- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Web Traffic Analysis according to the Link-down Duration of TCP and SCTP
링크다운 시간에 따른 TCP와 SCTP의 웹 트래픽 분석
- Received : 2009.11.20
- Accepted : 2010.01.08
- Published : 2010.03.28
The most popular world wide web traffic in the Internet uses TCP as the transport layer protocol. Since TCP utilizes the single path, it can not communicate with the correspondent host during the link-down. On the other hand, SCTP can still communicate with the other SCTP entity by using alternate path even while the primary path is down. Most of previous studies have conducted the performance comparison research between TCP and SCTP by using typical file transfer. Since web traffic with self-similarity is characterized by the packet inter-arrival times and shape parameter affecting the size of web file in the Pareto distribution, it is necessary to perform the experiments considering these parameters. This paper aims to compare the throughput between TCP and SCTP while varying parameters reflecting the web traffic characteristics in link-down environment. Experimental results for web traffic using NS-2 simulator show that the throughput of SCTP using multi-homing is better than that of TCP. Simulation also shows that TCP is more affected than SCTP by mean inter-arrival and shape parameters with regard to the web traffic. These results can be applied to estimate the performance variation of web traffic due to the duration of link-down.
Link-down;Web Traffic;SCTP;TCP;Pareto Distribution
- 송정화, 이미정, 고석주, “SCTP의 멀티호밍 특성에 대한 성능 평가”, 정보처리학회논문지, 제11-C권, 제2호 통권 제91호, pp.245-252, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3745/KIPSTC.2004.11C.2.245
- R. Stewart and Q. Xie, Stream Control Transmission Protocol, IETF RFC 2960, 2000.
- R. Stewart and Q. Xie, Stream Control Transmission Protocol(SCTP) : A Reference Guide, Addison Wesely, 2001.
- 박재성, 고석주, “리눅스 환경에서 SCTP와 TCP 프로토콜의 성능 비교”, 한국통신학회지, 제33권, 제8호, pp.699-706, 2008.
- 최용운, 이용진, "링크다운 환경에서 TCP에 대한 SCTP의 멀티호밍 효과", 한국콘텐츠학회 논문지, 제9권, 제8호, pp.73-83, 2009.
- W. Stallings, High-speed Network : TCP/IP and ATM Design Principles, prentice hall, pp.181-207, 1998.
- M. Crovella and A. Bestavros, "Self-similarity in world-wide-web traffic: evidence and possible causes," Proceedings of ACM sigmetrics conference on measurement and modeling of computer systems," 1996(5). https://doi.org/10.1145/233013.233038
- K. Park and W. Willinger, Self-similar Network Traffic and Performance Evaluation, John Wiely and Sons, 2000.
- F. Nadei, Mir, Computer and Communication Networks, Pearson Education, 2007.
- E. Altman, Tania Jimenez, NS Simulation for beginners, Univ. de Los Andes, 2004.