- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Occupational Socialization of the Security Guards in the Casinos - Case of Security Science Majors -
카지노 시큐리티 종사자의 직업사회화 과정 - 경호학 전공자들을 대상으로 -
- Chun, Yong-Tae (University of Texas Pan-American Department of Health & Kinesiology)
- Received : 2010.03.10
- Accepted : 2010.03.18
- Published : 2010.03.28
The purpose of this study is to explore how security science graduates in casinos are socialized into the workplace. Participants for this study were seven security guards who work for two of three casinos for foreign customers in the city of Seoul. All the participants majored in the security science in colleges. They had 1 to 5 years of work experience. Their main job responsibilities were deterrent to crimes and watch for impending danger in the casinos. A variety of qualitative data collection techniques for this study included formal and informal interviews, stimulated-recall interview, observations, and field notes. Analytic induction and constant comparison were utilized to analyze data. Triangulating and member checks were employed to enhance trustworthiness. The findings of this study were as follow: Firstly, In acculturation, sports experience and media attraction were revealed as factors. Secondly, In professional socialization, college education and senior students in the program were found. Lastly, organizational socialization, Difficulty of relationship, lack of risk management training, lack of team cohesion, pride himself as a security guard, and unclear evaluation system. In conclusion, a variety of influential factors appeared through his occupational socialization even though there were negative and positive factors.
Casino Security Guards;Occupational Socialization;Acculturation;Professional Socialization;Organizational Socialization
- Y. T. Chun, The Effect of Exercise Behavior Change of Casino Securities on Their Physical Self-description. non published doctor's thesis, Kyonggi university, 2007.
- Y. T. Chun and J. I. Oh, The Relationship between the Stage of Exercise Behavior Change and Physical Self-Concept and Self-Efficacy of Casino Security Employees. Korean Security Science Association. 21, pp.95-120, 2009.
- B. W. Gong, The Research of the Development of Security Industrial and Professional Certificate in the Private Security. Korean Security Science Association. 9, pp.1-25, 2005.
- IM, M. S. The Study on the Effect of Casino Attributes to the Casino Choice. non published master's thesis, Kyungsung university, 2009.
- S. S. Jung, The Effects of Practicing Security Service Martial Arts to Duty Satisfaction and Organization Dedication of Body Guards. non published doctor's thesis, Yongin university, 2005.
- J. Y. Kim, The Relationship between Urban Workers Leisure Flow Experience and Leisure Satisfaction. non published master's thesis, Yonsei university, 2005.
- S. A. Kim, A Study of Occupational Socialization Process of Security and Secretary Service. non published doctor's thesis, Kyonggi university, 2008.
- H. S. Noh, The Effect of Facial Expression on Casino Service Provior Evaluation. non published doctor's thesis, Kyonggi university, 2007.
- S. Campbell, Coaching education around the world, Sport Science Review, 2, pp.62-74, 1993.
- M. D. Curtner-Smith, The impact of biography, teacher education, and organizational socialization on perspectives and practices of first year physical education teachers: Case studies of recruits with coaching orientations. Sport, Education and Society, (2), pp.73-94, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/1357332970020105
- M. D. Curtner-Smith, The occupational socialization of a first year physical education teacher with a teaching orientation. Sport, Education and Society, (9), pp.347-377, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/13573320412331302430
- S. A. Doolittle, P. Dodds, and J. H. Placek, Persistence of beliefs about teaching during formal training of preservice teachers. In S. Stroot (Ed.), Socialization into physical education [Monograph]. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education,(12), pp.355-365, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.12.4.355
- J. P. Goetz and M. D. LeCompte, Ethnography and qualitative design ineducational research. Orlando, FL:Academic Press. 1984
- D. Gould, J. Giannini, V. Krane, and K. Hodge, Educational needs of elite U.S. National Team, Pan-American, and Olympic coaches. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education,(9), pp.332-344, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.9.4.332
- G. E. Hutchinson, Prospective teachers’ perspectives on teaching physical education: An interview study on the recruitment phase of teacher socialization. In S. Stroot (Ed.), Socialization into physical education [Monograph]. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, (12), pp.344-354, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.12.4.344
- M. James and M. Murray, Choosing a Career in Athletic Training: Exploring the Perceptions of Potential Recruits. Journal of Athletic Training, Vol.43, No.1, pp.70-79, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-43.1.70
- H. A. Lawson, Toward a model of teacher socialization in physical education: The subjective warrant, recruitment, and teacher education. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education,(2), pp.3-16, 1983a.
- H. A. Lawson, Toward a model of teacher socialization in physical education: Entry into schools, teachers’ role orientations, and longevity in teaching. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education,(3), pp.3-15, 1983b.
- H. A. Lawson, Occupational socialization and the design of teacher education programs. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education,(5) pp.107-116, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1123/jtpe.5.2.107
- M. D. LeCompte and J. Preissle, Ethnography and qualitative design in educational research. San Diego, CA, Academic Press, 1993].
- Y. S. Lincoln and E. G. Guba, Naturalistic inquiry. London:Sage, 1985.
- D. A. McCullick, D. Belcher, and P. D. Schempp, What works in coaching and sport instructor certification program? The participant’s view. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, Vol.10, No.2, pp.121-137, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/17408980500105015
- M. Q. Patton, Qualitative evaluation and research methods (2nd ed.). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1990.
- G. H. Sage, Becoming a high school coach: from playing sports to coaching. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, Vol.60, No.1, pp.81-92, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.1989.10607417
- T. J. Templin and P. G. Schempp, Socialization into physical education: Learning to teach. Indianapolis, IN: Benchmark Press. 1989.
- J. Van Maanen and E. Schein, H.Toward a theory of organizational socialization. In B. Staw (Ed.), Research in organizational behavior,(Vol.1,pp.209-261). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press. 1979.