- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on Research Strategies for the Architectural Design Evaluation
- Han, Seung-Hoon (School of Architecture, Chonnam National University) ;
- Moon, Jin-Woo (Biohousing Research Institute, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2010.08.09
- Published : 2010.12.30
The aim of this paper is to evaluate the methodological strategies for the architectural design field of study mainly focused on qualitative and quantitative research designs. Firstly, this paper addresses the characteristics of the six approaches including their methodological aspects in general. Each strategy is assessed by the different approaches to give full insights in it. Secondly, it distinguishes the differences among six research approaches especially derived from qualitative and quantitative research designs. The differences are discussed in terms of the strengths and weaknesses of each strategy. Finally, this paper attempts to discuss about possible applications for introducing approaches to the research topic with which the exemplified research topic, a design evaluation system, deals. To investigate the applicability of the design methods employed, the following topic has been stated; how to develop a design evaluation system and what to be considered for unfolding the thrown topic in terms of strategic approaches in the field of architectural design researches reviewed through the study.
Research Design;Research Methodology;Comparative Study;Qualitative Research;Quantitative Research
- Atkinson, P. and Hammersley, M., "Chapter 5: Ethnography and Participant Observation," In Denzin, N. and Lincoln, Y. (eds.) Strategies for Qualitative Inquiry, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., pp. 110-136, 1998.
- Blalock, H., "Chapter 1: Introduction" and "Chapter 2: Theory, Measurement and Mathematics," Social Statistics. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., pp. 3-21, 1960.
- Brenner, M., Brown, J. and Canter, D., "Introduction," The Research Interview. London: Academic Press, pp.1-8, 1985.
- Boyer, E. and Mitgang, L., "Building Community: A New Future for Architecture Education and Practice", Princeton, NJ: Carnegie Foundation, 1996.
- Clipson, C., "Simulation for Planning and Design: A Review of Strategy and Technique," In R. W. Marans and D. Stokols (eds.) Environmental Simulation: Research and Policy Issues, New York: Plenum Press, pp.116-135, 1993.
- Cook, T.D. and Campbell, D.T., "Chapter 1: Causal Inference and Language of Experimentation," Quasi-Experimentation: Design and Analysis. New York: Houghton Mifflin, pp. 1-36, 1979.
- Coons, S. "An Outline of the Requirements for a Computer-Aided Design System", Proceedings of the Spring Joint Conference, Detroit, Michigan, May 1963, 1963.
- Crano, W. and Brewer, M., "Chapter 5: Correlational Design," Principle of Research in Social Psychology. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Co., pp. 90-113, 1973.
- Creswell, J.W., "Research Design: Qualitative & Quantitative Approaches," Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc., pp.116-135, 1994.
- Groat, L. N., "Chapter 6: Qualitative and Case Study Research: Understanding Complex Situations in Context," Pre-published Material Used for Architecture 813, Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan, pp. 1-19, 2000.
- Groat, L. N., "Analytical Matrices for Theoretical / Simulation Research," In the Class of Architecture 813, Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan, Winter, 2000.
- Han, S., "Working Prototype of Distributed Collaborative Architectural Design System", Dissertation for the Degree of Ph.D., The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2004.
- Holstein, J. and Gubrium, J., "Phenomenology, Ethnomethodology, and Interpretive Practice," In Denzin, N. and Lincoln, Y. (eds.) Strategies for Qualitative Inquiry, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., pp. 137-157, 1998.
- Isaac, J. and Michael, W., "Chapter 3: Guide to Research Designs, Methods and Strategies," Handbook in Research and Evaluation. San Diego: EDITS Publishers, pp.41-55, 1981.
- Jabi, W. "An Outline of the Requirements for a Computer-Supported Collaborative Design System", in Open House International, vol 21, no 3, 1996.
- Lansdown, J., "Visualizing Design Ideas", in Interacting with Virtual Environments, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Chichester, England, 1994.
- Lawrence, R., "A Psychological-Spatial Approach for Architectural Design," Journal of Environmental Psychology, 2(1), pp. 37-51, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-4944(82)80004-2
- Marans, R., "Chapter2: Survey Research," Behavioral Research and the Environment. New York: Van Nostrand-Reinhold, pp.41-81, 1987.
- March, L. and Stiny, G., "Spatial Systems in Architecture and Design: Some History and Logic," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Vol. 12, pp. 31-53, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1068/b120031
- McGinty, T., "Design and the Design Process", in Introduction to Architecture, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1979.
- Moon, J., "ANN-Based Model-Free Thermal Controls for Residential Buildings", Dissertation for the Degree of Ph.D., The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 2009.
- Mugerauer, R., "Introduction," Interpreting Environments: Tradition, Deconstruction, Hermeneutics, Austin, TX: University of Texas Press, pp. xv-xlvi, 1995.
- Preziosi, D., "The Question of Art History," In J. Chandler, A. Davidson and H. Harootunian (eds.) Questions of Evidence: Proof, Practice and Persuasian across the Disciplines, Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press, pp. 203-206, 1994.
- Richardson, F. and Fowers, B., "Interpretive Social Science," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 465-495, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764298041004003
- Stamps, A. E., "Simulation Effects on Environmental Preference," Journal of Environmental Management, 38, pp. 115-132, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1006/jema.1993.1033
- Strauss, A. L., "Chapter 1: Introduction," Qualitative Analysis for Social Scientist, New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, pp. 1-22, 1987.
- Strauss, A. and Corbin, J., "Grounded Theory Methodology: an overview," In Denzin, N. and Lincoln, Y. (eds.) Strategies for Qualitative Inquiry, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., pp. 158-183, 1998.
- Tosh, J., "Chapter 6: Writing and Interpretation" and "Chapter 9: History by the Numbers," The Pursuit of History, London, England: Logman, pp. 110-129, 1991.
- Wagner, H. M., "Chapter 1: The Art and Science of Executive Decisions," Principals of Operations Research with Applications to Managerial Decisions, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc., pp. 3-14, 1969.
- Wang, D. C., "A Cognitive-Aesthetic Theory of Dwelling: Anchoring the Discourse on the 'Concept of Dwelling' in Kant's Critique of Judgement," Ph.D. (Architecture) Dissertation, Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan, pp. 1-19, 1997.
- Winograd, T. and Flores, F., "Chapter 2: The Rationalistic Tradition" and "Chapter 6: Towards a New Orientation," Understanding Computers and Cognition, Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Inc., pp. 14-26; 70-79, 1969.
- Yin, R. K., Case Study Research, Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, Inc. pp. 13-45, 1984, 1989.
- Zeisel, J., "Chapter 5: Research Strategy: Approaches, Designs Settings" and "Chapter 6: Research Quality," Inquiry by Design. New York: Cambridge University Press, pp. 59-86, 1981.