- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design of an Asynchronous Instruction Cache based on a Mixed Delay Model
혼합 지연 모델에 기반한 비동기 명령어 캐시 설계
- 전광배 (충북대학교 정보통신 공학과) ;
- 김석만 (충북대학교 정보통신 공학과) ;
- 이제훈 (강원대학교 전자공학과) ;
- 오명훈 (한국전자통신연구원) ;
- 조경록 (충북대학교 정보통신 공학과)
- Received : 2010.01.26
- Accepted : 2010.03.22
- Published : 2010.03.28
Recently, to achieve high performance of the processor, the cache is splits physically into two parts, one for instruction and one for data. This paper proposes an architecture of asynchronous instruction cache based on mixed-delay model that are DI(delay-insensitive) model for cache hit and Bundled delay model for cache miss. We synthesized the instruction cache at gate-level and constructed a test platform with 32-bit embedded processor EISC to evaluate performance. The cache communicates with the main memory and CPU using 4-phase hand-shake protocol. It has a 8-KB, 4-way set associative memory that employs Pseudo-LRU replacement algorithm. As the results, the designed cache shows 99% cache hit ratio and reduced latency to 68% tested on the platform with MI bench mark programs.
Completion Signal;Cache Memory;Delay-Insensitive;CAM
Supported by : 교육과학기술부, 한국산업기술재단
- J. Montanaro, R. T. Witek, K. Anne, and A. J. Black, “A 160-MHz, 32-b, 0.5-W CMOS RISC microprocessor,” IEEE Journal of ISSCC, Vol.31, No.11, pp.1703-1714, 1996(11).
- S. N. Kim, S. W. Kim, Y. W. Kim, M. H. Oh, and C. H. Shin, "Ultra low power asynchronous processor development," Technical Report 09ZH1230-01-7030P, ETRI, 2009(12).
- M. R. Guthaus, J. S. Ringenberg, D. Ernst, T. M. Austin, T. R. Mudge, and B. Brown, "MiBench: A free, commercially representative embedded benchmark suite," Proc. WWC-4.2001, pp.3-14, 2001(12).
- D. Hormdee and J. D. Garside, "AMULET3i cache architecture," Proc. ASYNC'2001, pp.152-161, 2001(3).
- Z. Wang, S. Das, H. Che, and M. Kumar, "SACCS: Scalable Asynchronous Cache Consistency Scheme for Mobile Environments," Proc. ICDCSW'03, pp.797-802, 2003(5).
- J. M. Colmenar, O. Garnica, S. Lopez, J. I. Hidalgo, J. Lanchares, and R. Hermida, "Empirical characterization of the latency of long asynchronous pipelines with data-dependent module delays," Proc. 12th EUROMICROPDP' 04, pp.311-321, 2004(2).
- J. Battogtokh and K. R. Cho, "Design of a DI model-based Content Addressable Memory for Asynchronous Cache," International Journal of Contents, Vol.5, No.2, pp.53-58, 2009(6). https://doi.org/10.5392/IJoC.2009.5.2.053
- K, Osada, H. Higuchi, K. Ishibashi, N. Hashimoto, and K. Shiozawa, "A 2 ns access, 285 MHz, two-port cache macro using double global bit-line pairs," Proc. ISSCC'97, pp.402-403, 1997(2).
- Virantha N. Ekanayak and Rajit Manohar, "Asynchronous DRAM Design and Synthesis," Proc. Asynchronous Circuits and Systems, pp.174-183, 2003(5).