- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Performance Analysis and Optimal Design of Heat Exchangers Used in High Temperature and High Pressure System
- Kim, Yang-Gu (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Choi, Byoung-Ik (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Kui-Soon (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Jeong, Ji-Hwan (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Published : 2010.03.01
A computational study for the optimal design of heat exchangers (HX) used in a high temperature and high pressure system is presented. Two types of air to air HX are considered in this study. One is a single-pass cross-flow type with straight plain tubes and the other is a two-pass cross-counter flow type with plain U-tubes. These two types of HX have the staggered arrangement of tubes. The design models are formulated using the number of transfer units (
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Jeong, J. H., Kim, L. S., Ha, M. Y., Lee, J. K., Kim, K. S., and Ahn, Y. C., 2007, "Review of Heat Exchanger Studies for High-Efficiency Gas Turbines", ASME Turbo Expo 2007, GT2007-28071.
- McDonald C. F. and Wilson, D. G.., 1996, "The Utilization of Recuperated and Regenerated Engine Cycles for High-Efficiency Gas Turbine Engines in the 21st Century", Applied Thermal Engineering, 16, pp. 635-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/1359-4311(95)00078-X
- Yakinthos, K., Missirlis, D., Palikaras, A., Storm, P., Simon, B., and Goulas, A., 2007, "Optimization of the Design of Recuperative Heat Exchangers in the Exhaust Nozzle of an Aero Engine", Applied Mathematical Modeling, 31, pp. 2524-2541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2006.10.008
- Schoenenborn, H., Elbert, E., Simon, B. and Storm, P., 2006, "Thermomechanical Design of a Heat exchanger for a Recuperative Aeroengine", International J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 128, 736-744. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1850510
- Kasagi, N., Suzuki, Y., Shakzono N. and Oku, T., 2003, "Optimal Design and Assessment of High Performance Micro Bare-Tube Heat Exchangers", 4th Int. Conf. on Compact Heat Exchangers and Enhancement Technologies for the Process Industries, pp. 241-246.
- Boggia, S., Rud, K., 2005, "Intercooled Recuperated Gas Turbine Engine Concept", AIAA 2005-4192.
- Hausen, H., Darstellung des Warmeuberganges in Rohren durch verallgemeinerte Potenzbeziehungen, Z. Ver. Dtsch. Ing., Beiheft Verfahrenstech., No. 4, pp. 91-134, 1943.
- Filonenko, G. K., Hydraulic Resistance in Pipes, Teploenergetika, vol. 1, pp. 40-44
- Zukauskas, A. A., Makarevivius, V. J., and Slanciauskas, A. A., "Heat Transfer in Banks of Tubes in Crossflow of Fluid", Thermophysics 1, pp. 47-68, Mintis, Vilnius, 1968.
- Kays, W. M., 1950, "Loss Coefficients for Abrupt Changes in Flow Cross Section with Low Reynolds Number Flow in Single and Multiple Tube System", Trans. ASME, vol. 72, pp. 1067-1074, 1950.
- Moshfeghian, M and Bell, K. J., 1979. "Local heat transfer measurements in and downstream from a U-bend", ASME paper No. 79-HT-82.
- Ito, H., 1960, "Pressure losses in smooth bends", Journal of Basic Engineering., 82, 131. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3662501
- Jaluria, Y., 2008, Design and Optimization of Thermal Systems, CRC Press, pp.444-445.
- The effects of the evaluation method on the average heat transfer coefficient for a mini-channel tube bundle vol.54, pp.25-26, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.07.043