- Volume 34 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Thermal Fatigue Life of Engine Exhaust Manifold under Thermo-mechanical Cyclic Loading
열적-기계적 반복하중을 받고 있는 엔진 배기매니폴드의 열피로 수명예측
- Choi, Bok-Lok (School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Gangnung-Wonju Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Chang, Hoon (Department of Powertrain Analysis, Hyundai Motor Company)
- Received : 2009.09.01
- Accepted : 2010.05.04
- Published : 2010.07.01
In this study, we performed structural and fatigue analyses of the engine exhaust manifold that was subjected to thermo-mechanical cyclic loading. The methodologies used in this study are based on an approach in which the techniques for modeling the exhaust system, the temperature-dependent properties of the material, and thermal cyclic loading are taken into consideration and a reliable strategy is adopted for failure prediction. An application example shows that at an elevated temperature, considerable compressive plastic deformation is observed and that at a low temperature, tensile stresses remain in those parts of the test exhaust manifold where failure is observed. In order to predict fatigue life, mechanical damage is determined on the basis of the stress.strain hysteresis loops by using the classical Coffin.Manson equation and by adopting a method in which the dissipated plastic energy is taken into consideration.
Exhaust Manifold;Thermal Shock Test;Plastic Strain Range;Plastic Work;Thermal Fatigue Life
- Guy, L., Eric, C., Laetitia, V. and Andrei, C.,2000, "Numerical Lifetime Assessment of EngineParts Submitted to Thermomechanical Fatigue,Application to Exhaust Manifold Design," SAETechnical Paper Series, 2000-01-0789.
- Thomas, J. J., Verger, L., Bignonnet, A. andCharkaluk, E., 2004, "Thermomechanical Designin the Automotive Industry," Fatigue FractureEngineering Material Structure, Vol. 27, pp.887-895. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2695.2004.00746.x
- Choi, B. L., Chang, H. and Park, K. H., 2004,"Low Cycle Thermal Fatigue of Engine ExhaustManifold," Int. J. of Automotive Technology, Vol.5, No. 4, pp. 297-302.
- Cesar, A. D., Waldek, W. B. and Dirceu, S.,2001, "Thermomechanical Fatigue : TestingMethods and Appilication," SAE Technical PaperSeries, 2001-01-4068.
- Datta, P. and Liddy, R., 2002, "CorrelationStudy of Exhaust Manifold - Lab Test Results vsCustomer Fleet Results," SAE Technical PaperSeries, 2002-01-1317.
- Amible, S., Cahpuliot, S., Constantinescu, A.and Fissole, A., 2009, "A Computational LifetimePrediction of a Thermal Shock Experiment. Part1 : Thermomechanical Modelling and LifetimePrediction," Fatigue Fracture Engineering MaterialStructure, Vol. 29, pp. 209-217.
- Charkaluk, E., Bognonnet, A., Constantinescu,A. and DangVan, K., 2002, "Fatigue Design ofStructure under Thermomechanical Loading," Fat.Frac. Eng. Material Structure 25, pp. 1199-1206. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2695.2002.00612.x
- Yoshimasa, W., Kazuhiko, S., Shogo I. andKaxuaki N., 1998, "Thermal Fatigue LifePrediction for Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold,"SAE Technical Paper Series, 980841.
- Mamiya, N., Masuda, T. and Noda, Y., 2002,"Thermal Fatigue Life of Exhaust ManifoldsPredicted by Simulation," SAE Technical PaperSeries, 2002-01-0954.
- Hwang, J. K., Suh, C. M. and Kim, C. H.,2006, "Thermal Fatigue Test of an AnnularStructure," KSME Int. J., Vol. 20., No. 1, pp.59-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02916200
- ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual, Vol III :Materials.
- Gocmez, T. and Deuster, U., 2009, "AnIntegral Engineering Solution for Design ofExhaust Manifolds," SAE Technical Paper Series,2009-01-1229.
- Manson, S. S., 1996, Thermal Stress andLow-Cycle Fatigue, McGraw-Hill, New York, pp.245-274.
- A Study on the Numerical Analysis of Thermal Fatigue According to the Design Variables of Vacuum Insulated Pipe vol.22, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9726/kspse.2018.22.4.011