- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Numerical Simulation of Rotor-Fuselage Aerodynamic Interaction Using an Unstructured Overset Mesh Technique
- Lee, Bum-Seok (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Jung, Mun-Seung (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kwon, Oh-Joon (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Hee-Jung (Rotorcraft Department, Rotorcraft Development Division, Korea Aerospace Research Institute)
- Published : 2010.03.01
Numerical simulation of unsteady flows around helicopters was conducted to investigate the aerodynamic interaction of main rotor and other components such as fuselage and tail rotor. For this purpose, a three-dimensional inviscid flow solver has been developed based on unstructured meshes. An overset mesh technique was used to describe the relative motion between the main rotor, and other components. As the application of the present method, calculations were made for the rotor-fuselage aerodynamic interaction of the ROBIN (ROtor Body INteraction) configuration and for a complete UH-60 helicopter configuration consisted of main rotor, fuselage, and tail rotor. Comparison of the computational results was made with measured time-averaged and instantaneous fuselage surface pressure distributions for the ROBIN configuration and thrust distribution and available experimental data for the UH-60 configuration. It is demonstrated that the present method is efficient and robust for the simulation of complete rotorcraft configurations.
Supported by : KARI
- D. N. Marvris, N. M. Kmerath, and H. M.McMahon, “Prediction of Aerodynamic Rotor-Airframe Interactions in Forward Flight”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 37-46, 1989. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.34.37
- P. E. Lorber, and T.A. Egolf, “An Unsteady Helicopter Rotor-Fuselage Aerodynamic Interaction Analysis”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 32-42, 1990. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.35.32
- D. A. Wachspress, T. R. Quackenbush, and A.H. Boschitsch, “Rotorcraft Interactional Aerodynamics with Fast Vortex/Fast Panel Methods”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 48, No. 4, October 2003. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.48.223
- M. S. Chaffin, and J. D . Berry, “Helicopter Fuselage Aerodynamics Under a Rotor by Navier-Stokes Simulation”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp.235-243, 1997. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.42.235
- D. D. Boyd, and R. W. Barnwell, “A Computational Model for Rotor-Fuselage Interactional Aerodynamics”, AIAA Paper 2000-0256, AIAA 38th Aerospace Sciences Meeting & Exhibit, Reno NV, January 10-13, 2000.
- Y. M. Park, H. J. Nam, and O. J. Kwon, “Simulation of Unsteady Rotor-Fuselage Interactions Using Unstructured Adaptive Meshes”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 141-149, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.51.141
- N. S. Hariharan, and L. N. Sankar, “Numerical Simulation of the Fuselage-Rotor Interaction Phenomenon”, AIAA Paper 96-0672, 1996.
- R. Stangl, and S. Wagner, “Euler Simulation of a Helicopter Configuration in Forward Flight using a Chimera Technique”, Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society, pp. 453-462, 1996.
- M. Dindar, A. Z. Lemnios, M. S. Shephard, and J. E. Flaherty, “An Adaptive Solution Procedure for Rotorcraft Aerodynamics”, AIAA Paper 98-2417, 1998.
- H. J. Kang, and O. J. Kwon, “Effect of Wake Adaptation on Rotor Hover Simulations Using Unstructured Meshes”, Journal of the Aircraft, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 868-877, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.2846
- H. J. Kang, and O. J. Kwon, “Unstructured Mesh Navier-Stokes Calculations of the Flowfield of a Helicopter Rotor in Hover”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 90-99, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.47.90
- P. L. Roe, “Approximate Riemann Solvers, Parameter Vectors and Difference”, Journal of Computational Physics, Vol.43, No. 2, pp. 357-372, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90128-5
- M. S. Jung and O. J. Kwon, “A Parallel Unstructured Hybrid Overset Mesh Technique for Unsteady Viscous Flow Simulations”, Presented at the International conference on Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics, ParCFD 2007-024, 2007.
- M. S. Jung and O. J. Kwon, “A Conservative Overset Mesh Scheme via Intergrid Boundary Reconnection on Unstructured Meshes”, AIAA Paper 2009-3536, San Antonio, TX, June 2009.
- K. Nakahashi, F. Togashi, and D. Sharov, “Intergrid-Boundary Definition Method for Overset Unstructured Grid Approach”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 38, No. 11, pp. 2077-2084, 2000. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.869
- E. M. Raymond and S. A. Gorton, "Steady and Periodic Pressure Measurements on a Generic Helicopter Fuselage Model in the Presence of a Rotor", NASA TM 2000-210286, 2000.
- A. R. Kenyon and R. E. Brown., “Wake Dynamics and Rotor Fuselage Aerodynamic Interactions”, Presented at the AHS 63rd Annual Forum, Virginia Beach, May 1-3, 2007.
- W. G. Bousman, “Aerodynamic Characteristics of SC1095 and SC 1094 R8 Airfoils”, NASA/TP-2003-212265, 2003.
- K. B. Hilbert, “A Mathematical Model of the UH-60 Helicopter”, NASA TM 85890, 1984.
- B. E. Wake and J. D. Beader, “Evaluation of a Navier-Stokes Analysis Method for Hover Performance Prediction”, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 7-17, 1996. https://doi.org/10.4050/JAHS.41.7