- Volume 23 Issue 1
Korea experienced a financial crisis in 1997. Since then Korea economy has undergone severe change such as exchange rate regime from the market average exchange rate system to the free floating exchange rate system in 1997, and the currency rate fluctuation has been widening. We empirically analyze the determination of the Won/Dollar exchange rate based on the monetary approach. We employ Lucas (1982), Bilson (1978) and Frankel (1979) models and consider some mixed models. We make use of monthly data of money supply, income, interest rate, capital balance, terms of trade, and the yen/dollar exchange rate over the period 1990-2009. We compare the empirical results of cointegration tests and the vector error correction model(VECM) from the two regimes, the pre and post korean financial crisis. The won/dollar exchange rate has long-run relationship with the variables in the monetarist models in the two regimes. For the post crisis regime, the Bilson model is the best and the long run variables also affect the short run dynamics of the won/dollar exchange rate.
Exchange rate;determination model;monetary approach;Financial crisis;vector error correction model
- 김윤영 (2007). 외환위기 전후 원달러 환율의 변동요인 비교분석, <금융경제연구>, 한국은행.
- 김진용, 권성택 (2003). 원화환율의 장단기 변동요인 분석, <조사통계월보>, 2, 24-55.
- 김창범, 모수원 (2000). 공적분과 오차수정모형을 이용한 환율의 결정과 예측, <산업경제 연구>, 13, 479-489.
- 신관호, 이종화 (2004). 원화환율의 변동성 추이에 관한 연구, <계량경제학보>, 15, 93-128.
- 이현재 (1997). 원화의 대미 환율결정에 관한 실증분석: 공적분검정법에 의한 접근, <국제경제연구>, 3, 129-151.
- 정성창, 정석영 (2002). 구조적 변화를 고려한 주가지수와 거시경제변수와의 장기 균형관계, <재무연구>, 15, 205-235.
정철호 (2004). 선물환 환율을 이용한 원/달러 환율 예측: VECM기법을 중심으로,
, 4, 174-190.
- Bilson, J. F. O. (1978). The current experience with floating exchange rates: An appraisal of the motnetary approach, American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 68, 392-297.
- Chinn, M. D. and Meese, R. A. (1995). Banking on currency forecasts: How predictable is change in money?, Journal of International Economics, 38, 161-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1996(94)01334-O
- Dornbush, R. (1976). Expectations and exchange rate dynamics, Journal of Political Economy, 84, 1161-1176. https://doi.org/10.1086/260506
- Engle, R. F. and Granger, C. W. J. (1987). Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing, Econometrica, 55, 251-276. https://doi.org/10.2307/1913236
- Frankel, J. A. (1979). On the mark: A theory of floating exchange rates and based on real interest differentials, American Economic Review, 69, 610-622.
- Granger, C. W. J. and Newbold, P. (1974). Spurious regression in econometrics, Journal of Econometrics, 2, 111-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4076(74)90034-7
- Johansen, S. (1988). Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 12, 231-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1889(88)90041-3
- Lucas, R. (1982). Interest rates and currency prices in a two-country world, Journal of Monetary Economics, 10, 335-359. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3932(82)90032-0
- MacDonald, R. and Taylor, M. P. (1992). The monetary approach to the exchange rate: Rational expectations, long-run equilibrium and forecasting, IMF Staff Papers, 40, 89-107.
- Meese, R. and Rogoff, K. (1983). Empirical exchange rate models of the 1970’s: Do they fit out of sample?, Journal of International Economics, 14, 3-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1996(83)90017-X