Annual Report NATO/CCMS Pilot Study Meeting, Science for Peace and Security, Ljubljana, Slovenia, http://www.cluin.org/slovenia/download/Other_Topics/ Demetriades.pdf.
- Mesic, H., Major, Z., Vranaricic, M., and Cidic, A., 2007, Croatian Soil Information System within the Environment Information System, In: Hengl et al.(ed.), Status and prospect of soil information in south-eastern Europe: soil databases, projects and applications, Institute for Environment and Sustainability, Italy, p. 43-53.
- Ministry for the Environment, 2004a, Contaminated Land Management guidelines Schedule A: Hazardous Activities and Industries List(HAIL), Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Ministry for the Environment, 2004b, Contaminated Land Management guidelines Schedule B: Hazardous Activities and Industries List(HAIL) with Hazardous Substances, Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- New Jersey DEP, 1999, New Jersey Source Water Assessment Program Plan, New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection.
- ICSS, 2007, Manual for Management and Handling of Contaminated Sites, Intranational Centre for Soil and Contaminated Sites, Berlin, Germany.
- Ohio EPA, 2009, Potential Contaminant Source Inventory Process Manual, rivised september 2009, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
- Swedish EPA, 2002, Method for Inventories of Contaminated Sites, Report 5053, Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Stockholm, Sweden.
- US EPA, 1993, Seminar Publication, Wellhead Protection: A Guide for Small Communities, Office of Research and development, Washington D.C.
- US EPA, 1997, State Source Water Assessment and Protection Programs-Final Guidance, United States Environmental Protection Agency.
- US OTA, 1984, Protecting the Nation's Groundwater from Contamination, Vols. I and II, The Office of Technology Assessment, Washington D.C.