- Volume 34 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Explosion Prevention for LPG Storage Tanks
폭발방지를 고려한 LPG 저장탱크 최적설계
- Leem, Sa-Hwan (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Univ. of Technology and Education) ;
- Huh, Yong-Jeong (School of Mechatronics Engineering, Korea Univ. of Technology and Education) ;
- Son, Seok-Woo (School of Mechatronics Engineering, Korea Univ. of Technology and Education) ;
- Lim, Jae-Ki (School of Mechatronics Engineering, Korea Univ. of Technology and Education) ;
- Lee, Jong-Rark (Institute of Gas Technology Training, Korea Gas Safety Corporation)
- 임사환 (한국기술교육대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 허용정 (한국기술교육대학교 메카트로닉스공학부) ;
- 손석우 (한국기술교육대학교 메카트로닉스공학부) ;
- 임재기 (한국기술교육대학교 메카트로닉스공학부) ;
- 이종락 (한국가스안전공사 가스안전교육원)
- Received : 2010.04.13
- Accepted : 2010.06.07
- Published : 2010.07.01
Used gas to the vehicle fuel are the problems of the 'survival' beyond the 'quality of life' improvements and revive a new paradigm of 'sustainable development' which pursues economic development in harmony with environmental conservation. However, the fatalities caused by explosions and fires increases every year with the increase in the use of LPG; gas accidents in large-scale storage facilities also cause severe damage to property. In this study, a suitable storage tank is designed in which the surface area of the fuel exposed to flames is minimized in order to prevent explosions; thus, the occurrences of explosions in underground storage tanks can be minimized. According to the optimum design of storage tank obtained in this study, underground containment space was minimized; the minimized diameter and length of a 20-ton storage tank was 3 m and 4.83 m, respectively. Thus, safety was ensured since surface area exposed to flames decreased by 89.4%, which is less than the exposed surface area in the currently used storage tanks.
Optimization;Storage Tank;Gas Explosion
Supported by : 한국기술교육대학교
- AEGPL, 1999, AEGPL Strategy Paper - LPGHeavy Duty Vehicles, p. 3.
- KEITI, 2009, Trade & Environment Information Network, Vol. 60, pp. 5-7.
- OECD, 1996, Integrating Environment and Economy, Progress in the 1990s.
- So-Young Park, 2009, "German Gas Market Trends- LPG Gas Increasing Popularity of AlternativeFuels," The Gas Safety Journal, Vol. 35, March,pp. 77-80.
- Korea Gas Safety Corporation, 2009, TechnicalInspection & Advisory Service Division, "HighpressureGas Statistics," Korea.
- Korea Statistical Information System Consumptiondata of Energy source http://kosis.nso.go.kr
- In-Tae Kim, In-Won Kim, Hee-Oeul Song, 2000,"A Study on the Overpressure Estination ofBLEVE," Journal of the Korean Institute of Gas,Vol. 4, No. 1, March, pp. 69-76.
- Seung-Lim Lee and Young-Soon Lee, 2003, "AStudy on the Probability of BLEVE ofAbove-ground LP Gas Storage Tanks Exposed toExternal Fire," Journal of the Korean Institute ofGas, Vol. 7, No. 1, March, pp. 19-23.
- Korea Gas Safety Corporation, 2003, GasExplosion Accident Related General Report : LPGFilling Station of Daesung Energy Company inBUCHEON, Korea.
- Korea Gas Safety Corporation, 1998, Accidentand Countermeasure Report for LPG Filling Stationof IKSAN and BUCHEON, Korea.
- Sam-Kew Roh, Tae-Hwan Kim and Eun-GuHam, 1999, "A Study on Damage Effect fromBoiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion(BLEVE)of LPG Charging Facility," Journal of the KoreanInstitute of Gas, Vol. 3, No. 3, December, pp.45-50.
- Sung-Jin Bae and Byung-Jick Kim, 1999, "TheStudy on the Quantitative Analysis in LPG Tank'sFire and Explosion," Journal of the Korean Instituteof Gas, Vol. 3, No. 1, April, pp. 21-26.
- Su-Kyung Lee and Chang-Wook Lee, 1999,"Consequence Analysis of the Fire & Explosion onthe Flammable Liquid Handing Facility and LPGStation," Journal of the Korean Institute of Gas,Vol. 3, No. 2, July, pp. 77-84.
- Young-Do Jo, 1999, "A Study on the MinimumSafe Separation Distance from LPG Filling Station,"Journal of the Korean Institute of Gas, Vol. 3, No.2, July, pp. 24-33.
- Myung-Seop Park, Jae-Min Seo, Jung-Woo Lee,Ky-Soo Kim, Sung-Bin Kim, Jae-Wook Ko andDong-Il Shin, 1999, "A Study for Risk Assessmentof LPG Storage Facilities," Journal of the KoreanInstitute of Gas, Vol. 3, No. 3, December, pp.9-16.
- Jin Han Lee, Kwang Soo Yu, Kyo Shik Park,2006, "Availability Analysis of Safety DevicesInstalled for Preventing Accidental Events in theLPG Refueling Station," Journal of the KoreanInstitute of Gas, Vol. 10, No. 1, March, pp. 26-31.
- Seung-Lim Lee, 2001, "A Syudy on theProbability of BLEVE of Aboveground LP GasStorage Tanks Exposed to External Fire," SeoulNational University of Technology, Thesis forMaster's Degree, Seoul Korea.
- Sa-Hwan Leem, Jong-Rark Lee and Yong-JeongHuh, 2008, "A Study on the Shock Wave Causedby VCE in Enclosure," Trans. of the KSME(B),Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 1-6. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2008.32.1.001
- Sa-Hwan Leem, Jong-Rark Lee and Yong-JeongHuh, 2008, "A Study on Estimation of HumanDamage for Shock Wave by Vapor CloudExplosion using Probit Model," Trans. of theKSME(B), Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 936-941. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2007.31.11.936
- Korea Gas Safety Corporation, 2009, "LiquefiedPetroleum Gas Safety Control and Business Law,"Namo communication, Seoul Korea.
- Sang-Hwa Jin, Tae-Woo Kim, In-Tae Kim,In-Won Kim and Yeong-Koo Yeo, 2001, “A Studyon Reliability Analysis and Quantitative RiskAnalysis for Liquefied Petroleum Gas Station,"Journal of the Korean Institute of Gas, Vol. 5, No.4, December, pp. 40-48.
- Leem, S. H. and Huh, Y. J., 2006, "ADevelopment of Intelligent Decision System bySafety Distance of Gas Storage Tank," Journal ofthe Korea Academic Industrial Society, Vol. 7, No.4, pp. 721-726.
- Sa-Hwan Leem, Yong-Jeong Huh andJong-Rark Lee, 2008, "A Study on the Possibilityof BLEVE and UVCE for LPG Storage Tank ofUnderground Containment Type," 2008 Proceedingsof The KASI Spring Conference, Vol. 9, No. 1,pp. 313-315.
- Sa-Hwan Leem and Yong-Jeong Huh, 2010, "AStudy on the Quantitative Analysis and Estimationfor Surround Building Caused by Vapor CloudExplosion(VCE) in LPG Filling Station," KOSOS,Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 44-49.
- Sa-Hwan Leem and Yong-Jeong Huh, 2010,"Improvement for Installation Technology of LPGStorage Tank Using TRIZ," Proceedings of GlobalTRIZ Conference 2010.
- CCPS, 1994, "Guidelines for Evaluating theCharacteristics of Vapor Cloud Explosion, FlashFire and BLEVE," AIChE, New York.
- Reid, R. C., 1980, "Some Theories on BoilingLiquid Expanding Vapor Explosions," Fire, March,pp. 525-526.
- Bisk, A. M. and Cunningham, M. H., 1994, "TheBoiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion," J. LossPrev. Process Ind., Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 474-480. https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-4230(94)80005-7