- Volume 15 Issue 2
In this study, the response surface method and experimental design were applied as an alternative to conventional methods for the optimization of coagulation tests. A central composite design, with 4 axial points, 4 factorial points and 5 replicates at the center point were used to build a model for predicting and optimizing the coagulation process. Mathematical model equations were derived by computer simulation programming with a least squares method using the Minitab 15 software. In these equations, the removal efficiencies of turbidity and total organic carbon (TOC) were expressed as second-order functions of two factors, such as alum dose and coagulation pH. Statistical checks (ANOVA table,
Coagulation tests;Drinking water treatment;Experimental design;Optimizing coagulation;Response surface methodology
- Clearsby JL, Dharmarajah AH, Sindt GL, Baumann ER. Design and operation guidelines for optimization of the high-rate filtration process: plant survey results. Denver, CO: AWWA Research Foundation; 1989.
- Pernitsky DJ. Coagulation 101. Alberta Water and Wastewater Operators Association (AWWOA) Annual Seminar; 2004; Alberta, Canada.
- Mason RL, Gunst RF, Hess JL. Statistical design and analysis of experiments with applications to engineering and science. 2nd ed. New York: John Wiley and Sons; 2003.
- Khuri AI, Cornell JA. Responses surfaces: design and analyses. 2nd ed. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1996.
- Khuri AI. An overview of the use of generalized linear models in response surface methodology. Nonlinear Anal. 2001;47:2023-2034. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0362-546X(01)00330-3
- Clesceri LS, Greenberg AE, Eaton AD. Standard methods for the examination of water and waste water. 20th ed. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Environmental Federation; 1998.
- Montgomery DC. Design and analysis of experiments. 5th ed. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2001. p. 427-510.
- Box GEP, Hunter JS. Multi-factor experimental designs for exploring response surfaces. Ann. Math. Statist. 1957;28:195-241. https://doi.org/10.1214/aoms/1177707047
- NIST/SEMATECH e-handbook of statistical method [Inter net]. Available from: http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook.
- Haber A, Runyun RP. General statistics. 3rd ed. Reading, MA: Addision-Wesley; 1977.
- Faust SD, Aly OM. Removal of particulate matter by coagulation. In: Faust SD, Aly OM, eds. Chemistry of water treatment, 2nd ed. Florida: CRC Press; 1998. p. 217-270.
- Kim SH. Enhanced coagulation: determination of controlling criteria and an effect on turbidity removal. Environ. Eng. Res. 2005;10:105-111. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2005.10.3.105
- Analysis of Siloxane Adsorption Characteristics Using Response Surface Methodology vol.17, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2012.17.2.117
- Optimisation of beef tenderisation treated with bromelain using response surface methodology (RSM) vol.04, pp.05, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4236/as.2013.45B013
- Optimization of Ultrasonic Extraction of Phenolic Antioxidants from Green Tea Using Response Surface Methodology vol.18, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules181113530
- UV-Initiated Polymerization of Cationic Polyacrylamide: Synthesis, Characterization, and Sludge Dewatering Performance vol.2013, pp.1537-744X, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1155/2013/937937
- Response surface methodology approach to optimize coagulation-flocculation process using composite coagulants vol.30, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-012-0169-y
- Effects of carrageenan and jackfruit puree on the texture of goat's milk Dadih using response surface methodology vol.66, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0307.12053
- Statistical Design for Formulation Optimization of Hydrocortisone Butyrate-Loaded PLGA Nanoparticles vol.15, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-014-0072-4
- Arsenic Removal from Natural Groundwater by Electrocoagulation Using Response Surface Methodology vol.2014, pp.2090-9071, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/857625
- Arsenic Removal from Water by Sugarcane Bagasse: An Application of Response Surface Methodology (RSM) vol.225, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-014-2028-4
- Employing Response Surface Methodology for the Optimization of Ultrasound Assisted Extraction of Lutein and β-Carotene from Spinach vol.20, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20046611
- Preparation, characterization and kinetic behavior of supported copper oxide catalysts on almond shell-based activated carbon for oxidation of toluene in air vol.22, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10934-014-9877-5
- Simultaneous extraction, optimization, and analysis of flavonoids and polyphenols from peach and pumpkin extracts using a TLC-densitometric method vol.9, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13065-015-0113-4
- Optimization of high hardness perforated steel armor plates using finite element and response surface methods vol.24, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/15376494.2016.1196771
- and Alginate Using the Box–Behnken Response Surface Methodology vol.56, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.6b04765
- Species-specific interaction of trihalomethane (THM) precursors in a scaled-up distribution network using response surface methodology (RSM) vol.39, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2017.1301564
- Extraction Optimization of Polyphenols from Waste Kiwi Fruit Seeds (Actinidia chinensis Planch.) and Evaluation of Its Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Properties vol.21, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules21070832
- Experimental investigation of design parameters for laboratory scale Pelton wheel turbine using RSM vol.204, pp.2261-236X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201820407019
- Preparation and Characterization of Polyacrylonitrile/Aluminum Oxide Nanofiber Adsorbent Modified with 2-Amino-3-Methyl-1-Hexanethiol for the Adsorption of Thorium (IV) Ion from Aqueous Solution vol.144, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EE.1943-7870.0001446
- ) kernel coagulant pp.1563-5201, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00986445.2018.1483351
- Optimization of Photooxidative Removal of Phenazopyridine from Water vol.92, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0036024418050266
Supported by : Pukyong National University