- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Exploring Integrated Design Strategies for the Optimal Use of BIM
- Park, Hyoung-June (School of Architecture, University of Hawaii) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hyun (Graduate School of Culture Technology, KAIST)
- Received : 2010.04.05
- Published : 2010.12.30
This paper introduces an experimental design studio that explores the optimal use of current digital technologies in order to employ Building Information Modeling at the early phase of design process. Based upon the outcomes from the aforementioned studio, the paper discusses the integrated design strategies for BIM in the design process. In this paper, BIM is proposed as a design tool that increases an overal design productivity more effectively and efficiently compared to BIM as a construction tool with encouraging a design communication among different partakers in the design process.
- Abelson, H. and Sussman, G. J. (1996) Structure and Interpretation of Programs, The MIT press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 79-93.
- Bernstein, P.G. and Pittman, J.H. (2004) "Barriers to the Adoption of Building Information Modeling in the Building Industry," Autodesk White Paper.
- Cheng, R. (2006) "Suggestions for an integrative education," AIA Report on integrated practice.
- Fallon, K.K. and Hagen, S.R. (2006) "Information for the facility life cycle," AIA Report on integrated practice.
- Friedman, D.S. (2006) "Architectural Education on the Verge," AIA APPLIED LEARNING.
- Kolarevic, B. (2003) Architecture in the Digital Age: Design and Manufacturing, New York; Spon Press.
- Onuma, K.G. (2006) "The twenty first century practitioner," AIA Report on integrated practice.
- Mitchell, W.J., Inouye, A.S., and Blumenthal, M.S. (2003) Beyond Productivity: Information Technology, Innovation, and Creativity, Washington D.C.; The National Academic Press.
- Ramakrishnan, R. (1998) Database Management Systems , WCB/McGraw-Hill, INC. Boston, Massachusetts, 614-645.
- Soutou, C. (2000) "Modeling relationships in objectrelational database", Data & Knowledge Engineering, vol. 36, 79-107.
- Creativity with Building Information Modelling Tools vol.2, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4018/ij3dim.2013010101