- Volume 29 Issue 1
This experiment was conducted to investigate the growth inhibition effects caused by continuous cropping soil in peony(Paeonia lactiflora Pallas). The effect of extracts from continuous cropping soil of peony was tested with bio-assay method using callus cells induced from peony filament tissues and seedlings derived from peony zygotic embryos. The cell viability and seedling growth were significantly inhibited by methanol extract in continuous cropping soil. Methanol extract from continuous cropping soil was successively fractionated with solvents such as n-hexane, ethyl acetate, n-butanol and water. The seedling growth was inhibited by ethyl acetate fraction obtained in methanol extract.
Cell viability;Continuous cropping;Paeonia lactiflora;Seedling;Soil extract
- Banyer, H.J., 1966. Cereal root diseases and their control. Part III Agric. South. Aust., 415-417.
- Blakley, E.R., 1966. Gas chromatography of phenolic acid, Anal. Biochem. 15, 350-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(66)90042-X
- Choo, Y.D., Kim J.C., Whang W.B., Park S.D., 1995. Effect of intercropping system on the population on nematodes, Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 3(2), 116-119.
- Chung, J.D., Harn, J.S., Sohn, J.K., 1995. Somatic embryogenesis from filament-derived callus of Paeonia lactiflora Pall., Korean J. Plant Tissue Culture 22(1), 47-51.
- Datta, S.C., Sinha-Roy, S.P., 1974. Allelopathy and inhibitors, Sci. and Cul. 40, 47-59.
- Dhillon, M.S., Mulla, M.S., Hwang, Y.S., 1982. Allelo-chemics produced by the hydrophate myriophyllum spicatum affecting mosquitoes and midges, J. Chem. 8, 517-528.
- Evans, G., Cartwright, J.B., White, N.H., 1967. The production of a phytotoxin, nectrolide, by some root-surface isolates of Cylindrocarpon radicicola, Wr., Plant and Soil 26(2), 253-260. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01880175
- Gries, G.A., 1943. The effect of plant decomposition products on root diseases, Phytophath. 33, 1111-1112.
- Griebel, G.E., Owens L.D., 1972. Nature of the transient activation of soil microorganisms by ethanol or acetaldehyde, Soil Biol. Biochem. 4, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-0717(72)90036-3
- Gulzar, A.D., Farrukh. H., 1979. Allelopathic effects of dichanthium annulatum (FORSK) stapf on some cultivated plants, Pakistan J. Sci. Ind. Res. 22, 194-197.
- Lee, J.C., Kim, H.J., Oh, S.H., 1989. Review of studies on ginseng replanting problems, Korean J. Crop Sci. 34(2), 115-120.
- Lee, S.K., Suh, J.S., Kim, Y.S., Park, J.K., 1987. Studies on phytotoxin in intensively cultivated upland crops, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 20(1), 63-67.
- Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, 2008. Guide book of industrial crop production, pp. 18-311.
- Murashige and Skoog, 1962. A revised media for rapid growth and bioassays with tabacoo tissue culture, Physiol Plant 15, 473-497. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1962.tb08052.x
- Park, K.M., Lee, M.K., Hwang, S.J., Kim, H.Y., Lee, I.J., Shin, D.H., Kim, K.U., 1999. Effect of water and ethanol extracts from various plants on the germination and growth of lettuce seeds, Agric. Res. Bull. Kyungpook Natl. Univ. 17, 1-6.
- Park, S.D., Kim, K.J., You, O.J., Kim, S.J., Kim, J.C., Shin, J.H., 1996. Incidence of major diseases on Paeonia lactiflorea Pallas, Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 4(3), 236-240.
- Ray, M., Walter, H., 1976. The extraction of soil phytotoxins using a natural EDTA solution, Soil Sci. 124(4), 205-210.
- Towill, L.E., Masur, P., 1975. Studies on reduction of 2,3,5-TTC as a viability assay for plant tissue, Can. J. Bot. 53, 1097-1102. https://doi.org/10.1139/b75-129