- Volume 34 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Design and Performance Evaluation of Integrated Exhaust Manifold
일체형 배기다기관 설계 및 성능 평가
- Oh, Jin-Ho (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Ryu, Jeong-Soo (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hyun (POSCO Technology Research Institute) ;
- Choi, Han-Ho (POSCO Technology Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.01.05
- Accepted : 2010.05.10
- Published : 2010.07.01
Exhaust manifolds are the first structures to be developed by hydroforming; mass production of exhaust manifolds by this method will be possible soon. This is obviously related with tight emission regulation induced by environmental problems commonly for both domestic and worldwide and standards, thus evoking its solution for domestic automakers. Compared to conventional cast products, thin-gauge tubular hydroformed exhaust manifold have superior features; for example, in the hydroformed exhaust manifold, gas decomposition during the cold-start period of the engine is reduced by lowering the heat sink, and manufacturing process is simplified since less welding is involved. The aim of this study is to develop a hydroformed exhaust manifold; the study deals with the components, the hydroforming process, and tool design of the manifolds. The performance of the exhaust system is evaluated by performing flow analysis, heat-transfer analysis, heat-stress analysis, and fatigue analysis by using a computer.
Exhaust Manifold;Hydroforming;Finite Element Method;Flow analysis;Heat stress;Fatigue analysis
- Seo, T. W., 2007, "thermal fatigue life prediction ofengine exhaust manifold," KSAE, Vol. 15, pp.139-145.
- Kim, B. G. and Lee, E. H., 2007, "ThermalDeformation Analysis of Exhaust Manifold for TurboDiesel Engine," KSAE, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 338-343. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.3.338
- Lee, G. D., Ha, T. K. and Jung, J. Y., 2009,"Characterization of High Temperature MechanicalProperties of Cast Stainless Steels for ExhaustManifold," KSTP, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 217-222. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2009.18.3.217
- Julie A. Bannantine, Jess J. Comer and James L.Handrock, 1990, "Fundamentals of Metal FatigueAnalysis," Prentice Hall.
- Ganesh Sundara Raman S. and Radhakrishnan V. M.,2002, "On cyclic stress-strain behavior and low cyclefatigue life," Materials and Design, Vol. 23, pp.249-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-3069(01)00083-8
- S Ganesh Sundara Raman and Padmanabhan, K. A.,1995, "A comparison of the room-temperaturebehavior of AISI 304LN stainless steel and Nimonic90 under strain cycling," Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 17, No. 4,pp. 271-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(95)93539-E
- Vareda, L. V. and Spinelli D., 2001, "Fatigue,monotonic and fracture toughness properties of a Cr-Mn-N steel," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 23,pp. 857-863. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(01)00060-3