- Volume 11 Issue 1
The present paper studies the thermally-induced vibration phenomenon of the flexible space boom structure. In order to simulate the thermally-induced vibration phenomenon of the flexible thin boom structure of the spacecraft with the attached tip mass in space, the thermally-induced vibration including thermal flutter is experimentally investigated at various thermal environments using a heating lamp in vacuum chamber. In this experimental study, fluctuating characteristics, natural frequency and thermal strains of the thermally-induced vibration are parametrically investigated at various thermal environment conditions. Finally the thermally-induced vibration of the flexible boom structure of the orbiting earth satellite in solar radiation environment from the earth eclipse region including umbra and penumbra is simulated using the power control of the heating lamp in the vacuum chamber.
Vacuum chamber;Thermally-induced vibration;Natural frequency
- Richard S. Foster, “Thermally Induced Vibrations of Spacecraft booms”, Ph.D.Thesis, Virginia University, U.S.A, 1998.
- John Johnston, "Thermally-Induced Dynamics of Spacecraft Structures", NASA GSFC Sep. 2, 1999.
- Thornton, E. A. and Paul, D. B., “Thermal-Structural Analysis of Large Space Structures: An Assessment of Recent Advances”, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 22, No 4,1985, pp. 385-393. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.25761
- Kraus, H. P., “Thermally Induced Vibration of Thin Nonshallow Spherical Shell ”, AIAA Journal, Vol. 4, 1966.
- Y. K. Jang and D. H. Lee, “Design Engineering of Spacecraft System”, Kyungmoon Publishing Co., 1999.
- I. S. Yoon, "Study on Thermal Stability of Space Craft flexible Structure", Ph. D. Thesis, Chungnam University, 2002.
- S. Sumi et al., “Thermally-Induced Bending Vibration of Thin-Walled Boom with Tip Mass - Analysis for the Experiments under Laboratory Conditions” Tech. Report of Kyushu Univ.,Vol. 63, No.1, 1990.
- C. D. Kong, K. W. Oh and Y. Sugiyama, “A Study on Thermally-Induced Vibration of Flexible Space Structures”, KSAS, Vol. 31, No. 9, 2003.
- ALGOR Tutorials, Samwon Millennia, 2005.
- Thermally induced vibrations of flexible beams using Absolute Nodal Coordinate Formulation vol.29, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5139/IJASS.2010.11.1.026