- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Experimental Framework for Controller Design of a Rotorcraft Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Using Multi-Camera System
- Oh, Hyon-Dong ;
- Won, Dae-Yeon ;
- Huh, Sung-Sik ;
- Shim, David Hyun-Chul ;
- Tahk, Min-Jea
- Published : 2010.06.15
This paper describes the experimental framework for the control system design and validation of a rotorcraft unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). Our approach follows the general procedure of nonlinear modeling, linear controller design, nonlinear simulation and flight test but uses an indoor-installed multi-camera system, which can provide full 6-degree of freedom (DOF) navigation information with high accuracy, to overcome the limitation of an outdoor flight experiment. In addition, a 3-DOF flying mill is used for the performance validation of the attitude control, which considers the characteristics of the multi-rotor type rotorcraft UAV. Our framework is applied to the design and mathematical modeling of the control system for a quad-rotor UAV, which was selected as the test-bed vehicle, and the controller design using the classical proportional-integral-derivative control method is explained. The experimental results showed that the proposed approach can be viewed as a successful tool in developing the controller of new rotorcraft UAVs with reduced cost and time.
Experimental framework;Multi-camera system;Rotorcraft unmanned aerial vehicle;Three-degree of freedom flying mill
- Alexander, H. L. (1991). State estimation for distributed systems with sensing delay. Data Structures and Target Classification, Orlando, FL. pp. 103-111.
- Bouabdallah, S., Murrieri, P., and Siegwart, R. (2004). Design and control of an Indoor micro quadrotor. Proceedings-2004 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, New Orleans, LA. pp. 4393-4398. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.2004.1302409
- Bouabdallah, S. and Siegwart, R. (2005). Backstepping and sliding-mode techniques applied to an indoor micro Quadrotor. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Barcelona, Spain. pp. 2247-2252.
- Escareno, J., Sanchez, A., Garcia, O., and Lozano, R. (2008). Triple tilting rotor mini-UAV: Modeling and embedded control of the attitude. American Control Conference, Seattle, WA. pp. 3476-3481.
- Fowers, S. G., Lee, D. J., Tippetts, B. J., Lillywhite, K. D., Dennis, A. W., and Archibald, J. K. (2007). Vision aided stabilization and the development of a quad-rotor micro UAV. IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation, Jacksonville, FL. pp. 143-148. https://doi.org/10.1109/CIRA.2007.382886
- Franklin, G. F., Powell, J. D., and Emami-Naeini, A. (2002). Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems. 4th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Hoffmann, G. M., Huang, H., Waslander, S. L., and Tomlin, C. J. (2007). Quadrotor helicopter flight dynamics and control: theory and experiment. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Hilton Head, SC. pp. 1670-1689.
- Johnson, E. N. and Schrage, D. P. (2003). The Georgia Tech unmanned aerial research vehicle: GTMaxv. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Austin, TX. pp. AIAA Paper 2003-5741.
- Johnson, E. N. and Turbe, M. A. (2005). Model, control, and flight testing of a small ducted fan aircraft. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, San Francisco, CA. pp. AIAA Paper 2005-6281.
- Larsen, T. D., Andersen, N. A., Ravn, O., and Poulsen, N. K. (1998). Incorporation of time delayed measurements in a discrete-time Kalman filter. 37th Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Tampa, FL. pp. 3972-3977. https://doi.org/10.1109/CDC.1998.761918
- Oh, H. (2010). Vision-Based Navigation for an Indoor UAV Using Multi-Camera System. MS Thesis, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
- Oh, H., Won, D., Huh, S., Park, B., Shim, D. H., and Tahk, M. (2009). Indoor UAV pose estimation from multicamera system using EKF. 2nd International Symposium on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Reno, NV.
- Romero, H., Salazar, S., Sanchez, A., and Lozano, R. (2007). A new UAV configuration having eight rotors: dynamical model and real-time control. 46th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, New Orleans, LA. pp. 6418-6423. https://doi.org/10.1109/CDC.2007.4434776
- Shim, D. H., Kim, H. J., and Sastry, S. (2000). Hierarchical control system synthesis for rotorcraft-based unmanned aerial vehicles. AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Denver, CO.
- Stevens, B. L. and Lewis, F. L. (1992). Aircraft Control and Simulation. New York: Wiley.
- Sun, D. and Crassidis, J. L. (2002). Observability analysis of six-degree-of-freedom configuration determination using vector observations. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 25, 1149-1157. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.4995
- Thomopoulos, S. C. A. and Zhang, L. (1994). Decentralized filtering with random sampling and delay. Information Sciences, 81, 117-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-0255(94)90093-0
- Valenti, M., Bethke, B., Dale, D., Frank, A., McGrew, J., Ahrens, S., How, J. P., and Vian, J. (2007). The MIT indoor multi-vehicle flight testbed. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Rome, Italy. pp. 2758-2759. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.2007.363882
- Yoshihata, Y., Watanabe, K., Iwatani, Y., and Hashimoto, K. (2007). Multi-camera visual servoing of a micro helicopter under occlusions. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, San Diego, CA. pp. 2615-2620. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2007.4399025
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development, Unmanned Technology Research Center (UTRC), Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology