- Volume 11 Issue 2
We propose guidance laws based on a pursuit-evasion game. The game solutions are obtained from a pursuit-evasion game solver developed by the authors. We introduce a direct method to solve planar pursuit-evasion games with control variable constraints in which the game solution is sought by iteration of the update and correction steps. The initial value of the game solution is used for guidance of the evader and the pursuer, and then the pursuit-evasion game is solved again at the next time step. In this respect, the proposed guidance laws are similar to the approach of model predictive control. The proposed guidance method is compared to proportional navigation guidance for a pursuit-evasion scenario in which the evader always tries to maximize the capture time. The capture sets of the two guidance methods are demonstrated.
Pursuit-evasion game;Differential game;Direct method
- Breitner, M. H., Pesch, H. J., and Grimm, W. (1993). Complex differential games of pursuit-evasion type with state constraints, part 1: Necessary conditions for optimal open-loop strategies. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 78, 419-441. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00939876
- Guelman, M., Shinar, J., and Green, A. (1988). Qualitative study of a planar pursuit-evasion game in atmosphere. Proceedings of the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Minneapolis, MI. AIAA Paper 88-4158.
- Hargraves, C. R. and Paris, S. W. (1987). Direct trajectory optimization using nonlinear programming and collocation. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, l0, 338-342. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20223
- Isaacs, R. (1967). Differential Games: A Mathematical Theory with Applications to Warfare and Pursuit, Control and Optimization. 2 printing ed. New York, NY: Wiley.
- Kim, Y. S., Tahk, M. J., and Ryu, H. (2006). A guidance law based on pursuit-evasion game solutions. KSAS-JSASS Joint International Symposium on Aerospace Engineering, Busan, Korea.
- Tahk, M. J., Ryu, H., and Kim, J. G. (1998a). An iterative numerical method for class of quantitative pursuit-evasion games. Proceeding of AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, Boston, MA. pp. 175-182.
- Tahk, M. J., Ryu, H., Kim, J. G., and Rhee, I. S. (1998b). A gradient-based direct method for complex pursuit-evasion games. Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Dynamic Games, Vaals, Netherlands. pp. 579-582.